Better to have multiple "good" pairs, or one killer pair? POLL!
Dec 29, 2006 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 122

Turnaround

100+ Head-Fier
With the same budget, do you prefer to:

(A) have a few (or even many) pairs of headphones?
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif

OR

(B) put all your money into one *perfect* pair?
k1000smile.gif

Now, I don't mean having multiple pairs like having open headphones for home use and ear buds for your ipod outside the home. Most people have at least two jackets -- a heavy one and a thin one.

I mean like having multiple pairs of cans that you use at home or that you switch around with your ipod, when for the same amount of money you could get one deluxe model. For those people who do, I'm curious if you also have more than one source component or amp ... or if it's mostly the cans that you like variety.

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 122
I sold off ALL of my previous rig to set up a solitary ER-4S rig. For me no point having two or three cans and only one will be used prominently. Even my E888LP is collecting dust now aside from the occasional usage by my wife.

Unless of course collecting cans is your hobby.

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 122
After messing around with numerous headphones over the past 2 years, I have thoroughly convinced the HP-1000's are perfect for me. I am currently on my 3rd set, because I would end up selling them but had to find them again, due to missing their sound so much. I do have a set of old school RS-1's but alas the HP's are still king en casa de Clarin
icon10.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 122
Well best is to have several top-tier phones
biggrin.gif

Given the choice between several "almost but not quite" top-tier versus my favorite truly top-tier phone, I'll take the top phone for sure. I guess it would be the L3000 or R10, not really sure there (probably the L3000 if push came to shove; just can't get away from my first true headphone love). The HP1000 and Qualia aren't bad top choices either IMO.

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 122
Gimme one killer pair.

But like Mulveling^ said, three or four killer pairs is it...
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 122
I'll take a few pairs of really good cans so I can use the pair that fits my mood / source / material of the momment. Then again, I don't have the budget to burn at the momment so anything truly killer is out of reach still.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #9 of 122
I'm basically at the 1 great headphone for all around (HD650), 1 portable set (UM2), and one lower priced set for fun (MS-1). Regardless of how much I like these 650s, I have to keep the ms-1s for guitar heavy tracks.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #10 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by schapman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm basically at the 1 great headphone for all around (HD650), 1 portable set (UM2), and one lower priced set for fun (MS-1). Regardless of how much I like these 650s, I have to keep the ms-1s for guitar heavy tracks.

So, you mean 'many' same as me then
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 122
If your music taste is very varied, multiple pairs is kinda required, though there are some very killer jack of all trades headphones available too. But im a supporter of "dedicated can for certain genre" ideology.

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #12 of 122
I would like to have only one killer pair, but please tell me which one. Who knows such a thing? I think it is not possible, cos if you love music you will be searching to the new genres as well. That's almost means ANOTHER PAIR. If someone can tell me which one to try, considering genres like ROCK, JAZZ, LOUNGE, TRANCE, CLUB, CLASSIC... Do I have to go any further
confused.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #13 of 122
I prefer having one single pair of headpones - not necessarily the perfect killer pair but certainly the best "all-rounder" pair I can afford and find.

Dec 29, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #14 of 122
I said the first one, but it depends on your level of audiophilia. If you're just starting out, you want to be spreading your budget and trying as much as possible, in order to get an idea of what's right for you.

Then when you know what you like, it might be better to trim down to the can (or, admittedly, cans) that you are likely to actually use, and sound best with your music.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:23 AM Post #15 of 122
A few, or even many, pairs of headphones for me!
Where one might actually be the *perfect* pair.
lambda.gif

Cause you never know which are the *perfect* pair before you have something to compare with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back