Beyer MANUFACTURE
Aug 18, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #226 of 310
holy crap! those are the nicest woodied beyers I've seen

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #227 of 310
Thanks! I do like the look of these - when I had previously ordered custom Beyers, they didn't offer the cool woodgrain
biggrin.gif
In person it still really looks like real wood.

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #228 of 310
Hi Skylab!
Is it really wood or just wood pattern on plastic?
Also, if you remember, Sky, as i found with my thread about wooding my 770's., those genuine leather pads are not good for Beyers770\2005. They need some nice low-profile ones. Also, 770\2005 are pretty bass-shy cans...(there's some damping caps on the driver on dt 770\2005. Also, if you can disassemble some other versions of dt 770, it'll be interesting to know if there're those damping caps. Feel free and welcome to contribute about it in that thread too!
Also, damn lazy Beyer for leaving those black fixator circle on nice brown pads, really messes up beautiful concept you've created!

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #229 of 310
It is actually plastic, with a very nice simulated woodgrain. Looks nice.

I agree about the leather pads - I have tried the "pleather" pads, and they actually sound more balanced, to me. But they don't look nearly as nice
frown.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #230 of 310
uh ...oh, Rob is going to the bright side
frown.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #231 of 310
Quote:

But they don't look nearly as nice

Yeah, those pleather ones are really cheap looking. They can't mess with genuine leather ones in terms of looks, touch and smell!! Sadly, they're sound not as good. BAd, bad dilemma. I've found some compromise for myself though-HD 250 pads.

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #232 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh ...oh, Rob is going to the bright side
frown.gif

Not a chance
biggrin.gif
. These are too bright for me as they are. I am going to play around with them.

QQQ, I will try messing with that damping stuff, thanks for the reminder.

Aug 30, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #234 of 310
I had them recabled by S2 Audio. They sound MUCH better now
biggrin.gif

dt770600recable1.jpg

dt7702fo7.jpg

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #236 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, kind of, yeah! These are actually the LEAST bassy headphones I currently own, at least as of now. Quite a surprise. Less bass than the Denon, Kenwood, and JVC cans I own. Less bass than the Ultrasone 780 and AT ESW9 too.

Certainly not at all bad sounding, but still a real surprise. They do not sound like I recall the 770/250's I had a year or so ago.

i thought 600ohm, with the extra power that should generate more bass but instead not much? so i guess i should get 250 ohm instead.

Aug 31, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #237 of 310
Well with the recable they have considerably more bass - not due to the cable itself, but due to the fact that the dual-entry recable leaves the two additional holes where the original cable running from one cup to the other once was as additional "ports" for the bass. This has made these much more balanced sounding. They still have a little more treble energy than I would like, but they are now on par with the DT990 in terms of bass.

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #239 of 310
Wow, those are some colors!

Some folks have asked me what colors I chose for my 770/600's. I chose "Walnut Burl" for the housing, mounting and endpiece; "anodised rust-brown" for the metal bits, "dark brown" (leather) for the headband and "cognac" for the earpads, although I immediately darkened those with leather conditioner so they better match the headband.

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #240 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and "cognac" for the earpads, although I immediately darkened those with leather conditioner so they better match the headband.

OK, so that's why I wasn't able to identify the color. Thanks! I am also surprised that the headband is "dark brown". It matches very well with the anodized parts although in the software "cognac" seems to be a much better choice...but it looks different to the "cognac" on the earpads. I'll go with dark brown then because I am thinking about a glossy black DT770/660 with rust-brown accents or golden accents. Not sure yet, but you helped a lot, thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

m00h

Users who are viewing this thread

Back