Best Xbox 360 Gaming Headphones
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbeno13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys think about this? Apparently I could use any regular PC Mic then...
Information - SteelSeries

FWIR That has to plug into your TV for it to work? Looks like a decent product but I'm wary on the lack of reviews and that cord.

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Is there a clip on mic that you can buy for the 360 that plugs directly into the controller? Would something like this work where I just plug the mic into it? Amazon.com: Xbox 360 Headset Adapter: Video Games

Also my 360 definitely did not come with adaptor that OYA is talking about. This seems like it is going to take a lot of crap to get everything to work properly. I wonder if I should just buy a headset made exclusively for the 360 and live with the so so sound...

Getting a 360-friendly headset would be a great idea.

The headset adapter you linked seems like a great idea; it'll even let you use a nice pair of headphones + a clip-on mic. But like Emooze pointed out the cord could be a problem.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #18 of 46
Check here for all the info that you'll ever want to know on this exact topic:

What gaming headphones to buy? - Page 91 - AVS Forum

What you must get is two things:

1) Receiver that supports Dolby Headphone Tech (DH)

2) Good pair of stereo headphones

Now you can go about doing this in a number of different options. The first option is to get an all in one package - DH unit plus a headset. There are only 2 options for this:

1) TB X4's

2) Astro A40's

Or you could get yourself a separate DH unit and buy a good pair of stereo headphones plus a mic. With the Astro A40's, you can buy just the DH MixAmp unit and then a pair of different headphones and mic, instead of their headset.

I just summed up all that you really need to know. For a much more in-depth discussion on how everything works, please go to the address i provided.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Tritton AX360 is also a relatively cheap alternative, that you might want to check out.

I don't recommend any of the 2 headsets from Tritton. They use the inferior multi-driver approach for 5.1 surround. DSP - Dolby Headphone Tech. is currently the most effective way for 5.1 surround in headphones. Yamaha offers another DSP - Silent Cinema that is very good, but more complicated and less user friendly. These are the only 2 DSP techs that i'd recommend... with the exception of the Smyth DPS system, but that isn't available to the public, and over $3k.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #21 of 46
Not that complicated, unless you are a total noob. SC has more options and has support for HD codecs.. But DH gives a better feeling of space and seperation, but all things considered, SC is overall better. You can spend literally hours tweaking how you want the reverb and room size to fit your gaming preference.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

The Tritton AX360 is also a relatively cheap alternative, that you might want to check out.

Yeah, bad idea, the sound is weak and tiny due to the gazillion drivers. Like Lee Hany says, quality over quantity.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Hi Everyone! I am new here and just joined to create this very thread. I see a lot of threads about gaming headphones but none exclusively for the Xbox 360 as this is the only place I do my gaming. I will probably be using the headphones about 75% for gaming, 20% for movies/tv, and maybe 5% for music.

Let me first say I know virtually nothing about headphones except what I've learned the past week lurking these forums. The best headphones I own are the Superfi 3 because I couldn't stand those crappy ipod ones. I was planning on buying a set of Turtle Beach X4 headphones but was suggested to visit here instead.

I do most of my gaming on live and thus will require that the headphones have a mic whether attached or clip-on. I really have no idea how I would hook this up to my 360. Also I have no idea how I would hook up the headphones as well. I do not have a receiver or amp etc and do not plan on buying either because my budget is limited. I am looking to spend anywhere from $50-$150 but really would prefer to be in the middle range.

Here is the list I have come up with from reading here:

JVC HARX 700/900
Grado SR60/80
Audio Technica AD500/700
Seinhesser HD555/PC350
Steelsound 4H/5Hv2

I read that the Grado's are really uncomfortable and since I often will be wearing them for 3-6 hour gaming sessions I am leaning against them. Also is it true that the PC350 is the same headset as the HD595? I read that on these forums but couldn't believe it since they are only $150.

I want something that is kind of in your face. My main concern is that they help improve my gaming online. While this is far down the list I also want them to be relevant for movies and music since I am spending a lot of money on headphones (in my eyes). Some of my favorite bands are Oasis, King of Leon, Tom Petty, CCR, Snow Patrol to give you an idea of what I listen to.

