Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Oct 1, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #511 of 2,575
The HD 600 sounds quite good on solid state amps. I personally prefer the HD 600 on both tubes and SS amps over the DT 150, more due to sound signature and comfort preference, refinement wise I find the two quite comparable. My personal favorite headphone is the K712 which sounds more refined and honestly a league above the HD 600, DT 150, and Q701 to my ears.

Stop making me want more cans!

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #512 of 2,575

The HD 600 sounds quite good on solid state amps. I personally prefer the HD 600 on both tubes and SS amps over the DT 150, more due to sound signature and comfort preference, refinement wise I find the two quite comparable. My personal favorite headphone is the K712 which sounds more refined and honestly a league above the HD 600, DT 150, and Q701 to my ears.

I found my DT100 to be more detailed than HD600.

I can also second that O2 + HD600 is a really good combo.

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #514 of 2,575
i dun like to pit my closed cans against my open cans... or iems.. or earbuds.
they are just.."different".

That said, DT150 is getting most of my headtime since i gotten it.
Never missed the hd600...  never really been comfortable with AKGs...:p

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #516 of 2,575
"low power" as in bass boost mode?  i extracted from a review mentioning this feature...

" Features

There are really only 2 features on the E11: a gain switch and an EQ switch (which is actually just a bass boost).

The gain switch changes the circuitry to suit high or low impedance (or high or low sensitivity) headphones. The sound isn’t massively louder on the high gain setting, but has extra energy to overcome the resistance of more difficult-to-drive headphones. I’m not an electronics expert, but I imagine it’s an adjustment to the output impedance to better complement the impedance of high impedance headphones. Suffice to say, it works effectively.

The EQ switch is interesting. According to the booklet, it’s a bass boost only, but the label on the E11 casing says “EQ”. It really is just a bass boost as far as I can hear. On setting 1 there is a very subtle increase in the mass of the bass (i.e. it just sounds fuller, not louder). On setting 2 it’s more obvious and starts to get a little bloated and flabby. "

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #517 of 2,575
  "low power" as in bass boost mode?  i extracted from a review mentioning this feature...

" Features

There are really only 2 features on the E11: a gain switch and an EQ switch (which is actually just a bass boost).

The gain switch changes the circuitry to suit high or low impedance (or high or low sensitivity) headphones. The sound isn’t massively louder on the high gain setting, but has extra energy to overcome the resistance of more difficult-to-drive headphones. I’m not an electronics expert, but I imagine it’s an adjustment to the output impedance to better complement the impedance of high impedance headphones. Suffice to say, it works effectively.

The EQ switch is interesting. According to the booklet, it’s a bass boost only, but the label on the E11 casing says “EQ”. It really is just a bass boost as far as I can hear. On setting 1 there is a very subtle increase in the mass of the bass (i.e. it just sounds fuller, not louder). On setting 2 it’s more obvious and starts to get a little bloated and flabby. "

There is high power/low power switch which is behind the battery. There is high gain/low gain switch on the side and there is an EQ switch near the gain switch which has 0(no bass boost), 1(mild bass boost), and 2(heavier bass boost)

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #518 of 2,575
oh...would there be one on the E18 too? i havent tried to open mine up to check :)

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #520 of 2,575
Do u guys often felt the drivers reverberating on your ears?
i am playing this song.."Ronnie's Samba"...
getting a ear massage :)

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #521 of 2,575

You're making a case for measurements being unreliable? Well - first, you misquoted me, and second, I don't think Tyll is making the argument you'd like.

Ah, yes, took out the the mids part. Didn't think it was relevant for making my point.

Second, I suggest you read the articles. Tyll makes it perfectly clear that a headphone can sound better than measurement shows.
Or worse, of course.
So, measurements are unreliable! Outcome is highly depending on gear, dummy, clamp, ear pads, acoustics etc.

Now, go back listening to headphones instead of measuring them y'all
biggrin.gif

Oh, and since this is the DT150 thread, I will not go into a discussion about this, wasting my time and derailing the thread.
I posted a link, gave a comment about my beliefs, you can do with it whatever you want.
It was my last one on measurements.

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #522 of 2,575

Ah, yes, took out the the mids part. Didn't think it was relevant for making my point.

The part you included was an absolute statement, but the part you left out was the disclaimer of uncertainty. You say it was irrelevant for your point, and since your point was to have someone else make the disclaimer against 'my' absolute claim, I wonder whether your point was personal.

As for what Tyll is saying - he's not making the case that we should abandon measurements. He's making the case for a better understanding of how to interpret them. Now, valid reasons for why you shouldn't just "go back listening to headphones instead of measuring them" you can find on any list of cognitive biases.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #523 of 2,575

So, measurements are unreliable! 

I don't think they're too unreliable, I think they're very difficult to interpret.

There certainly is room for error in the measurement process however.

Measurements ARE measuring something that's objectively there, and are useful in evaluating headphones, 
it's true though that the listening experience is the central point.

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #524 of 2,575
Is there a frequency response graph for this headphone?

I was messing around with my DT 770, MA900 and Havi B3. I found out that I want more bright headphones with less punchy bass. So I have been looking at the HD 600 and the DT 150. I also read about the DT 250, Shure 1440/1840 and the Sony 7506. I kinda discarded the K612/k712 because of this. Also the DT 880 seems to have a treble similar to the DT 770 and I want something with more treble. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #525 of 2,575
  Is there a frequency response graph for this headphone?

I was messing around with my DT 770, MA900 and Havi B3. I found out that I want more bright headphones with less punchy bass. So I have been looking at the HD 600 and the DT 150. I also read about the DT 250, Shure 1440/1840 and the Sony 7506. I kinda discarded the K612/k712 because of this. Also the DT 880 seems to have a treble similar to the DT 770 and I want something with more treble. Any thoughts? Thanks.

The DT 150 and HD 600 are not what I would consider bright, they are darker than the DT 880 and K612/K712. I would look into the Q701 or K701/2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back