Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Aug 15, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #3,361 of 3,701
No. Not crazy about them. They are built great. Very premium, but the sound was just a bit....unexciting. They had detail and if the pads are switched, the may have more soundstage and bass, but out of the box they did not impress me. They were just....good. Maybe if they were 30-40% off - yes. But full price, they were a little more expensive than the 177x and for something I didn’t like that much, I decided to not get them.

I ended up buying the T5p which are twice the price of the 177x. Not twice as good sounding, as I mention in the review. Seal is not there, pads are garbage. Waiting on the replacement pads next week. They are staring to sound better with time, though. Maybe I am getting used to them. :)

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #3,362 of 3,701
No. Not crazy about them. They are built great. Very premium, but the sound was just a bit....unexciting. They had detail and if the pads are switched, the may have more soundstage and bass, but out of the box they did not impress me. They were just....good. Maybe if they were 30-40% off - yes. But full price, they were a little more expensive than the 177x and for something I didn’t like that much, I decided to not get them.

I ended up buying the T5p which are twice the price of the 177x. Not twice as good sounding, as I mention in the review. Seal is not there, pads are garbage. Waiting on the replacement pads next week. They are staring to sound better with time, though. Maybe I am getting used to them. :)
Thanks for the info - appreciate it. Sounds like QC is an issue. I do manufacturing quality for a living, which is one reason I'm all about well-made cans.

Aug 18, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #3,363 of 3,701
Update: Just got a new, legitimate, unused pair of these with the actual right drivers, and just WOW. They're... amazing. The bass on the real ones is actually AMAZING, strong but I like it. I can definitely hear the mids reccessed a bit, but seeing as my vali 2 is pushing these pretty handily, I can just tube eq it if i want to. Highs are actually delightful, sound very clear. Listening to some rock and metal, followed by some electronic, with very screechy highs and some really present bass, I can't yet find a fault really. I am very happy with them.

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #3,364 of 3,701
Update: Just got a new, legitimate, unused pair of these with the actual right drivers, and just WOW. They're... amazing. The bass on the real ones is actually AMAZING, strong but I like it. I can definitely hear the mids reccessed a bit, but seeing as my vali 2 is pushing these pretty handily, I can just tube eq it if i want to. Highs are actually delightful, sound very clear. Listening to some rock and metal, followed by some electronic, with very screechy highs and some really present bass, I can't yet find a fault really. I am very happy with them.
Thanks for the review - what do you mean by "legitimate.. with the actual right drivers"? Do you mean a non-Massdrop version?

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #3,366 of 3,701

With more amp I suspect they will sound cleaner. Glad you got it straightened out.

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #3,367 of 3,701

Congratulations. Pads will still benefit you, though. :)

What happened with the crappy pair?

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #3,368 of 3,701
Congratulations. Pads will still benefit you, though. :)

What happened with the crappy pair?
Thanks! Gonna try playing with pads soon.

The bum pair is just kind of sitting here, still not sure if I should part them out, which is really just the headband and earcups, or find something to cram into them... I was jokingly looking for fostek tr50 coils to put in them lol.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #3,373 of 3,701
"Practice your electrical fire response right from the comfort of your own desk!"

Hail, hail, the halon's here, da da da da da, da da da da da da

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #3,374 of 3,701
This headphone made me question the diminishing returns. It's apple vs orange yes but there is a huge sound quality difference between Ananda and this.

I think diminishing returns overrated when it comes to headphones. It's true for dacs and amps though.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #3,375 of 3,701
This headphone made me question the diminishing returns. It's apple vs orange yes but there is a huge sound quality difference between Ananda and this.

I think diminishing returns overrated when it comes to headphones. It's true for dacs and amps though.

Maybe it's not true for DACs and amps either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back