Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Aug 21, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #3,376 of 3,701
This headphone made me question the diminishing returns. It's apple vs orange yes but there is a huge sound quality difference between Ananda and this.

I think diminishing returns overrated when it comes to headphones. It's true for dacs and amps though.

Are you saying that the Ananda is much better?
Ananda is open planar, this one is closed dynamic. You should compare the Ananda to the T1 or the DT1990, not to this.

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #3,377 of 3,701
Well, I ended up getting the Neumann NDH20s, and wow, I really did not like them. In short, they sounded like Sennheisers to me, and I've never found a pair of Sennheisers that I like.
So - I am back to wanting to try the DT-1770s as a compliment to my DT-1990s.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #3,378 of 3,701
Well, I ended up getting the Neumann NDH20s, and wow, I really did not like them. In short, they sounded like Sennheisers to me, and I've never found a pair of Sennheisers that I like.
So - I am back to wanting to try the DT-1770s as a compliment to my DT-1990s.

Well, the Neumann headphones are made by Sennheiser, so I guess you have pretty sharp ears :)

To be honest, the DT1770s sound kinda like how I imagine a closed pair of HD 600s would sound. For me that's a good thing but...

Anyway, make sure you have an amp that can supply enough voltage. The 250 ohm DT1770s need it almost as much as a pair of 300 ohm Sennheisers do.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #3,379 of 3,701
Well, the Neumann headphones are made by Sennheiser, so I guess you have pretty sharp ears :)

To be honest, the DT1770s sound kinda like how I imagine a closed pair of HD 600s would sound. For me that's a good thing but...

Anyway, make sure you have an amp that can supply enough voltage. The 250 ohm DT1770s need it almost as much as a pair of 300 ohm Sennheisers do.
Thanks. What I'm really looking for is a pair of headphones that I can drive with my Sony music player (low impedance), that sound close to the DT-1990s...there are so many headphones out there, and so many good ones, too. I can drive my DT-1990s with my player, but barely. I have the Beyer amplifier, which pairs beautifully with the 1990s...but I need something that can sound great with the Sony player. But then again...I'm really a fan of the Beyer Tesla sound.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #3,380 of 3,701
Maybe Sundara, but I haven't heard it.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #3,382 of 3,701
Are there other headphones that has the bass of the DT770? I have the DT770 and love it but sometimes the treble is a bit too much.

-edit-
I read 770 but it's 1770... Stupid me.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #3,383 of 3,701
Are there other headphones that has the bass of the DT770? I have the DT770 and love it but sometimes the treble is a bit too much.

-edit-
I read 770 but it's 1770... Stupid me.

I don't consider the bass of the DT1770 outstanding. Not sure what you're looking for but...

Fostex has the best quality bass that I have heard, they're lightning fast and percussion sounds incredibly lifelike. But the mids are too scooped out (V signature) for me for most music. I haven't heard the TH900, maybe it's better. Planars generally have tremendous slam and impactful bass. LCD-2C is great.

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #3,384 of 3,701
I don't consider the bass of the DT1770 outstanding. Not sure what you're looking for but...

Fostex has the best quality bass that I have heard, they're lightning fast and percussion sounds incredibly lifelike. But the mids are too scooped out (V signature) for me for most music. I haven't heard the TH900, maybe it's better. Planars generally have tremendous slam and impactful bass. LCD-2C is great.
Yep, I misread the topic :frowning2:

It's the bass of the 770, the powerfull bass response is it. But I also use APO Equalizer to tame the treble.
The headphones has to be buyable from EU otherwise fees and customs but I'll check out the planars. What about the HiFiman Sundara?

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #3,385 of 3,701

It's the bass of the 770, the powerfull bass response is it. But I also use APO Equalizer to tame the treble.
The headphones has to be buyable from EU otherwise fees and customs but I'll check out the planars. What about the HiFiman Sundara?

I'm not sure I get what you're after and I don't know the sound signature of the 770. You can get a pair of Sundaras in Europe no problem. The LCD-2C is probably better but it costs more. Jan Meier used to carry Sundaras but I don't see them anymore on this page http://meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de

You can contact him or find a local shop. I can recommend the LCD-2C though. They're warm, they slam, no objectionable anything. Pretty faultless at the price.

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #3,386 of 3,701
I'm not sure I get what you're after and I don't know the sound signature of the 770. You can get a pair of Sundaras in Europe no problem. The LCD-2C is probably better but it costs more. Jan Meier used to carry Sundaras but I don't see them anymore on this page http://meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de

You can contact him or find a local shop. I can recommend the LCD-2C though. They're warm, they slam, no objectionable anything. Pretty faultless at the price.
Ah okay understood. I blame CTR640 for not reading the title very properly.

One store sells the Sundara for €349. Will check out the LCD-2 too.

Sep 1, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #3,387 of 3,701
Thanks. What I'm really looking for is a pair of headphones that I can drive with my Sony music player (low impedance), that sound close to the DT-1990s...there are so many headphones out there, and so many good ones, too. I can drive my DT-1990s with my player, but barely. I have the Beyer amplifier, which pairs beautifully with the 1990s...but I need something that can sound great with the Sony player. But then again...I'm really a fan of the Beyer Tesla sound.

I don't know if you have any EQ capability but I've found the Focal Elegias to be pretty similar to my A-pad 1990s. Enough difference that they're distinct but the overall clarity/precision, balance, and impact characteristics are there.

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #3,388 of 3,701

I started with 770 too. I love them. I tried couple of headphones along the way. Honestly 1770 is the less treble version of dt 770 but it's really not good. I don't recommend them. DT 770 better than 1770 in my opinion. Sundara doesn't have much bass. Ananda have nice extended bass but it's overall lean sounding headphone with lots of vocals compared to 770. Haven't heard Audeze but their bass is famous. I can recommend 1990. It has overall similiar sound to 770 but even more bright and way more fatiguing. My recommendation is Amiron Home or the newest T1.3 for you. Haven't listened it yet but my impression is that Amiron Home will be very good for immersive gaming and movies.

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #3,390 of 3,701

You left out the missing upper midrange and the down sloped upper treble. I can't see anyone that likes the 770 finding the LCD-2C suitable. Not a fan of either myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back