Better to have multiple "good" pairs, or one killer pair? POLL!
Jan 5, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #76 of 122
I have the O2 and the AMT, btoh of which I consider to be perfect and I wouldnt not part with either of them. Does this count as a perfect pair(ing)?

I am saving up for a third pair of high end cans at the minute though, hopefully that will mean the completion of my holy trinity of headphone goodness.

But yeah, I voted multiple pairs, I couldnt give up either of my two for the other, so it seemed the correct choice. The same was true when I had my SR-202 / HD650 pairing.

Two complimentary pairs is the best way imho. One can never quite manages to satisfy completely.

Feb 20, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #78 of 122
I have multiple pairs ranging from E2c's for when I excercise (these stay in my ears the best while on the move), to my new Vibes I pick up when I feel like casual listening to portable music like iPod or cd player since these are so easy to put in the ears, and they stay in place well for hours at a time. I also have Senn HD 5?? I plug them into my home amp for some serious listening (I have had these since the early 1990's I have forgotten which ones I own but they still sound fantastic).

I still have not found the perfect headphones, but the search continues.
lambda.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #80 of 122
I don't think any one headphone would be "perfect" for me. Now one pair of really good speakers and no headphones at all I could live with.

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #81 of 122
Just as one would at Perfumery smell the coffee beans to clear out the residual essence of the previous tester so too does one need to own at least three killer headphones to keep the sound signature of each relatively fresh when their turn comes up on the rotation roster.

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #82 of 122
1 portable, 1 open home, 1 closed home. pretty much all you'll ever need to be honest.

(for me, it would probaby be: custom IEM, RS1/HP1000/MS-Pro, Headphiled DT770s)

and those three would probably cover all of the rock, blues, classical, jazz, and electronica you can think of.

Feb 20, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #83 of 122
The only problem with having more than one set of primary phones using the same amp is the constant plugging and unplugging!!

Going back and forth from MS2i to HD600 is wearing out the poor output jack!!
frown.gif

....I really should go to the DIY forum and check things out.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #84 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only problem with having more than one set of primary phones using the same amp is the constant plugging and unplugging!!

Going back and forth from MS2i to HD600 is wearing out the poor output jack!!
frown.gif

....I really should go to the DIY forum and check things out.
rolleyes.gif

buy another identical amp
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #85 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rather have a few "perfect" pairs.
very_evil_smiley.gif

-Alex-

X2, that is what I do, once I love a heapdhone, I get the mate for it....

Later on, I even put them together the whole night in the same drawer, very close and play some romantic music through them, but no luck, no breeding....
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #86 of 122
My sig might tell another story. I would take the one Killer pair. No hesitation, everyday.

cheers

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #88 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
buy another identical amp
tongue.gif

....and another identical source....arrrrrgh!!!
confused.gif
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #89 of 122
replacing "perfect" with "spectacular", i would acually have a lot of different cans. I love using new cans, it makes it seem like new music. a lot of times i dont even prefer one over the other, i just like to mix it up. <but maybe i say this because i havent tried the spectacular headphones>

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #90 of 122
Interesting question.

I'd go for the multis. Because headphones are like speakers, they have tremendous impact on the final sound, and switching headphones periodically is like doubling or trebling your music library. DIfferent headphones, and especially different styles of phones, reveal different aspects of the music.

Recently my e500 turned up with frayed connector. While it was away I relied on my modded 225. It was like having all new music. I had *used* the 225, but didn't rely on it, going IEM instead for the most part.

I was really glad to experience the contrast.

Not to mention that the 225 is warmer in winter than the e500:wink:

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back