Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Oct 29, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #2,281 of 2,575
In addition. The DT150 are pretty spaceous sounding phone for a closed back in my opinion. They are surprisingly similar sounding to Sennheiser HD600, which I used to have but sold because I preferred the X2.

The DT's are good bang for the buck but I'd spend the extra on Classic 99's. Which aren't as spaceous btw :)

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #2,282 of 2,575
I dont know about the Neo but at least the Classic 99 are way better than DT150 in my opinion.

I still own the dt, classics and X2. I'd say enjoy the Classics and X2 almost as much. If I can use open phones (environment wise), I usually go for X2.

The dt's have been collecting dust for quite a while now. I used to use them at work but lately I've been using Blue Mofi's instead.

All in all I'd say the Classic 99's are my all time favourite phones.

When I tried both, I thought the DT 150 was better, had the 99 Classics in house for a week, but I also tried the original version of the Meze 99 Classics with those smaller more uncomfortable earpads. I did think the Classics sounded better than the Neos though, the plastic earcups of Neo's seemed to of hurt the treble and the sense of openness compared to the wood of the Classics. I currenlty use a T1.2, an Amiron Home, and a DT 480 as my go to headphones. Also have an HD 660 S but it's not used much.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #2,283 of 2,575
I dont know about the Neo but at least the Classic 99 are way better than DT150 in my opinion.

I still own the dt, classics and X2. I'd say enjoy the Classics and X2 almost as much. If I can use open phones (environment wise), I usually go for X2.

The dt's have been collecting dust for quite a while now. I used to use them at work but lately I've been using Blue Mofi's instead.

All in all I'd say the Classic 99's are my all time favourite phones.
First of all thank you for your answer.
Now you have listened to the headphones I am interested in.
Do you find the Classics as spacious as the DT150? And what put you off the DT150?
Isn't the bass of the Meze not bloated, in comparison to the DT150?
I know it is difficult but to what music do you listen the most?
Also does the Meze sit completely over the ear instead of on the ear?
Sorry for all these questions.

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #2,284 of 2,575
First of all thank you for your answer.
Now you have listened to the headphones I am interested in.
Do you find the Classics as spacious as the DT150? And what put you off the DT150?
Isn't the bass of the Meze not bloated, in comparison to the DT150?
I know it is difficult but to what music do you listen the most?
Also does the Meze sit completely over the ear instead of on the ear?
Sorry for all these questions.

Some imo answers:

1. No, the DT150's are more spacious in my opinion.
2. I think they sound a bit dull. I guess I'm mostly used to a bit punchier bass. And if I recall correctly, I also like the treble more in Classics. It's really been like year since I listened them, so it's a bit hard to recall the details.
3. I don't find it bloated, really, but I don't listen to especially bassy music much.
4. I'd say just pop/rock, metal and piano music. Mostly vocal heavy music.
5. They sit really nicely on my head and easily sit completely over ear. For me they are really comfy.

But the DT's are great phones too and I guess it's up to your budget also. As the DT's are only around 130 and Classics 309 here in EU. So you'd save some.

And like we've seen, it's also about the person. Some like others phones more than others :)

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #2,285 of 2,575
Some imo answers:

1. No, the DT150's are more spacious in my opinion.
2. I think they sound a bit dull. I guess I'm mostly used to a bit punchier bass. And if I recall correctly, I also like the treble more in Classics. It's really been like year since I listened them, so it's a bit hard to recall the details.
3. I don't find it bloated, really, but I don't listen to especially bassy music much.
4. I'd say just pop/rock, metal and piano music. Mostly vocal heavy music.
5. They sit really nicely on my head and easily sit completely over ear. For me they are really comfy.

But the DT's are great phones too and I guess it's up to your budget also. As the DT's are only around 130 and Classics 309 here in EU. So you'd save some.

