Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Nov 9, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #931 of 2,669
Is the treble harsh at all on the Amiron's? What is the sound stage like when compared to the HD598, fidelio X2, HD800. And how does it compare in general to the fidelio X2's?
I can give you some thoughts on the Amiron vs the Fidelio x2. I pulled out the x2 just a couple of nights ago for a listen, I had not used them for at least 2 years.I used a well recorded prog-rock album for the listen. I will start off and say for the price the x2 is not bad at all. However the Amiron is the better headphone at least for my taste. The high-end on the x2 is a little more sharp not as smooth as the Amiron. The Amiron does have a treble peak, it does not seem harsh at all and not as zippy as the X2. The bottom end on the x2 is not as tight and maybe a touch wooly. The sound stage on the x2 is really good maybe a tad better than the Amiron. I find the mids on the x2 more recessed then the Amiron. Overall I believe the Amiron is the better headphone, it does come at a price though, $599 vs $275. If I was on a budget I could live with the x2. However I do not mind spending the extra money for the Amiron.
Hope this helps a little.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #933 of 2,669
I definitely wanted to try those Dekoni Audio earpads, and now I know I can use them on the Amiron.

I don't know about amiron but my T90 has a better clarity with the velour pad and more neutral I would say; when I swapped the pad with brainwavs hm5 angled leather pad, the bass is more pronounced but lack in clarity. I end up stick with the stock pad.

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #934 of 2,669
I can give you some thoughts on the Amiron vs the Fidelio x2. I pulled out the x2 just a couple of nights ago for a listen, I had not used them for at least 2 years.I used a well recorded prog-rock album for the listen. I will start off and say for the price the x2 is not bad at all. However the Amiron is the better headphone at least for my taste. The high-end on the x2 is a little more sharp not as smooth as the Amiron. The Amiron does have a treble peak, it does not seem harsh at all and not as zippy as the X2. The bottom end on the x2 is not as tight and maybe a touch wooly. The sound stage on the x2 is really good maybe a tad better than the Amiron. I find the mids on the x2 more recessed then the Amiron. Overall I believe the Amiron is the better headphone, it does come at a price though, $599 vs $275. If I was on a budget I could live with the x2. However I do not mind spending the extra money for the Amiron.
Hope this helps a little.

Thanks, I was hoping for greater sound stage than the x2. I didn't find the x2 had a harsh treble so if the amiron home has less treble that is a good sign. As I have the pm2 which were £600 + £50 for the lambskin ear pads the amiron will have to be better but I'm unsure.

Another issue is driving the headphones. I returned my chord mojo as the dragonfly red is excellent with my pm2.

Sort of just wanted a headphone which was good for movie and TV show watching for the times I want a huge sound stage, which I don't 95% of the time.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #935 of 2,669
Yeah, that list lost all credibility when it put the Nighthawks at #3.

I am tired of the Nighthawk bashing. I have the Amiron and the Nighthawk and love them both.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #936 of 2,669
I am tired of the Nighthawk bashing. I have the Amiron and the Nighthawk and love them both.

You can like it all you want. It’s just not better than most of the headphones that were ranked below it like the HD800S or HEK V2. Everyone knows it has a jacked up frequency response with a huge upper mid drop off. Sorry but you can’t be a top 3 best headphone with such a wonky FR. Even the HD600 and 650 are better.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #937 of 2,669
You can like it all you want. It’s just not better than most of the headphones that were ranked below it like the HD800S or HEK V2. Everyone knows it has a jacked up frequency response with a huge upper mid drop off. Sorry but you can’t be a top 3 best headphone with such a wonky FR. Even the HD600 and 650 are better.
"Better" is subjective to the individuals preference. And while the sound signature of the Nighthawk is not to my liking I didn't think it was "jacked up" or "wonky" and since its the Nighthawk "carbon" they listed which sounds a bit different from the original Nighthawk I can see how some might like the tuning of the "carbon" over the original. FWIW I don't think the HEK v2 is all that great either and like the HE560 sound over them. I'd take the Nighthawk over the HD600 any day since the treble peak of the HD600 bothered me at times and I like the HD800 over the HD800S, just my preferences.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #938 of 2,669
"Better" is subjective to the individuals preference. And while the sound signature of the Nighthawk is not to my liking I didn't think it was "jacked up" or "wonky" and since its the Nighthawk "carbon" they listed which sounds a bit different from the original Nighthawk I can see how some might like the tuning of the "carbon" over the original. FWIW I don't think the HEK v2 is all that great either and like the HE560 sound over them. I'd take the Nighthawk over the HD600 any day since the treble peak of the HD600 bothered me at times and I like the HD800 over the HD800S, just my preferences.

