Better to have multiple "good" pairs, or one killer pair? POLL!
Dec 31, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #46 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't think "one perfect pair" makes much since, unless you are talking about brests

I have 3 pairs, all serving different purposes.

etys - portable isolation
kk271S - watching movies on my computer, long flights
grado sr225 - for those times when i have the house to myself and everything is quiet

but to each their own, i think a couple people *dlkasjgsa* ipodpj/trose they are the same person anyway *dksljgaldk* will probably say that all you need is a pair of $1,000 custom IEMS and you will be happy, or the cheapy unversial fit version.

i like my etys, but not enough to have them as my only phone

hope this helps you!

blink.gif
confused.gif
I assure you we are not the same person. And keep the personal attacks off of the freakin' threads. That doesn't say much for your level of maturity if you have to resort to such ludicrious statements.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #47 of 122
What if that "killer pair" breaks?

You need a back up. DUH.
Besides, there are a variety of headphone types which differ from situation to situation. IEM's for travelling, earbuds/streetstyle for workouts, casual for a get-together with friends, and studio/home for some intensive listening.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #48 of 122
I would love to put all my money into one perfect headphone. The problem is that it doesn't exist - or at least, I've never found it.

If I were to describe it, I'd say it was a closed headphone that isolates extremely well and sounds just like a k501.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: The k271S doesn't quite fill these shoes . . .

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #49 of 122
I am beginning this journey and my mentality is to experience all the top contenders before building an ultimate can. Started with Ety4s/K701s. Will get the Senns, Grado, Beyer, AT, Ultrasone taste. Awaiting delivery of a home amp to test with. Will most likely end up with several flavors of cans. Though not near the level of the Cayman whor house.
cool.gif

I have a suspicion I would be listening to bliss sooner if I were to just get the statics now. Waiting for some meets to taste.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #51 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by PPK812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
omg... when you became audiohpiles, did you all get pots of gold given to you...

bleh...I can barely finance myself for 1 pair of nice cans ><

At 50, I have some allowable funds for a hobby. Some smoke, drink, gamble, drive, fly, dive, watch, etc..... I enjoy music. Well, some others too. When you get here, see where you came from. You'll remember those nice cans. Probably still have them. I just threw out some Koss pro 44s and HD 420s, Sonys 20+ yrs old. This hobby has come a long way in 30 years.

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #52 of 122
Will one of the peeps that voted for "one perfect pair" kindly tell me what they are, so that I can sell all those other ones I have, and get the "perfect pair"? Thanks in advance.

Fill in make and model of the perfect pair HERE:

biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #53 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will one of the peeps that voted for "one perfect pair" kindly tell me what they are, so that I can sell all those other ones I have, and get the "perfect pair"? Thanks in advance.

biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

I like my CD3K's a whole bunch. I think they do just about every genre I listen to well and to my personal tastes.
3000smile.gif
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #54 of 122
Quote:

biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

There is no perfect headphone and never will be.... A better way to put it would be: perfect sound signature and tonal balance (to your ears).

That way, you could have 1 IEM, for when you're on the go, and 1 FULL SIZE CAN for at home that matched exactly in SS and TB.

And that's what I strive to acquire one day - the perfect 2 pairs of headphones.

But, as I said earlier, for now I would choose the perfect headphone, if one such thing existed.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #55 of 122
Being in it for like 4 months I always look at my PortaPro, PX100 and iGrado and wish I put the money together and get myself some MS-1 right from the start. I completely understand that there's no perfect phones but somehow you really are wasting money not getting the one you're so reluctant to get. That's how I put my vote
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #56 of 122
I voted put your money towards best possible one you can afford.
Having multiple pairs is great for a change up,but I would rather have 1 great headphone then a bunch of ok phones.

Jan 4, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #57 of 122
I put my vote in for multiple pairs ...

For me, hi-fi hits diminishing returns the higher up you climb up the budget. Getting the last 10% costs what gets you the 40% just below.

Personally, I can much better appreciate having a variety of pairs that are 90% there, each in their own different way, to the advantages of the last 10%.

And heck, you can't A/B all day long with just one great pair, right? That's half the fun of this hobby!

Jan 4, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #58 of 122
Quote:

biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

My perfect pair is the modded W5000. No other headphone comes close for my tastes.
eggosmile.gif

If only I could afford to have more than one so I can have one for keeping in good condition for main listening and taking to meets, and another that can get beat up for general daily use and sleep listening. If I didn't keep spending money on my speaker system, maybe I would get two pairs.
blink.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #60 of 122
Definitely just the one. I believe a good setup should be able to do any kind of music well and having different setups for different genres of music is pretty silly. Sacrificing technical ability for some coloration is a no-no to me, especially when most of the coloration can be done with EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back