Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Jan 1, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #766 of 2,575
hmmm....i am game to try out tweaks....within my budget, 
this linear power thang looks interesting...havent explore this yet.
( i have tried out a few branded usbcables  though, n finally picked one for permanent duty )

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #767 of 2,575
  Yeah, I know about the grit. I know this is off topic, but do you think an external linear power supply for the usb DAC (HRT HD) would help? I seem to think it can't hurt, and might even improve the sound that little extra bitty bit... (Something like the Wyrd, or this http://www.myhifishop.de/Devices/AQVOX-Low-Noise-Power-Supply-USB2-Type-B-Type-A-USB3-Type-A::49.html)

I think something like the Wyrd will help, it helped with my system, I have the HRT MS II+ and it fixed all the weird issues I got on occasion and even improved the sound quality a bit. How is the HRT HD? I'm planning on it as my next DAC.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #768 of 2,575
That's a good question, I think the HRT HD is very good, giving you quite a bit more precision over the Music Streamer II standard. The mids could be a bit thick and congested with the MSII, whereas the spacing is much better with the HD, and you get quite a bit better extension in the highs and lows with the HD. I think especially if you already have the Wyrd, it's a good option. Also, I might be crazy, but I think the ASIO filter used with the USB 2.0 software that comes with the HD provides smoother highs, even though there is still a lot of information up there. I don't know if the MSII+ goes up to 192/24 with USB 2.0 via ASIO. If so, it may not be that much of a jump. 

DACs are notoriously hard to compare and review because in the best case, many people think, a good DAC gets out of the way and lets the music through with no commentary. HRT seems to feel that warming up the sound a bit is a good idea. This makes some tracks feel hot and bright, unfortunately, but most of the time with good recordings it sounds very smooth and detailed from top to bottom.

With the DT150s the HRT HD seems to be a good match, and I wouldn't personally spend thousands on a DAC today, given how fast the technology is changing. In fact, you may want to wait and see if HRT comes out with a new flagship DAC, since the HD has already been around for about two years. The next DAC will probably include native DSD and claim to have a lower noise floor without needing some kind of external linear power. Perhaps it will even have its own external power supply. In that case, I would probably upgrade, as well. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #769 of 2,575
  That's a good question, I think the HRT HD is very good, giving you quite a bit more precision over the Music Streamer II standard. The mids could be a bit thick and congested with the MSII, whereas the spacing is much better with the HD, and you get quite a bit better extension in the highs and lows with the HD. I think especially if you already have the Wyrd, it's a good option. Also, I might be crazy, but I think the ASIO filter used with the USB 2.0 software that comes with the HD provides smoother highs, even though there is still a lot of information up there. I don't know if the MSII+ goes up to 192/24 with USB 2.0 via ASIO. If so, it may not be that much of a jump. 

DACs are notoriously hard to compare and review because in the best case, many people think, a good DAC gets out of the way and lets the music through with no commentary. HRT seems to feel that warming up the sound a bit is a good idea. This makes some tracks feel hot and bright, unfortunately, but most of the time with good recordings it sounds very smooth and detailed from top to bottom.

With the DT150s the HRT HD seems to be a good match, and I wouldn't personally spend thousands on a DAC today, given how fast the technology is changing. In fact, you may want to wait and see if HRT comes out with a new flagship DAC, since the HD has already been around for about two years. The next DAC will probably include native DSD and claim to have a lower noise floor without needing some kind of external linear power. Perhaps it will even have its own external power supply. In that case, I would probably upgrade, as well. 

Ah I see, thank you for your input, I'm still heavily considering it, though maybe I should wait on another HRT dac like you said and get a different DAC in the meantime. I'm considering the Schiit Modi 2 Uber as well because it's brand new, a lot cheaper(extra money can be put in another headphone such as the HD 650) and I can use the optical on my desktop while USB on my laptop, though, I'm not sure of it's performance as I'm waiting for reviews on the unit, I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded better than my HRT MS II+ since the II+ has been out for about 4 years old now. The II+ only has 24/96 and doesn't have USB 2.0

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #771 of 2,575
  After extensive pad-rolling with DT 150, I have found that to my ears(and skin) the Shure alcantara pads to be perfect sonically and very comfortable.

What changes do the alcantara pads make to the sound from the stock pads?

