Better to have multiple "good" pairs, or one killer pair? POLL!
Feb 25, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #106 of 122
I'd like to say one pair but it's not very realstic as no headphone is really perfect each are good for different things there is always going to be flaws.

I'll probably own no more than 3 headphones as that should be enough

Feb 25, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #108 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnaround /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the same budget, do you prefer to:

(A) have a few (or even many) pairs of headphones?
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif

OR

(B) put all your money into one *perfect* pair?
k1000smile.gif

Now, I don't mean having multiple pairs like having open headphones for home use and ear buds for your ipod outside the home. Most people have at least two jackets -- a heavy one and a thin one.

I mean like having multiple pairs of cans that you use at home or that you switch around with your ipod, when for the same amount of money you could get one deluxe model. For those people who do, I'm curious if you also have more than one source component or amp ... or if it's mostly the cans that you like variety.

Really, I think A. Every set has their own "sound", and I like having some extra sets for what mood I'm in, or what music I'm listening to, or etc.

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #112 of 122
Call me a nOOb but I'd vote many.

For one, I'd want to enjoy my music with my girlfriend.

Two, you get to experiment with different brands, since every company has its own strengths and weaknesses, it'd be nice to have different phones that perform especially well for certain types of music.

Three, there's always that diminishing returns factor, the perfect phone may often cost even more than twice as the "good" phones.

May 14, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #114 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by eypc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
two pairs. a pair of IEM's for portability sound isolation (for the plane, train, and travel) and a pair of traditional cans for home.

... and conquer.

- lk

May 14, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #115 of 122
I'd prefer one killer can that does everything at least very well, and some things incredibly well. Not sure if that beast exists, but my R10s come reasonably close. That said, I'm considering another pair of 'phones for hard rock, something the R10s can do pretty well, IMHO, especially after a recable, but that they don't necessarily do best of all.

May 14, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #117 of 122
Hard to find cans w/o any weaknesses.

Not much bass on that HE90, or so i hear.

May 14, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #118 of 122
one killer pair...because when you have multiple pairs, it is inevitable that they eventually start collecting dust.

May 14, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #119 of 122
Both. Sorry. I need a killer pair for critical listening, like on the airplane or coffeehouse. I need a cheaper pair to keep in my gym bag for rock and roll during workout.

I say: Get what you need to match the application.

May 14, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #120 of 122
There is no such thing as one killer pair, unfortunately. Each of the headphones, even at the top, have their own set of strengths and weaknesses. So, the obvious answer isn't included in the choice, which is to own multiple killer pairs of headphones.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back