Grado SR60 with flats or Sennheiser HD-280 Pro

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxfazer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado SR60 with flats or Sennheiser HD-280 Pro

Wait... What? Grado's for gaming?

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 46
I could see Grado's for gaming

They have a nice bright sound and the bass response that suits games I would think.

FWIR I'd just replace the pads if the stock ones are too unbearable.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could see Grado's for gaming

They have a nice bright sound and the bass response that suits games I would think.

FWIR I'd just replace the pads if the stock ones are too unbearable.

But they have no soundstage...

What the OP needs is some AD700's.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 46
Probably better to use the little adapter that came with your console. It's a little black box, two (red and white) RCA inputs on one side, three mini outputs (green, black and pink) on the other (to connect to your PC speakers). You can use the black one for headphones.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably better to use the little adapter that came with your console. It's a little black box, two (red and white) RCA inputs on one side, three mini outputs (green, black and pink) on the other (to connect to your PC speakers). You can use the black one for headphones.

Whoa which 360 did that come with? I got a 1st gen elite and it came with a dongle that had stereo RCA's and an optical out.

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa which 360 did that come with? I got a 1st gen elite and it came with a dongle that had stereo RCA's and an optical out.

I've got 2 360's and they both came with the adaptor, I'm not sure what versions they are (they were just console + game packages that were on special). This is what the adaptor looks like.

I'm using the optical output on the 360 breakout cable at the moment too, into a Zero.
smile.gif

mbeno, regarding your wanting to use headsets with mics, I think you'll have to use some sort of a receiver to input the mic into (I've tried plugging mics into the adaptor I mentioned, it doesn't work in my case). If you look at the commercial gaming headsets that are 360 compatible, you'll notice that they either plug straight into the controller, or into a small amp/receiver unit, which plugs into the 360's optical-out. I don't think you can run USB headsets from the 360's USB ports either.

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 46
People around here are going to laugh but Turtle Beach isn't a bad option. But I wouldn't go for the X4.

Turtle Beach Gaming Headsets for Xbox PC Wii PS3 Wireless Headset

The X1, X2 and X4 are supposed to be for the XBox exclusively. I have a friend who works there and he gave me a few headphones to demo.

I tested the X4 and while the wireless part of it was cool, I found the headphones to be a bit clunky, plasticy and cheap feeling. The soundstaging was excellent and helped me increase my frag rate and they were decent for movies, but for music they didn't really cut it. I suspect it's because it was going through the wireless box. I can see for gaming why you would want wireless.

However, the real sleeper is the HPA-2

Turtle Beach Surround Sound PC Headset - Ear Force HPA2

These feel like real headphones with a nice headband, comfy pads, and a good fit. The sound is pretty good for a $100 pair of cans. I'm listening to them right now and they are pretty good. Soundstage is excellent for headphones. Dynamics and clarity are also pretty good. I've heard worse for more money.

When it comes to movies these things are really good. They do give a surround sound effect and details in the sound are so real. Dialogue is easy to hear.

Plus the microphone screws off so if you're not gaming it's not in the way.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #12 of 46
GRADOS is just awful for gaming.... There seem to be more that really hates them than enjoy them for gaming. You have no soundstage, bass is not there but most of it all extremely uncomfortable to wear.

Also you don´t get a mic with these. I think that on the Xbox 360 it has no support for a separate mic so you need to get a headset? Correct me if I am wrong...

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 46
Is there a clip on mic that you can buy for the 360 that plugs directly into the controller? Would something like this work where I just plug the mic into it? Amazon.com: Xbox 360 Headset Adapter: Video Games

Also my 360 definitely did not come with adaptor that OYA is talking about. This seems like it is going to take a lot of crap to get everything to work properly. I wonder if I should just buy a headset made exclusively for the 360 and live with the so so sound...

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbeno13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if I should just buy a headset made exclusively for the 360 and live with the so so sound...

Considering you are only going to use it 5% of the time for music, I would say yes. With the X4, they were not bad for movies. I don't know if I had the best soundcard to run the amp/transmitter. Sound quality improved a great deal when I used The Predator to run the headphones but I lost the surrond sound effect. I don't have an XBox360 so I don't know if somehow the sound will be better hooking it directly to the console. You also get the mic features and with separate chat and game volume controls. The specific XBox360 features should outweigh sound quality issues with music given your applications.

They are not horrible for music but they are certainly not audiophile quality. If you can give up the wireless functions and separate volume controls for game and chat, then the HPA2 is much better all around performer. It has the built in removeable mic and the sound quality is much better for movies and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back