Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Nov 13, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #961 of 2,669
But surely using a different dac/amp combo, couldn't possibly produce more than subtle differences in the harshness of the treble, with the headphones themselves have a slight treble spike?

You'll be surprised what changing the type of DAC can do to sound, implementation of DACs matters a lot, but I've usually been able to tell if a DAC is a ESS Sabre or a Burr-brown, they have different sound characters, ESS Sabres seem to be more detail and soundstage/imaging oriented and burr-browns tend to be more dynamic/robust with smoother highs(on the better ones, the crappier burr-browns are often quite sharp sounding up top). You would think it wouldn't, but the change can be the difference of tolerable to not tolerable. I think it's more of a treble texture thing. Honestly I usually don't like the Amirons or honestly Beyers in general out of anything but a R2R dac or a nice Burr-brown dac in terms of DACs. Other sources such as vinyl, cd players, etc. is a different story.

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #962 of 2,669
You'll be surprised what changing the type of DAC can do to sound, implementation of DACs matters a lot, but I've usually been able to tell if a DAC is a ESS Sabre or a Burr-brown, they have different sound characters, ESS Sabres seem to be more detail and soundstage/imaging oriented and burr-browns tend to be more dynamic/robust with smoother highs(on the better ones, the crappier burr-browns are often quite sharp sounding up top). You would think it wouldn't, but the change can be the difference of tolerable to not tolerable. I think it's more of a treble texture thing. Honestly I usually don't like the Amirons or honestly Beyers in general out of anything but a R2R dac or a nice Burr-brown dac in terms of DACs. Other sources such as vinyl, cd players, etc. is a different story.

But would this still be the case when using headphones for all round use such as youtube, netflix quality audio, and 1080p tv rips??

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #963 of 2,669
But surely using a different dac/amp combo, couldn't possibly produce more than subtle differences in the harshness of the treble, with the headphones themselves have a slight treble spike?
On some headphones a change in DAC might not be really noticeable but with other headphones even the smallest differences between DACs can be very noticeable which also applies to amps. Then again some can't hear any differences in DACs/amps no matter what headphone is used so you really need to listen for yourself to see if there is a difference and/or if you can hear the differences.

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #964 of 2,669
But would this still be the case when using headphones for all round use such as youtube, netflix quality audio, and 1080p tv rips??

Yes, I am a heavy user of YouTube, Netflix, etc. I only use high quality recordings on select music listening but half my music listening is YouTube, etc. looking for new songs. Even crappy recordings on YouTube don’t bother me on my setup but I also got used to the Amirons treble as well, only found it too much on certain sources though, which may explain this headphones wildly varied reviews in terms of treble. I also game on the pc quite a bit. Synergy is a big deal with some headphones, some are far more sensitive to changes than others.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #965 of 2,669
I just removed one of the earpads from my Amiron, thinking it would be as easy to install as the DT-880 earpads - but it was a pain in the butt to install on the Amiron! I'd recommend not removing them unless you really have to.

BTW, the two earpads are compatible, though I think that might have been mentioned earlier in the thread.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #966 of 2,669
I just removed one of the earpads from my Amiron, thinking it would be as easy to install as the DT-880 earpads - but it was a pain in the butt to install on the Amiron! I'd recommend not removing them unless you really have to.

BTW, the two earpads are compatible, though I think that might have been mentioned earlier in the thread.

It's not bad once you figure it out, it is more difficult than the DT 1990 pads though. There is a double lip on the Amiron pads, you have to make sure to get both on the ring, honestly would take the whole ring off the headphone to install them then snap the ring back on the earcups.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #967 of 2,669
It's not bad once you figure it out, it is more difficult than the DT 1990 pads though. There is a double lip on the Amiron pads, you have to make sure to get both on the ring, honestly would take the whole ring off the headphone to install them then snap the ring back on the earcups.

Yeah, I figured there might be a trick to it. There is a notch on the outer edge, with one side of the notch rounded, that looks like it might make it easy to install the earpads if you know the trick, like somehow rotating them on.

Speaking of earpads, is there any easy way to purchase the DT-1990 earpads to try on the Amiron? Has anyone tried the DT-1990 earpads on the Amiron?

I just purchased a pair of Dekoni Elite Velour earpads, more so for my DT-880, though I might try them on the Amiron. I love the comfort of the Amiron earpads though, and love the sound of the Amiron, so there's not much to improve for me.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #968 of 2,669
Yeah, I figured there might be a trick to it. There is a notch on the outer edge, with one side of the notch rounded, that looks like it might make it easy to install the earpads if you know the trick, like somehow rotating them on.

Speaking of earpads, is there any easy way to purchase the DT-1990 earpads to try on the Amiron? Has anyone tried the DT-1990 earpads on the Amiron?

I just purchased a pair of Dekoni Elite Velour earpads, more so for my DT-880, though I might try them on the Amiron. I love the comfort of the Amiron earpads though, and love the sound of the Amiron, so there's not much to improve for me.

That works well on the DT 1990, not sure much on the Amiron which the double lip(the clear one and the smaller black one under it) makes it hard to twist on, so I just pry the ring off the earcup on the Amiron to replace the pads.

Not sure, but I have tried the DT 1990 pads on the Amiron, makes the headphone more comfortable believe it or not. It brightens up the sound, brings forward the mids a bit, and tones down the bass, not quite as thick as the regular Amiron but not quite as punchy and dynamic as the DT 1990. This is on both pads, it's too bass light and lean for my tastes on the DT 1990 analytical pads, the balanced pads work better to my ears.

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #970 of 2,669
Are the Amiron the new Treble King?

In terms of quality it's definitely amazing treble wise. If we are talking bright but very smooth, non-harsh, and non-fatiguing it's definitely a treble lovers delight. Wouldn't call it a treble king, maybe it's the treble king in it's price range, it's just a headphone with excellent quality treble where it doesn't bother one as sensitive as I am to treble despite it being bright, I find the treble so unoffensive it comes off as dark to me at times and many others.

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #971 of 2,669
In terms of quality it's definitely amazing treble wise. If we are talking bright but very smooth, non-harsh, and non-fatiguing it's definitely a treble lovers delight. Wouldn't call it a treble king, maybe it's the treble king in it's price range, it's just a headphone with excellent quality treble where it doesn't bother one as sensitive as I am to treble despite it being bright, I find the treble so unoffensive it comes off as dark to me at times and many others.
Nice! I'm considering the Beyer Duo aka Amiron and DT1990. I'm guessing DT1990 is more on the analytical side where the Amiron should be a laid back while still maintaining the typical tesla sound.

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #972 of 2,669
Nice! I'm considering the Beyer Duo aka Amiron and DT1990. I'm guessing DT1990 is more on the analytical side where the Amiron should be a laid back while still maintaining the typical tesla sound.

That's basically it, the DT 1990 is more dynamic, forward, and punchy while the Amiron is more expansive, relaxed, and soft with maybe a smidgen of Sennheiser flavor to it but still definitely a Tesla Beyer. Definitely worth trying them both, I liked the DT 1990 more at first but the Amiron slowly overtook the DT 1990 over a period of a couple months while others had the opposite happen.

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #974 of 2,669
Hi there, I'm now in the position of picking up the Amiron at a substantial discount. I currently own the DT880 600ohm. Would this be a worthy upgrade? Thanks for any feedback,
Ivan

Only you can decide. My DT880 is the 250ohm but I have to confess that I have not listened to music with it since I got the Amiron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back