Better to have multiple "good" pairs, or one killer pair? POLL!
Dec 29, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #16 of 122
How about the option for having multiple killer pairs?
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Dec 29, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #17 of 122
It's not just a question of taste and genres and musical abilities.

To be honest: It's also a question of collectitis and pure senseless greed. I tend to hide this behind "reasonable" or "subtle" reasons. A new (senseless) pair of cans gives me happiness that I sometimes miss in the ordinary everyday life.

It's not that different from the odd stamp collector.

Dec 29, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #18 of 122
I keep buying many pairs, in search of the "perfect" pair -- if such a thing exists. I can't imagine owning just one pair....
580smile.gif
280smile.gif
basshead.gif
blink.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #21 of 122
I voted for more than one.

Today.

I know that my MS2i are great for everything short of the biggest of the classical pieces, or for pipe organ listening with pipes longer than about 16' so I will be getting HD600s to fill in.

What I don't know is: Will I be happy with HD600 as a "single" set of phones, when they get here?!

I wonder.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #22 of 122
One Killer all the way !
I had many nice ones(K-340, HF-1, DT880, CD3000 etc...), and sold them all to go for a higher league can(ATH-W5K), after listening to the W5000, I had to sell all the others, as I couldn't listen to them any more
blink.gif
eggosmile.gif

same goes for portable.

P.S.
Having a few stuff at a certain time is nice, to test, then sell and settle down, until the next upgradities come
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #23 of 122
There's no perfect headphone because if you had a perfectly neutral presentation then you would probably crave something with an enhanced bass, and - if you had something with an enhanced bass - vice versa. Clearly, there's no future in having fifty awful headphones "hard-wired" (as it were) with fifty different EQ settings, but you certainly need more than one set. If you had one perfectly neutral set and the world's best equaliser that would seem to be the best single-headphone rig, though.

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #24 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rather have a few "perfect" pairs.
very_evil_smiley.gif

-Alex-

me too..all in all, for my preferences- I have no complaints right now.

BDGS1000
HP-2

and when I am feeling crazy..

Vintage Dark RS-1 with Brown Headband/Gold Lettering.

([size=xx-small]All other phones are for portability, exercise, or lounging around outside-like[/size])

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #25 of 122
i have mood swings regarding the type of sound i crave so i got three great headphones. I believe in using only one amp.

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #27 of 122
Bah...I listen to the same song over and over using different sets of cans. So while I've found the perfect song, I haven't found the perfect listening device. just kidding of course...
tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #28 of 122
My HD650 on my current setup is sounding awesome for every genre: because it's so life like for me. Doesn't get much better then this, because I've found the right synergy of source/amp/headphone. Upgraditis has actually stopped!!!! Now on to building my SACD/CD collection!!!!

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #29 of 122
0MFG - this is like the closest poll results I have seen. 51% vs 49%

...and this kind of debate is the kind that can split head-fi members into two distinct groups.

Team collection and team perfection.

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #30 of 122
I guess I'm part of "Team Collection", then. I never meant to be, and I blame all of you sons of b's!!! I like to pair up a set of cans with a specific rig for synergy and leave 'em that way. Then, I grab what I need out of necessity, convenience, or desire. All of my rigs sound pretty different, but all are equally enjoyable to me. Why would I grab a pair of SR60's + Go-Vibe + vintage Discman when I can listen to recabled DT880's w/a Millet hybrid & several other custom bell and whistle attachments. 'Cause I can, that's why!
etysmile.gif
zD

PS - After my Tomahawk arrives next week, I think I'm all done buying gear. For good. The last thing I would consider is a nice DAC for use w/my Rotel HDCDP. Or a Cmoy for the new Shuffle I got for Xmas last week. Or . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back