Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Aug 10, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #3,316 of 3,701
My hearing is that it's flat and slower. Flat as in not peaky, it's not V shaped at all. But they're clearly behind the Fostex in speed. It was the first thing I noticed.

The DT1770s seal better than Fostex, they're a bit more comfortable with the stock pads when it's hot, they clamp better, and are just better as an all-around set of cans with nothing that is glaringly problematic. I paid 400 euros shipped and I think that's about as much as I would pay. The HD 600 is better but I wanted a closed set.
I see. I think opennes is affecting the speed. 1770 is quite closed. Same driver 1990 is crazy fast. Fostex's are not truly closed either. I don't think Fostex driver is as fast as tesla Beyer. Haven't heard it though.

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #3,317 of 3,701
I see. I think opennes is affecting the speed. 1770 is quite closed. Same driver 1990 is crazy fast. Fostex's are not truly closed either. I don't think Fostex driver is as fast as tesla Beyer. Haven't heard it though.

Well if you haven't heard it I'm not sure why you say you don't think it's faster. I have both of them and the Fostex is way ahead on speed and clarity of bass. It doesn't make sense to say the 1990 is crazy fast in a vacuum. What are you comparing it to?

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #3,318 of 3,701
Well if you haven't heard it I'm not sure why you say you don't think it's faster. I have both of them and the Fostex is way ahead on speed and clarity of bass. It doesn't make sense to say the 1990 is crazy fast in a vacuum. What are you comparing it to?
I'm comparing it to Ananda and little brother of Foster biocellulose driver CAL. Did you listen 1990 ?
I respect your opinion. It's just my guess that 1990 is faster and more resolving than Fostex.

Aug 11, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #3,319 of 3,701
I'm comparing it to Ananda and little brother of Foster biocellulose driver CAL. Did you listen 1990 ?
I respect your opinion. It's just my guess that 1990 is faster and more resolving than Fostex.

I have not listened to the 1990 and I think your point about being closed vs. open affecting the sound must be true. I would expect the open one to have a different tuning and character than the closed. At the same time, it's difficult to imagine the open version could be so different in speed or clarity.

Aug 13, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #3,320 of 3,701
So i scooped up a pair of DT1770 Pro's after needing a pair of closed back headphones (and finding a good pair used for $320). So far I'm liking them, however, after a few moments ive noticed that, (comparatively to a pair of HD6xx):
1. The treble doesn't bother me one bit, in fact i find it to be pretty clear.
2. The mids seem VERY muted, compared to the..
3. Really overpowering bass, to me it sounds very exaggerated.
Removing the foam pads as mentioned in another thread helped open the mids up a bit, but im wondering if there's a way to "tame" the lows on these short of EQ?

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #3,321 of 3,701
So i scooped up a pair of DT1770 Pro's after needing a pair of closed back headphones (and finding a good pair used for $320). So far I'm liking them, however, after a few moments ive noticed that, (comparatively to a pair of HD6xx):
1. The treble doesn't bother me one bit, in fact i find it to be pretty clear.
2. The mids seem VERY muted, compared to the..
3. Really overpowering bass, to me it sounds very exaggerated.
Removing the foam pads as mentioned in another thread helped open the mids up a bit, but im wondering if there's a way to "tame" the lows on these short of EQ?
What kind of pads are on them? stock velour?

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #3,322 of 3,701
What kind of pads are on them? stock velour?
Using the stock velour the bass is very "droney" to me, and with the stock leatherette its more punchy, but still very overpowering.
EDIT: Should also mention its plugged into a magni3+/Mimby if it matters. The best way i can describe the bass is akin to the sound of someone in the car next to you at a light with an oversized and overpowered subwoofer blasting

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #3,323 of 3,701
If you can run them off a better amp and DAC it might be a lot different. My impressions of the DT1770 are really different from yours and I know the Sennheiser house sound very well. I don't have an explanation for how different our impressions are.

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #3,324 of 3,701
Using the stock velour the bass is very "droney" to me, and with the stock leatherette its more punchy, but still very overpowering.
EDIT: Should also mention its plugged into a magni3+/Mimby if it matters. The best way i can describe the bass is akin to the sound of someone in the car next to you at a light with an oversized and overpowered subwoofer blasting
Nah it doesn’t matter what dac or amp you pair it with. The headphone will not magically change to another. The DT1770 is pretty much how you describe it: big bass, muted mids and then a surge of energy in the treble, which luckily enough for you doesn’t annoy.
Buy yeah you can EQ the critter to your liking or perhaps do a bit of pad-swaps...but don’t expect it to turn into the HD650:wink:
If you dig your mids as well as the overall balanced presentation of the Sennheiser, then I would recommend trying out the K371. Pretty much the closest I’ve come to hearing a neutral closedback yet.
...and it’s dirt cheap!