Well you can have whatever opinion you want but it’s hard to take you seriously when you start your sentence with the Nighthawk Carbon sounding better than the original. They sound exactly the same and even Skylar said so himself. The only differences are the look and the pads.
Secondly, you need to discern the difference between “liking” something more and something actually “being” better. I can like my Ford Fiesta more than your Tesla Model S. But there’s no way it’s better.

Nov 10, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #939 of 2,669
Well you can have whatever opinion you want but it’s hard to take you seriously when you start your sentence with the Nighthawk Carbon sounding better than the original. They sound exactly the same and even Skylar said so himself. The only differences are the look and the pads.
Secondly, you need to discern the difference between “liking” something more and something actually “being” better. I can like my Ford Fiesta more than your Tesla Model S. But there’s no way it’s better.

1. I didn't say the "carbon" sounds better than original, just different and it seems like you haven't heard either if you are quoting someone else's review and since I've heard both they do sound different to me.

2. Yes there is a difference between "liking" and "better" but with audio they can mean the same thing to an individual and your analogy is valid for your point of view but to someone that might not live in a house the Tesla Model S is worthless if they don't have a place to charge it and sure its "better" designed/built than your Fiesta but if you can't afford or have no place to charge it what's the point.

@mbwilson111, do you have the original Nighthawk or the "carbon"? And why do you enjoy it along with the Amiron? is it a good complimentary headphone?

Nov 10, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #940 of 2,669
[Quoted post deleted by mod]
The Carbons do sound different as they don’t come with the original pads. And the other two pads don’t sound the same as the originals, if you want the original pads(and thus the original sound) you had to buy them separate if you had the Carbon. Unless you spend extra money you can’t make the Carbons sound like the originals or vice versa. He’s not wrong in saying the Carbons sound different, even though the sonic change is essentially all from the pads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 10, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #941 of 2,669
The Carbons do sound different as they don’t come with the original pads. And the other two pads don’t sound the same as the originals, if you want the original pads(and thus the original sound) you had to buy them separate if you had the Carbon. Unless you spend extra money you can’t make the Carbons sound like the originals or vice versa. He’s not wrong in saying the Carbons sound different, even though the sonic change is virtually all from the pads.

I already talked about the pads in an earlier post to him. But that’s not the point. They are exactly the same. They sound exactly the same if you match the pads. And they don’t deserve to be number 3 on a list of all time greats. Even with the new pads the upper mid suck out is still there. It’s mitigated a little, but it’s still there. No rational person ranks 1. Utopia 2. LCD 4 3. Nighthawks.
The first two are fine. Then it’s a dogfight amongst HE1000 V2, 800/800S, LCD 3, HD650/600, Grado PS1000, etc.
Sorry but the Hawks aren’t even top 5 let alone 3. They. Are. Not.

The 800 launched in 2009. It still costs nearly $1000 brand new today. That’s 8 years later and even with the 800S on the market. The Hawks are far newer and you know how much the originals cost now brand new? $299. In just a few years their value has fallen to less than 50% of their original price. That says a lot about them. They’re good headphones. They’re not classics.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #942 of 2,669
I already talked about the pads in an earlier post to him. But that’s not the point. They are exactly the same. They sound exactly the same if you match the pads. And they don’t deserve to be number 3 on a list of all time greats. Even with the new pads the upper mid suck out is still there. It’s mitigated a little, but it’s still there. No rational person ranks 1. Utopia 2. LCD 4 3. Nighthawks.
The first two are fine. Then it’s a dogfight amongst HE1000 V2, 800/800S, LCD 3, HD650/600, Grado PS1000, etc.
Sorry but the Hawks aren’t even top 5 let alone 3. They. Are. Not.

True, but the pads still make them different unless you add an extra purchase. Though the Carbon revision seems pointless to me especially considering the price increase especially since you lost a second cable and with the extra $100 MSRP it should of included all three sets of pads. I didn’t say anything about liking their sound or not. I have long let go of the Hawks due to the issues I had with them that not even EQ, different systems, or pad rolling fixed and this thread is about the Amirons not the Hawks anyways. I don’t agree with most of the list anyways.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #943 of 2,669
True, but the pads still make them different unless you add an extra purchase. Though the Carbon revision seems pointless to me especially considering the price increase. I didn’t say anything about liking their sound or not. I have long let go of the Hawks due to the issues I had with them that not even EQ, different systems, or pad rolling fixed and this thread is about the Amirons not the Hawks anyways. I don’t agree with most of the list anyways.

