Better to have multiple "good" pairs, or one killer pair? POLL!
Jan 4, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #61 of 122
Throughout my entire life I have never tested or even seriously researched; an automobile, a motorcycle or boat beyond the limits of my expected budget. I have always researched the subject nearly to death prior to that purchase.

......yeah, I know, "recreational" reading is always fun, though.
rolleyes.gif

Worked so far!! I've always been happy with my purchases!!
icon10.gif

With phones, I believe the phones should be at the same overall level as the remainder of the system driving them, and this sets the level of cost/quality in which the phones should fall.

I currently have phones in which I am very happy with the rock side of things. I also have my sights set upon a pair of phones which will cover the classical side.

....and from tons of study and research I "Just Know" that they will be absolutely perfect for the role I have set for them!

When a CD enters my collection, I will take the narrow view and assign it to one set of cans or the other...perhaps by listening to a snippet of a favorite piece on that CD on both, but no more, and allowing my speaker system to help with the final decision since it can be set to play all music types....and NEVER play it on the other!! If cans "A" do even a small portion of the spectrum "Better" than cans "S"......I don't wanna know it!!

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #62 of 122
A few earphones - not for their musical abilities across different genres but for different activities e.g. chores, exercising, commuting etc. Wouldn't want to ruin a pair of expensive earphones while jogging or vacuuming.

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #63 of 122
Interesting . . . 52.41% of regular members prefer one perfect pair, whereas 58.33% of contributers prefer one perfect pair. Hmm . . . probably a coincidence -- sample size isn't big enough. Am I thinking out loud?

Jan 4, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #64 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting . . . 52.41% of regular members prefer one perfect pair, whereas 58.33% of contributers prefer one perfect pair. Hmm . . . probably a coincidence -- sample size isn't big enough. Am I thinking out loud?

well an interesting poll, but I echo somewhat the sentiment that others' have provided.. several killer pairs to complement one another should be an option on this poll...

(like an L3K and R10 or like an Omega and HE90 or the HP-2 and GS1000 etc)
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #65 of 122
Multiple pairs, because I wouldn't want to take the K701s on the metro!

That, and there's just so much headphone "flavor" out there to experiment with.

--Chris

Jan 4, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #66 of 122
How about 2 killer pairs as I'm not sure if there is a "perfect" pair in existence? While I could probably live happily ever after with either the W5000 or the HP2, having the option between the two truly ends my headphone quest...for now.
tongue.gif

Actually I haven't gotten a new pair of headphones for a year now (except the iGrado I won at the National Meet), and there's nothing out there in the horizon that interests me at all.

Jan 4, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #67 of 122
Multiple pairs, not only for mood, but for comfort as well. For instance, I have Shure E2C's for when I need isolation, but don't want to be wearing my Super.Fi 5 Pro's when I'm mowing the lawn. I have a pair of KSC75's for when I jog in the morning, and EW-9's for critical listening (I assume, since I haven't gotten them yet....). I wish I had a jack of all trade pair too, but I only use IEM/Canalphones and Earclip phones, and that's just the nature of the beast.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #68 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about 2 killer pairs as I'm not sure if there is a "perfect" pair in existence? While I could probably live happily ever after with either the W5000 or the HP2, having the option between the two truly ends my headphone quest...for now.
tongue.gif

Oski you traitor... 2 pairs and voting for "one perfect pair."

I dare you to choose just one, either W5000 or HP2, to use for let's say the next 10 years.

I'll buy the other one off you.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #69 of 122
1 pair of the best headphones I can afford. They’ll never be perfect but they can cover as many bases as possible.

So now I have the PS-1’s. In the closet is the HE90’s and Omega 2’s which are waiting on the Aristeaus. I hope to have a wonderful headphone shoot out and then decide what to do, I’ll either keep 1 headphone system or bail completely and go 2-channel.

“Interesting . . . 52.41% of regular members prefer one perfect pair, whereas 58.33% of contributors prefer one perfect pair.”

Good Observation.

Mitch

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #70 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oski you traitor... 2 pairs and voting for "one perfect pair."

I dare you to choose just one, either W5000 or HP2, to use for let's say the next 10 years.

I'll buy the other one off you.
evil_smiley.gif

Elephas, that's like having to choose between two kids! They have to get equal love...but if they were both in the path of a runaway truck and I only have time to save one...then I'd have to dive after the W5000. Shhhh...don't let my HP2 know.
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #71 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but if they were both in the path of a runaway truck and I only have time to save one...then I'd have to dive after the W5000.

The HP2 would shrug off getting run over by a truck, come back really pissed off and kick some butt "for leaving me there and taking that ugly wooden thing instead."
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #73 of 122
Start with one killer pair and build your system around that.... source, DAC, amp, cables. That becomes the reference. From there branch out into other killer or semi-killer cans and build systems around those cans....

one of these days I'm going to scale up the ER4 ladder.

The head-fi way!!
rs1smile.gif
600smile.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #75 of 122
I chose many, because I love having many pairs of cans, amps, sources, everything. I love being able to choose what I want, depending on what I'm going to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back