Aug 14, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #3,325 of 3,701

I've not heard the DT1770 Pro, but have experience with the Drop variant. The DT177X. You can check some graphs to see the changes between the two.

1597400896249.png

Looks like the difference is mainly in the top end. And here is the Sheepskin vs the velour.

1597401032761.png

As you can see, the pads even out the low end very nicely.

Those had a very controlled bass with the included replacement sheepskin leather pads. I think they were the Dekoni Sheepskin. Sure looked like them. MUCH more comfortable than with the stock velours and cleaned up the bass nicely. Isolated better too. Very, very pleasant bass with those pads. Not boomy or overpowering at all. If the Dekoni are too expensive for you, you can check the Brainwavz Sheepskin. The hole for the ear is a little smaller on the Brainwavz (55mm vs 60mm on the Dekoni), but they are half the price.

I used the DT177X from a MacBook > Magni 2 and a Fiio K5 Pro. Did not hear any audible difference.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #3,326 of 3,701
Nah it doesn’t matter what dac or amp you pair it with. The headphone will not magically change to another. The DT1770 is pretty much how you describe it: big bass, muted mids and then a surge of energy in the treble, which luckily enough for you doesn’t annoy.
Buy yeah you can EQ the critter to your liking or perhaps do a bit of pad-swaps...but don’t expect it to turn into the HD650:wink:
If you dig your mids as well as the overall balanced presentation of the Sennheiser, then I would recommend trying out the K371. Pretty much the closest I’ve come to hearing a neutral closedback yet.
...and it’s dirt cheap!

I've actually been really liking the sound that's there on these, I was listening to The Protomen's cover of In the Air Tonight, and the drum solo bit in the middle caught my attention big time. Part of buying them was to try a new sound as well as get closed backs anyways. If I can just get the boomy bass under a control a bit, I can tell I'll love them.
If I can't find a configuration to my liking I'll give the k371 a shot though!

Those had a very controlled bass with the included replacement sheepskin leather pads. I think they were the Dekoni Sheepskin. Sure looked like them. MUCH more comfortable than with the stock velours and cleaned up the bass nicely. Isolated better too. Very, very pleasant bass with those pads. Not boomy or overpowering at all. If the Dekoni are too expensive for you, you can check the Brainwavz Sheepskin. The hole for the ear is a little smaller on the Brainwavz (55mm vs 60mm on the Dekoni), but they are half the price.

Thank you for the very detailed response! I do have a replacement pair of dekoni velours on the way already, since the stock pads looked uncomfortable to me (and are). I have noticed a lot of big changes to sound with different pads on these, so I'll try a set of sheepskin pads out next.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #3,327 of 3,701
I received mine today. I'm a bit hangover so not a good time to judge the headphone but i'll write my first impressions anyway.

1- I'll start with this. Bass is too much. Really.
2- Build is EXCELLENT. Every headphone on earth should be like this but with a slightly bigger earcups.

I've compared it to my DT 770 which is quite old. Earpads are new but i've played with it's clamp so i guess it clamps lighter than brand new DT 770.
770 earpads are more comfy. Haven't measure the openings but it feels bigger. 1770 earpads and whole headphone is a bit more stiff and feels smaller, less mushy. You can feel the shape of earpads on these. Clamping force is higher too. From my memory 1990 had more clamping force but not sure.

DT 770 is more open sounding. 1770 is really closed back. Have all the pros and cons of being closed back. Worth noting open/close sound and soundstage are different things. 1770 have good soundstage. Background is black, clarity is good, sound more precise and have better definition. DT 770 have better air, openness, soundstage and more balanced sound.

A bit early but DT 1990 is really couple of tier above this headphone. Their price and naming make you think they are same tier but no. 1990 have much better bass, slams harder than DT 1770. Bass agility, speed, control, detail everything is better on the 1990.

I'll update later.

Edit: A quick comparison to Ananda. There is like half of the song is missing on the 1770 lol

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #3,328 of 3,701
... Actually, I might sound and be crazy, but a friend pointed out that the headphones i got second hand have some odd details in the manufacturing, and now I'm worried these might be counterfeit/messed with?
For example:
EFExgRh.jpeg

YTP7K3p.jpg

The arm clamps don't match the round ones used on the DT1770/1990 series, but are the square ones from the DT770 etc, series, as well as the torx screws being a bit stripped out in the middle:

4hCZhFu.jpeg

Maybe I'm overthinking and Beyer just made these on a holiday weekend friday, or perhaps they were tampered with and replaced the drivers with the DT770s to save a buck?

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #3,329 of 3,701
Where did you buy them? My clamps are the round ones not the rectangular ones from the set you got.

Also noticed your yokes look wrong.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back