And like we've seen, it's also about the person. Some like others phones more than others :)
Thanks for the effort to answer. It helps a lot. Wish you happy hearings.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #2,286 of 2,575
I just bought a used pair of DT150 headphones but I’m fairly certain I’ll need new ear pads or at least the foam inserts for them, judging by the pictures I saw for the unit I’m getting. I googled it and it looks like I can get the EDT 150S pads directly from Beyerdynamic North America but it will cost me $44 - $29 for the pads and + $15 for shipping.

Do any DT150 owners have a secret source for these pads? :D

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #2,288 of 2,575
I just bought a used pair of DT150 headphones but I’m fairly certain I’ll need new ear pads or at least the foam inserts for them, judging by the pictures I saw for the unit I’m getting. I googled it and it looks like I can get the EDT 150S pads directly from Beyerdynamic North America but it will cost me $44 - $29 for the pads and +$25 for shipping.

Yes, new pads is a must. They are like a brick when you get them, but with heat they mould to make a perfect seal.

I think your math is a little wonky there or typo :p 29 + 25 = 54... seems its $10 shipping from UK and 30-35$ for pads on ebay. Sometimes Amazon UK has sales on them too.

The going rate seems to be 35-40US. I am a canuck and usually get them from UK who seem to sell the headphone and its accessories the cheapest.

Check the velour too, some people feel the cotton/velour offers more balanced sound. I liked both pads for different reasons, the cotton/velour tames the bass a bit.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #2,289 of 2,575
Yes, new pads is a must. They are like a brick when you get them, but with heat they mould to make a perfect seal.

I think your math is a little wonky there or typo :p 29 + 25 = 54... seems its $10 shipping from UK and 30-35$ for pads on ebay. Sometimes Amazon UK has sales on them too.

The going rate seems to be 35-40US. I am a canuck and usually get them from UK who seem to sell the headphone and its accessories the cheapest.

Check the velour too, some people feel the cotton/velour offers more balanced sound. I liked both pads for different reasons, the cotton/velour tames the bass a bit.

Lol, oops, no, it wasn’t my math that was wonky but my fat fingers typing on glass :D .... Shipping from Beyerdynamic North America for me is $15, not $25..

CD08DB33-5769-4F6E-909F-23CDEAE2C32E.jpeg

Feb 19, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #2,292 of 2,575
I just bought a used pair of DT150 headphones but I’m fairly certain I’ll need new ear pads or at least the foam inserts for them, judging by the pictures I saw for the unit I’m getting. I googled it and it looks like I can get the EDT 150S pads directly from Beyerdynamic North America but it will cost me $44 - $29 for the pads and + $15 for shipping.

Get mr speakers alpha dog pads instead, they are better in every way than the stock pads

They took my DT150 from clearly punching above its price to the point where I'm at my endgame and haven't bought or considered any new headphone audio hardware in years

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #2,293 of 2,575

I personally use Brainwavz HM5 angled pleather pads with my DT150. They're not genuine HM5 pads since they were so cheap (~6€) but surprisingly nice quality neverthless and comfy. Very good isolation and sounds very good. They're very cheap but good option :)

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #2,294 of 2,575
I personally use Brainwavz HM5 angled pleather pads with my DT150. They're not genuine HM5 pads since they were so cheap (~6€) but surprisingly nice quality neverthless and comfy. Very good isolation and sounds very good. They're very cheap but good option :)

We have a spare pair of Brainwavz angled sheepskin pads here. I wonder if I should try them on my DT150.

Are they similar to the Alpha Dogs?

Get mr speakers alpha dog pads instead, they are better in every way than the stock pads

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #2,295 of 2,575
We have a spare pair of Brainwavz angled sheepskin pads here. I wonder if I should try them on my DT150.

Are they similar to the Alpha Dogs?

Please share your impressions if you do such an experiment.

I found the dt150 bass to be strong; just at edge of being opverpowering, which the dt100 cotton/velour pads take care of. Mind you, I also have its rectangular brothers dt100.2000 and 480.25/200.

Anyone who likes the rectangular beyer tanks, should on their bucketlist add the 2000 ohm'r and 480 (w/ dt150 pads, cable, headband). dt150 is a Rhino The 480 is a apex predator dinosaur t-rex,

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back