Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Feb 21, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #2,401 of 2,575
Since no one answered, I took it upon myself to order this cable and try it out..

Before buying, I looked up the specs of the Klotz cable and knew it was low resistance MIC cable, but I am surprised at the difference it makes in sound.
The entire soundstage seems somewhat more defined and slightly better lows.

The Klotz cable is as thick as my vacuum cleaner power cable, although flexible, so expect a slight pull depending on your position.

I measured both the original DT150 cable and this new Klotz cable and the resistance difference is huge.
Original DT150 cable resistanace is about 1.6ohm and the Klotz cable is 0.4hm (measured with a Fluke 179)
At such a short length, headphone cables cannot make any difference in sound. What you heard was placebo effect. Don't waste your time.

Feb 21, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #2,402 of 2,575
Oh I forgot to say; I'm also using the thick acoustic foam over the driver, this gives my ears a good cm less depth in the cups, but I like the smoother highs so I don't bother removing it.

As for your request, there are these pads on ebay that have velour on the top and have the same shape as the DT 150 pads. Just select the "Velour leather" option

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Lambskin-Le...hash=item214019f04b:m:m6JSVCPUlltC4mABkRq559Q
Thank you! These look great and seem pretty deep. Ordered! Hopefully they'll do the trick!
You say you're using extra foam to smooth the highs. I love smooth and dark signatures, that's why I got the 150s. Do you feel they aren't smooth enough stock? I will probably do the same thing you did. I can't get enough of dark, warm sounds...

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #2,403 of 2,575
Thank you! These look great and seem pretty deep. Ordered! Hopefully they'll do the trick!
You say you're using extra foam to smooth the highs. I love smooth and dark signatures, that's why I got the 150s. Do you feel they aren't smooth enough stock? I will probably do the same thing you did. I can't get enough of dark, warm sounds...
The last time I've tried them without the foam was in another pair I've had in 2017.

They would be smooth without the foam on the stock pads, but on the DT-100 velour they're just a tiny bit too zingy without the foam for my taste.

The DT250-250 ohm, despite having velours, is never out of control and always smooth.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #2,404 of 2,575
The last time I've tried them without the foam was in another pair I've had in 2017.

They would be smooth without the foam on the stock pads, but on the DT-100 velour they're just a tiny bit too zingy without the foam for my taste.

The DT250-250 ohm, despite having velours, is never out of control and always smooth.

Oh, so the DT250s are even smoother then, hmm? I couldn't decide between the 250 and 150 and went with the 150 just because I noticed the 250 pads were too small for most ears. I'm a sucker for smooth and dark headphones. Should have gone with the 250.

Feb 21, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #2,405 of 2,575
Oh, so the DT250s are even smoother then, hmm? I couldn't decide between the 250 and 150 and went with the 150 just because I noticed the 250 pads were too small for most ears. I'm a sucker for smooth and dark headphones. Should have gone with the 250.
Yes, the DT-250 are smoother (the 250 ohm version that is, haven't tested the 80 ohm version but I've read that it is less refined/more grainy)

It's indeed a matter of if you're willing to put up with the smaller earpads, which are more on-ear than over ear, and they're shallower than the DT-100 velours. And the smaller soundstage, but that really doesn't bother me personally, since I prefer an intimate, smooth natural sound over a wide, airy one.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #2,406 of 2,575
IMO, the DT250-250 are the ultimate portable cans...

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #2,407 of 2,575
IMO, the DT250-250 are the ultimate portable cans...
They're ''better'', as in more natural and correct sounding, than even most home cans (Hifiman HE-400i, Audeze EL-8 open, Audio Technica AD1000x) I've tried... They would be in the same league as the HD 650 and modded (better than stock) Hifiman HE-500, in terms of natural timbre.