I agree with you the pads make a difference. But my point is that you can’t just take a headphone and change the pads and act like it’s a new headphone. Even Beyerdynamic has two different pads for the 1990 that alter the sound. But they’re not trying to sell the 1990 as two different headphones when you swap the pads!
Yes this thread is about the Amirons so we definitely need to get back on point. However, Head Fi is a site that is supposed to help people make a good decision on buying a product. And I don’t know how we are supposed to do that by listening to people who have no credibility whatsoever. It’s why Brooko created the “Signal to Noise Thread”. There’s too much fanboyism and flat out deception on here these days. I’m just trying to cut through all that BS and give people my honest opinion about things. And I’d like the same in return. I’ve been searching for years for a Beyerdynamic that I don’t hate, and it’s led me to the Amiron. Now I just want real and honest opinions without all the other “noise”.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #944 of 2,669
I agree with you the pads make a difference. But my point is that you can’t just take a headphone and change the pads and act like it’s a new headphone. Even Beyerdynamic has two different pads for the 1990 that alter the sound. But they’re not trying to sell the 1990 as two different headphones when you swap the pads!
Yes this thread is about the Amirons so we definitely need to get back on point. However, Head Fi is a site that is supposed to help people make a good decision on buying a product. And I don’t know how we are supposed to do that by listening to people who have no credibility whatsoever. It’s why Brooko created the “Signal to Noise Thread”. There’s too much fanboyism and flat out deception on here these days. I’m just trying to cut through all that BS and give people my honest opinion about things. And I’d like the same in return. I’ve been searching for years for a Beyerdynamic that I don’t hate, and it’s led me to the Amiron. Now I just want real and honest opinions without all the other “noise”.

True, which is why I find it a pointless revision, it's not like you are getting you're money's worth extra as they took away one accessory and added another. The tuning of the Hawks has never bothered me, I am actually glad they made them sound unique, you can EQ or mod a headphone to personalize the headphone for yourself if one wanted to, my issue was more with their treble which I couldn't fix and the fatigue I got from them. The DT 1990 is one my favorite Beyers.

There is a lot of varying opinions and a bit too much fanboyism, but honestly find it comes with the territory, can't really sift through the noise well on a site this big, and sifting through the noise too much can cause alternative views to be overlooked. Beyers are not really for everyone, the Amiron may work better for those who aren't Beyer fans. The Amiron Home is still very much a Beyer though, yes it does have a softer and more fluid treble and sound texture than most Beyers, it's also probably the warmest sounding Beyer, the mids are laid-back(the DT 1990 is definitely more forward in the mids), but it still has the Beyer peak(which like most Beyers can be EQ'd out without much issue). The treble isn’t fatiguing in the least to me but can see why some find the Amiron bright, especially on a bright system. While very different than the HD 650, it does achieve a similar relaxing listening experience. Though ideally the Amiron should be listened to at low to moderate volumes for the relaxing experience, the Beyer energy definitely shows itself at higher volumes.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #945 of 2,669
True, which is why I find it a pointless revision, it's not like you are getting you're money's worth extra as they took away one accessory and added another. The tuning of the Hawks has never bothered me, I am actually glad they made them sound unique, you can EQ or mod a headphone to personalize the headphone for yourself if one wanted to, my issue was more with their treble which I couldn't fix and the fatigue I got from them. The DT 1990 is one my favorite Beyers.

There is a lot of varying opinions and a bit too much fanboyism, but honestly find it comes with the territory, can't really sift through the noise well on a site this big, and sifting through the noise too much can cause alternative views to be overlooked. Beyers are not really for everyone, the Amiron may work better for those who aren't Beyer fans. The Amiron Home is still very much a Beyer though, yes it does have a softer and more fluid treble and sound texture than most Beyers, it's also probably the warmest sounding Beyer, the mids are laid-back(the DT 1990 is definitely more forward in the mids), but it still has the Beyer peak(which like most Beyers can be EQ'd out without much issue). The treble isn’t fatiguing in the least to me but can see why some find the Amiron bright, especially on a bright system. While very different than the HD 650, it does achieve a similar relaxing listening experience. Though ideally the Amiron should be listened to at low to moderate volumes for the relaxing experience, the Beyer energy definitely shows itself at higher volumes.

Wow that’s interesting! So the 1990 treble doesn’t bother you but the Hawks treble does? And then the Amiron treble is more laid back than the 1990? If that’s true, the Amiron may be the first Beyer I actually like. I just can’t take excessive treble. To my ears, the best treble I’ve ever heard was on the Shure 1540. I will never need more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back