Better to have multiple "good" pairs, or one killer pair? POLL!
Dec 29, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #31 of 122
I'm going with Team collection. I guess I haven't found the perfect can yet. Maybe budget plays a great part in it.

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #32 of 122
Well I sold off UE 5.Pro's for Shure E4s and will bring in some Westone UM2s

I'm debating with next year's student loan top up, whether to get Shure E500 (unless something else comes up) or to hell with it and spend a bit extra on full-out customs

Either way I'm in the collection camp

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #33 of 122
I voted for one perfect pair. I currently have 1 good, 3 great headphones here but find myself only using one, for all music. I expect to sell the rest and focus on that single headphone in a couple weeks.

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #34 of 122
Kind of a theoretical question, eh?

Still, I don't want to have to switch headphones all the time because I'm listening to classical, or punk, or something in between. I always end up reaching for my favorite phones, and the others languish. And even if I do switch phones for a bit, it takes a while to get used to the sound again, and as a result don't immediately sound as pleasing as my old pair.

Of course, if I switched off every month or so, maybe I could get variety and SQ....

blink.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #35 of 122
I guess I'm part of Team Collection Looking 4 Perfection! No, seriously, I have multiple sets of headphones and enjoy most of them for different types of moods. There is one that I use most of the time (HD650) but others that I like to use now and again, depending on mood. For instance, when I want a really bass-heavy experience, I go for the DT770. If I need isolation with too much noise around me (kids, for instance), I go with the sf5p's. Want a more "fun" sound with good mids... then I go for my K271's. Really just depends on mood. Maybe I haven't come across the perfect can set yet, but I cannot see myself happy with just one set ever. I guess time will tell.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #36 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the option for having multiple killer pairs?
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

He he... that's why I call my place the ultimate strip club of the headphone world!
cool.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #37 of 122
I wouldn't collect multiple cans that possess the same sound. I.e if I were to get a pair of A900s, I would sell my A700s first. But I would like the highest end of the sounds I like. I.e if I like the MS1s I'm about to get, then I might buy the MS2s, and if I like K501s, I'd get K701s.

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #38 of 122
I would probably vote for multiple killer pairs. There is no single pair of headphone that is perfect for all types of music. My R10 and L3000 can pretty much cover everything though.

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #40 of 122
Head-Fiers,

for me, gotta have a few different sets to ensure that I don't get ridiculed off public transportation etc. :)

- in ear/canalphones for portable usage (airplane, train, bus)

- K701's for uncoloured high quality listening

Happy New Year/Bonne Année

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #41 of 122
voted MANY - for me Home all arunder HD595, office - sr60, outside - EP-630. I am not sure how perfect headphones for inside and outside use should be like? Little, big, with coloured sound? , neutral?

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #42 of 122
i don't think "one perfect pair" makes much since, unless you are talking about brests

I have 3 pairs, all serving different purposes.

etys - portable isolation
kk271S - watching movies on my computer, long flights
grado sr225 - for those times when i have the house to myself and everything is quiet

but to each their own, i think a couple people *dlkasjgsa* ipodpj/trose they are the same person anyway *dksljgaldk* will probably say that all you need is a pair of $1,000 custom IEMS and you will be happy, or the cheapy unversial fit version.

i like my etys, but not enough to have them as my only phone

hope this helps you!

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #43 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnaround /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the same budget, do you prefer to:

(A) have a few (or even many) pairs of headphones?
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif

OR

(B) put all your money into one *perfect* pair?
k1000smile.gif

Now, I don't mean having multiple pairs like having open headphones for home use and ear buds for your ipod outside the home. Most people have at least two jackets -- a heavy one and a thin one.

I mean like having multiple pairs of cans that you use at home or that you switch around with your ipod, when for the same amount of money you could get one deluxe model. For those people who do, I'm curious if you also have more than one source component or amp ... or if it's mostly the cans that you like variety.

Put your money into one perfect pair first. Then as funds allow, buy the headphones that you'll use in the everyday world knowing that you can always reclaibrate your ears with your reference pair.

Or not.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #45 of 122
Well this is a pretty evenly split poll at the moment... 71 to 70...

If I can find the "perfect" headphone for my tastes, why would I need to look elsewhere? I'd much rather have "the one" that I spend time getting to know and love and can always rely on it's excellent sound signature. If I could have five pairs of $400 headphones, but the perfect one for me cost $2,000, I would put all my eggs into that one basket -- most definately.

But is there such a thing as a perfect headphone? For most, the answer will never be a resounding "yes", especially here on Head-Fi where we learn to appreciate the wonderful aspects of many different phones.

But it just goes to show you the diversified opinion of this question, as the polls are even.

My vote goes to perfect headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back