Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Feb 14, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #811 of 2,575
  metallic tinge...? hmmm i havent heard the dt150 stockpad version cept for a very very brief moment in a shop.
I crave a little more clarity in the treble actually so i took off the foam(overthedriver) of the dt100velor.

this might solve the metallic tinge some of u might heard...?
my fingers were itching..n  opened it up for some innardstuffing :p

just some cut up corksheets lying around the house. :p

Ah I see. I should try some dampening mods sometime, need to find the right type of screwdriver to open them up though. Though I do think the metallic sound I get on many of my headphones may actually be emphasized by the interconnects I have as I had the same type of cable on my K712 and it made the treble too sharp. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #812 of 2,575
metallic tinge...? hmmm i havent heard the dt150 stockpad version cept for a very very brief moment in a shop.
I crave a little more clarity in the treble actually so i took off the foam(overthedriver) of the dt100velor.

this might solve the metallic tinge some of u might heard...?
my fingers were itching..n  opened it up for some innardstuffing :p

just some cut up corksheets lying around the house. :p

...but did it work?

I like the natural timbre of this headphone.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #813 of 2,575
[quote name="Baycode" url="/t/265251/beyerdynamic-dt-150-bloody-brilliant/810#.[/quote]

u hv to try it....that corkytone is....
:D

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #814 of 2,575
Just a few quick impressions on this hp. I want to thank Fred for the loan...very gracious of you kind sir!! 
beerchug.gif

I had no preconception about this hp going into the audition, as it wasn't really on my radar. 

The Sound:

Now that I have auditioned this hp and read through most of the thread, it seems that what most people say is true...the dt150 sounds very much like a closed version of the hd650. I might revise that slight and add if the hd650 and hd600 had a baby hp that was closed, then the dt150 would be it. The reason I say that is because I find the treble more resolving on the dt150. There is a better leading edge to the notes with the 150 also. 

I was really surprised by complexity of the signature and the way the music was "layered" so well. I didn't expect the richness presented like this at all. 

The bass digs really deep and has purpose and texture...not bloomy at all. The overall speed is pretty good and I'd say a notch better than the hd6x0. 

The mids are truly impressive though. The hd650 has been on my desk for the past five years mostly because of the reproduction of natural sounding mids. The 150 sounds as good in the mids as the 650, maybe even a touch better. I'd have to spend more time to truly get an appreciation of how good the mids are. Female vocals are impressive with this hp. 

Sound staging is better than average particularly for a closed hp. If this were in my regular rotation the sound stage would not be a disappointment. Instrument tonality in accurate and natural. Guitar plucks are nice and organic and have that "thwack" that I listen for. 

The Build:

Well, here's the bad part. The 150 looks and feels like it was made in the 60's. Utilitarian and made in my garage are phrases that come to mind. The single exit right exit cable is coiled and the right exit is a deal breaker for me. The have some weight to them...about 385 grams according to my kitchen scale. But the weight is not balanced and I would call the comfort just "okay" even with the extra padded headband that came with this pair. Adjustment was iffy for me and they always felt lopsided. 

The odd thing with regard to build quality is that Beyer makes some of the most finely crafted hp's in the business, yet these feel homemade. While I enjoy the sound and found it quite impressive, I wouldn't buy these due to the issues with fitment, build quality and overall comfort. 

Matt

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #815 of 2,575
Thanks for your listening impressions Matt!

I just received my Fidelio X2 a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving the combination of DT150 and X2. Quite similar sounding to my ear. I love the build quality of the DT150 and am not so concerned about the aesthetics. I'm quite ok with the DT150 remaining under the radar as I'd like to pick up another pair at some point:)

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #817 of 2,575
Matt, why the coiled cable? Normally the DT150 has a straight one.....

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #818 of 2,575
Like I said...these were on loan from a member here. I suppose he wanted/needed a coiled cable. I would definitely prefer straight and single exit cable bug me on anything but small portable hp's like the momentum. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #820 of 2,575
  Just a few quick impressions on this hp. I want to thank Fred for the loan...very gracious of you kind sir!! 
beerchug.gif

I had no preconception about this hp going into the audition, as it wasn't really on my radar. 

The Sound:

Now that I have auditioned this hp and read through most of the thread, it seems that what most people say is true...the dt150 sounds very much like a closed version of the hd650. I might revise that slight and add if the hd650 and hd600 had a baby hp that was closed, then the dt150 would be it. The reason I say that is because I find the treble more resolving on the dt150. There is a better leading edge to the notes with the 150 also. 

I was really surprised by complexity of the signature and the way the music was "layered" so well. I didn't expect the richness presented like this at all. 

The bass digs really deep and has purpose and texture...not bloomy at all. The overall speed is pretty good and I'd say a notch better than the hd6x0. 

The mids are truly impressive though. The hd650 has been on my desk for the past five years mostly because of the reproduction of natural sounding mids. The 150 sounds as good in the mids as the 650, maybe even a touch better. I'd have to spend more time to truly get an appreciation of how good the mids are. Female vocals are impressive with this hp. 

Sound staging is better than average particularly for a closed hp. If this were in my regular rotation the sound stage would not be a disappointment. Instrument tonality in accurate and natural. Guitar plucks are nice and organic and have that "thwack" that I listen for. 

The Build:

Well, here's the bad part. The 150 looks and feels like it was made in the 60's. Utilitarian and made in my garage are phrases that come to mind. The single exit right exit cable is coiled and the right exit is a deal breaker for me. The have some weight to them...about 385 grams according to my kitchen scale. But the weight is not balanced and I would call the comfort just "okay" even with the extra padded headband that came with this pair. Adjustment was iffy for me and they always felt lopsided. 

The odd thing with regard to build quality is that Beyer makes some of the most finely crafted hp's in the business, yet these feel homemade. While I enjoy the sound and found it quite impressive, I wouldn't buy these due to the issues with fitment, build quality and overall comfort. 

Matt

Useful summary.  Thanks for that as I've been looking at these as a closed option.

If I may ask, what chain were you using to feed the DT150's?

HS

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #821 of 2,575
beerchug.gif

The Sound:

The Build:

Matt

Very good write up and synopsis for this phone. I do differ with your view regarding the build quality though.  While I wouldn't call them bullet proof, I find their build decently robust/ simple, and like the Sennheiser HD6xx series, nearly every part and component can be ordered and replaced. As an added bonus, Beyerdynamic (here in the U.S.) responds very well to the consumer-sometimes not an easy thing to find in todays world.  Though not pretty- I don't think this was their MO-there's something to be said for their simplicity-no nonsense- design,  I'm in fear of becomming a fanboy on these..LOL Thanks for your excellent contribution. Thanks to Baycode too, as his review was a 'push over the edge' for my move to the DT150.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #822 of 2,575
straight cable is less weighty on the right side of the head...took me awhile to get use to it ( the idea of cable on the right ),
but once the music is on..
i am lost ...deeeeep into the muzak. 

that soft bass rumble on your ears...niccccccccce ! 

( bot mine in the back street ...for less than 100..used..as in AGED, RUSTED  :p)

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #823 of 2,575
The DT150 wasn't nicknamed the 'Tank' (shouldn't it be das Panzer?) for nothing.
It is ugly and crude, I agree, but it is a professional tool or a pure music making weapon that's built to last.

Otherwise nice write up

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #824 of 2,575
beerchug.gif

The Sound:

The Build:

Matt

Pretty much my thoughts as well, I am glad you liked the sound. I bought them for under 100 bucks but the caveat was they came without a cable, the coiled was all I could find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back