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2,408 of 2,575
IMG20200415215400.jpg

Hi fellow DT-150 users, I shall proudly present my DT-150 after spending a decent amount of time with it. I had made several pad-rolling attempts:
1. The original pad maintained the "huge" sound, but made the headphone sound a bit too V-shaped and boxy for my taste. In addition, I live in a tropical country and the pad sealed really good, so it actually made my ears sweat like crazy.
2. I could not get the velour pad of the DT-100, so I accidentally bought the leather pad instead. It did not solve the problem, since it made the headphone sounds "mushy"; the bass is soft and without impact.
3. I had bought a velour pad of SRH-1840 according to recommendation of someone in this thread and it did a decent job, as it balanced out the sound quite a bit, but had shallow fit and reduced that "huge" sound.
4. At last, yesterday, I got my hand on one of those Acoustic Research AR-H1 leather pad (velvet on the earcup) and it seemed to be the best at the moment. It balanced out the sound, kept that "huge" sound, rumble bass, fitted decently and did not heat up that fast (due to the velvet, allowing the heat to escape).

As you can see in the picture above, the Beyerdynamic DT-150 is fitted with Acoustic Research AR-H1 leather pad (velvet on the earcup), re-cabled with Duelund 26AWG pure silver, single-core, Viablue 3.5mm plug. It is powered by a MYTH Audio (Vietnamese local brand) Rosmerta, a desktop R2R, AD1862 DAC and a Dynalo MKII Single-ended, connected by a VH Audio UniCrystal OCC Copper RCA.

The Duelund cable tamed and refined the high-mid and treble decently. The AD1862 DAC brought an airy, natural presentation, rivalling Hugo 2 in technicality but less "dry", while the Dynalo MK2 headamp expanded the soundstage, improved on the high frequency and added impacts to the low section.

Overall, I could not be happier with my DT-150, as it would continue to be my go-to headphone at home for a long time. At office, my preference remained to be the DT-250 though. :beyersmile:

Happy listening, and stay safe!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #2,409 of 2,575
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the stock DT-150 pads are the same with those of the DT-100?
I just got a good deal of the DT-100 but the pads are seriously worn (at least according to photos) and am planning to use the DT-150 stock pads on those.
I have a spare pair of DT150 original pads as I had myself custom-made pads for the DT-150.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #2,411 of 2,575
Acoustic Research AR-H1 need to come with a warning! They aren't deep enough. Not nearly as deep as the original DT 150 pads. So your ears could touch the drivers and actually decrease the comfort.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #2,412 of 2,575
Acoustic Research AR-H1 need to come with a warning! They aren't deep enough. Not nearly as deep as the original DT 150 pads. So your ears could touch the drivers and actually decrease the comfort.

Really? I have the AR pads and find them to be significantly deeper than the stock pads.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #2,413 of 2,575
Really? I have the AR pads and find them to be significantly deeper than the stock pads.

How strange! Significantly deeper? You must know that the stock pads are already ridiculously deep, right?

Maybe they were old and worn out... I've trying them on a friend's set up. Mine still have the stock pads and they are perfectly deep, but I would love that velour feel.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #2,414 of 2,575
How strange! Significantly deeper? You must know that the stock pads are already ridiculously deep, right?

Maybe they were old and worn out... I've trying them on a friend's set up. Mine still have the stock pads and they are perfectly deep, but I would love that velour feel.

Maybe not SIGNIFICANTLY (I may have hyperbolized there), but eyeing the two pads side-by-side, the stock is about 3/4 the depth of the AR. Also, the stock has a beveled inner edge which causes my ear to sit closer to -- and sometimes touch -- the driver area. I never feel my ears touch with the AR pads.

I've tried so many different pads with the DT150 (stocks, multiple brainwavs, zmf oval, etc) and the AR are my preference overall.

Apr 18, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #2,415 of 2,575
Maybe not SIGNIFICANTLY (I may have hyperbolized there), but eyeing the two pads side-by-side, the stock is about 3/4 the depth of the AR. Also, the stock has a beveled inner edge which causes my ear to sit closer to -- and sometimes touch -- the driver area. I never feel my ears touch with the AR pads.

I've tried so many different pads with the DT150 (stocks, multiple brainwavs, zmf oval, etc) and the AR are my preference overall.

Same here - I think the AR-H1 velvet/leather pad is my preference as well.

I think your ears can only touch the drivers if the earcups are pushed to your head, since the AR-H1 pads are a bit softer than the original pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back