I'm curious if I can send in my DT 150 to Innerfidelity to be measured sometime. I am curious how these things measure. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #773 of 2,575
Not much, a bit more low end (better seal), and deeper sound stage. Comfort level is so much better!

Maybe I need to look into them. I don't have problems with the DT 150 pads in terms of fitting and long term wear, but they do get a bit too stuffy when it's warm and sometimes I just want my ears to breathe more when wearing them. So the treble and mids are pretty much the same?

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #774 of 2,575
  Maybe I need to look into them. I don't have problems with the DT 150 pads in terms of fitting and long term wear, but they do get a bit too stuffy when it's warm and sometimes I just want my ears to breathe more when wearing them. So the treble and mids are pretty much the same?

I hated the stock pads, so I changed them quick. I'll do a comparison and get back to you. 

I immediately switched pads after about two days and  have tried every pad that fits (that I own), Alpha pads, Stax , Audeze  none sounding as good as the Shure pads (alphas were good but sucked out the mids a bit)

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #775 of 2,575
  Norah Jones on the DT150 is so seductive....like a hd650 in closed format.

I'm a bit late to the party but have found these quite....excellent..... with no major deficiencies-love the bass, mid, and high frequency balance-warm but with plenty of articulation-very natural and just sounds 'right'. Better as my modded DT190's came with the cloth-like material covering the drivers in tatters and thought I'd just cut away the material completely covering only the driver itself. I now have a slightly more articulate sounding DT150/190 series phone. Not a huge difference but still noticeable. Probably the same slight clarity increase as removing the foam covering from the pads. Not sure I would have done this (or recommend) instead of the foam but it was already halfway there. Thanks guys for turning me on to these! 

I'm sold, subbed to this thread.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #776 of 2,575
I tried to put the SRH 1540 alcantara pads on my DT150, but I couldn't get them on. Maybe too afraid of tearing them apart.
But since the SRH 840 pads didn't fit properly (the lips tends to slip off), I never bothered again. Maybe sometime I'll try again.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #777 of 2,575

I hated the stock pads, so I changed them quick. I'll do a comparison and get back to you. 

I immediately switched pads after about two days and  have tried every pad that fits (that I own), Alpha pads, Stax , Audeze  none sounding as good as the Shure pads (alphas were good but sucked out the mids a bit)

Ah I see, the stock pads took a couple weeks of breaking-in to become as comfortable as they are and to form well to the head. Thank you. Ah I see, sucks so many pads didn't work out. I would like a little more midrange emphasis than found in the stock pads without reducing the bass a little too much and hurting the tonality of the mids like my velour brainwavz pads.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #778 of 2,575
  Ah I see, the stock pads took a couple weeks of breaking-in to become as comfortable as they are and to form well to the head. Thank you. Ah I see, sucks so many pads didn't work out. I would like a little more midrange emphasis than found in the stock pads without reducing the bass a little too much and hurting the tonality of the mids like my velour brainwavz pads.

You fit the Brainwavz pads on the DT150? That honestly was my first thought as well, ripped a pair of pleathers and velour attempting it....

As far as pads, I usually buy a spare set for all of my HP's so I had them laying about (and for pad rolling ), the alcantaras were from ZMF master model. They sound wonderful on the 150 midrange-wise, and definitely do not reduce the bass, the alcantaras do not leak like a standard velour.

The 150 is such a fantastic underrated closed can, exactly what I have been searching for.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #779 of 2,575
amongst all my cans, this dt150 projects one of the biggest/tallest soundstage...
u guys getting that same impression? 
( the sound depth is subject to the gears i hook it with, my better setup projects a deeeeep soundstage.. better microdetails too)

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #780 of 2,575

You fit the Brainwavz pads on the DT150? That honestly was my first thought as well, ripped a pair of pleathers and velour attempting it....

As far as pads, I usually buy a spare set for all of my HP's so I had them laying about (and for pad rolling ), the alcantaras were from ZMF master model. They sound wonderful on the 150 midrange-wise, and definitely do not reduce the bass, the alcantaras do not leak like a standard velour.

The 150 is such a fantastic underrated closed can, exactly what I have been searching for.

Yeah, took a little effort but wasn't too bad, putting them on the Fostex T50RP is a pain though.

Sounds like the perfect velour pads for them. I'll probably grab a pair eventually.

It truly is an underrated closed can, sounds on par if not better than some open-backs in it's tier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back