Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Aug 16, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2,206 of 2,575
How powerful is the Voyager, how is it with the DT150s?

I don't know the figures I'm afraid but around 50% volume was plenty with my DT150. Dt990 and my current HD600

Nothing like the ultimate volume of a Mojo but it's not all about power but control and the Voyager drives big bruiser phones with real authority. And 'grip" :)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #2,207 of 2,575
Recommended. I use DT100 pads and headband cushion on my DT150. I once switched back to DT150 stock pads for a while, and conclusion was, I like signature more with DT100 pads. Good thing since comfort is much better with DT100 pads.

I see that the foam insert provided with DT100 velour pads is much thicker than the stock one, do you use it ? Maybe it's better to mount the DT100 pads without foam insert?

Aug 17, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #2,208 of 2,575
I see that the foam insert provided with DT100 velour pads is much thicker than the stock one, do you use it ? Maybe it's better to mount the DT100 pads without foam insert?
I used foams earlier when I got DT100 pads, but then started to prefer them without foams. Many people afterall cuts foam off from stock pleathers so I would think bare interior pad is way to go. I don't currently have DT100 pads installed, but instead Brainwavz HM5 angled pleather pads.

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #2,212 of 2,575
and in your opinion, what is the best amp or dap that has the best synergy with the dt150?
To me, they sounded great unamped. I noticed a bit of technical improvement with the Geek Out 450, but the sound was more ''musical'' to me without an amp (because the voices were more upfront somehow unamped)

They are so grainless that they always sound realistic and smooth, no matter the source.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #2,213 of 2,575
To me, they sounded great unamped. I noticed a bit of technical improvement with the Geek Out 450, but the sound was more ''musical'' to me without an amp (because the voices were more upfront somehow unamped)

They are so grainless that they always sound realistic and smooth, no matter the source.
How do you use them unamped with a 1/4" jack? Does your computer come with a 1/4" jack?

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #2,215 of 2,575
and in your opinion, what is the best amp or dap that has the best synergy with the dt150?

I would say that the dt150 does well with solid-state amps that have a higher gain setting, which tends to control the bass a bit and make it tighter, in my opinion. The Beyerdynamic amps usually have high gain, for instance, and are certainly good for the DT150. The DT150 is also very sensitive to any noise, so if you can find an amp with a linear power supply that's also good. They need some power, but not necessarily a ton. I would try to get something with at least 150Mw at 250 ohms. Most battery powered amps designed for mobile use don't cut it. Some people here have experimented a lot with tubes with great results. I haven't so I can't speak for that option. Obviously an entry level tube amp is not going to be as good as a Woo designed for 250Ohms. You can go for pretty much any high-end solid-state amp, such as the Lake People/Vioelectric range, or try one of the Augio-Gd amps. As far as I know, the DT150 has not really been used in a serious balanced system, and the cable doesn't lend itself to such a scenario. (Some have tried, but I'm not convinced the results are the same as with other headphones that are more easily converted to balanced.) I've used these a lot with the Lehman Linear amp and like the clean presentation and controlled highs and lows, but it's a bit overpriced for what it is. Personally, if I were going to start over, I would try the Asgard 2, which is about $250--a safe investment for headphones in that general ballpark.

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #2,216 of 2,575
I use an Audio-gd SA-31 with great results.

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,217 of 2,575
Hey guys, say hello to the best pads for the Dt150: Shure 1840 earpads.

Killer comfort and killer sound.

I tried many different pads and basically all of them got at least one flaw to me: poor comfort or bad sound quality on low volume.
The 1840 nails in all department. The comfort is really good, they are velour pads so this is what you expect. On the sound quality, they got very immediate sound with present midrange. They are bit stiffer than the typical velour, this rigidity helps a lot the bass that is very balanced - more present than d100 velour to give a comparison but lesser than a typical pleather - with a good punch. Soundstage is fine, not wide like the stock pads, but good.

I bet the notch in the upper-mids that many peoples hear is because of the pads. More wide pads, more far is the driver from your ear = Midrange suffer. This is the rule I found to be true with the Dt150. The 1840 pads has a good width that works well.

The other pads I tried: Stock, Dt100 Velour, Shure 1540, Fostex T50rp mk3, Brainwavz HM5 pleather, Shure 940.

Now they sound so close in tonality with the Sennheiser hd600 that is incredible, they look almost twin!

I am happy so far.

Attachments

• File_000 (6).jpeg
    File_000 (6).jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #2,219 of 2,575
I'd also be interested to see the pictures as I've been thinking of getting the DT-150's and I guess I would like to get the velour pads for them also.

The headphones I currently have are the following: Philips Fidelio X2, Denon AH-D2000, Sennheiser Momentum and Meze 99 Classic.

The X2's are open and other are closed. I'd gladly listen to opinions if it makes any sense to get the DT-150's when I have those three. So what do you say, how do they compare (especially to Meze 99 Classics, which are my current favorite)? D2000 and Momentums have been without use for couple of years already :)

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #2,220 of 2,575
Even though I love the DT-150, I think you'll find some overlap with what you already have. I would suggest getting something in the $500-700 range for a step up like the HE-560 or the DT1990 Pro if you want to try Beyers. The DT-150 are a great value in their price range, but I think you already have some good value cans in that general range $200-400.

From my own experience, however, I can only say with 100% certainty that the DT150 are better than the Momentums. I also like them better than the HD650, but at times they are not 'better' per se, but just different. They have a lot of bass, good mids for vocals, and a sparkly clear high end. Yet they have some dips in the upper highs that helps make things sound smoother and a tiny bit darker than they should. They are also surprisingly open and wide for closed headphones. BUT, you are not going to get the value out of them today that they were 3-4 years ago, before a lot of others came into compete in in this price range. In my opinion if you don't have any closed headphones in the $200-400 range, these are great for acoustic music with a good source. But if you already have that, you should probably look for something different. Both the X2 and the Maze 99 Classic are competitors to the DT150, and I think some will prefer one or the other, but they are probably all three in the same league (except that the DT150 is by far the ugliest of the three, if you care about that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back