Anyways sorry I wrote so much and thanks for any input.
atsmile.gif

Exclusive headphones/headsets are never better then the alternatives. No offense, but 360/ps3 branded headphones/headsets look more like a toy then serious audio gear. You should also consider a pair of orthodynamic headphones. They are planar and generally, have the speed, detail, resolution of electro stats, but still maintains dynamic quality bass. The Yamaha RM5 seems to be a candidate for best bang for the buck this new yr. 59.00. Nice warm sound with plentiful bass. Theres a huge thread on this topic. Denon 1001/Sony XB700/DT150

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #24 of 46
I'd neither use the SR60 for gaming (too much ambient leak both ways) nor use them unamped. I also use the optical out from the xBox (into a VDA2-VAC1 and then amped by my Lunchbox Pro)

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #25 of 46
'Audiophile-grade' SQ isn't really the issue here, since OP does not intend to use his phones for music (5%). What he wanted was a headphone with a mic for Live. There's nothing wrong with any of the toy-ish commercial packages as long as you don't try to judge them by 'audiophile' standards.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

'Audiophile-grade' SQ isn't really the issue here, since OP does not intend to use his phones for music (5%). What he wanted was a headphone with a mic for Live. There's nothing wrong with any of the toy-ish commercial packages as long as you don't try to judge them by 'audiophile' standards.

So let me clarify what you are saying... just because the main purpose will be for gaming, it is ok to buy garbage for audio?

Most people would also think that spending so much on headphones for music is ridiculous, and that a pair of cheap ibuds do the job just fine... pretty much the same way you feel about gaming audio. I, along with many others, would disagree. Different equipment and different quality of headphones make a big difference to the way the world in a game sounds. High quality audio is still important in games.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that complicated, unless you are a total noob. SC has more options and has support for HD codecs.. But DH gives a better feeling of space and seperation, but all things considered, SC is overall better. You can spend literally hours tweaking how you want the reverb and room size to fit your gaming preference.

The HD codecs is what really interests me on SC... but until the next wave of systems come out, it really is not all that important for gaming (at least on the 360 - supports only DD 5.1). Though it would be nice for movies.

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So let me clarify what you are saying... just because the main purpose will be for gaming, it is ok to buy garbage for audio?

Most people would also think that spending so much on headphones for music is ridiculous, and that a pair of cheap ibuds do the job just fine... pretty much the same way you feel about gaming audio. I, along with many others, would disagree. Different equipment and different quality of headphones make a big difference to the way the world in a game sounds. High quality audio is still important in games.

Firstly, I would not consider most of these gaming phones to be 'garbage' at all, even for audio. Secondly, I just think it's important to let other, more relevant, features take a front-seat to SQ when gaming IS the intended function.

Please don't think that I feel SQ is not important for gaming. With the OP's given budget and situation I personally just think that an all-in-one is more suitable than fiddling around with headphones and receivers (he doesn't have any receivers or amps to play around with) and mics.
smile.gif
I love the way my games sound on my current headphoners (and it's great for online matches), but sometimes I wish it had a mic that was 360-friendly. I guess I'm also a bit biased because I hate headphone + clip-on mic setups. If the OP didn't need Live-compatibility then there'd be so much more 'audiophillic' options.

(Also; not to hijack the thread, but I have a question: have you used clip-on mics on Xbox Live games Foe? Wondering what your gaming set-up is like.)

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Firstly, I would not consider most of these gaming phones to be 'garbage' at all, even for audio. Secondly, I just think it's important to let other, more relevant, features take a front-seat to SQ when gaming IS the intended function.

Please don't think that I feel SQ is not important for gaming. With the OP's given budget and situation I personally just think that an all-in-one is more suitable than fiddling around with headphones and receivers (he doesn't have any receivers or amps to play around with) and mics.
smile.gif
I love the way my games sound on my current headphoners (and it's great for online matches), but sometimes I wish it had a mic that was 360-friendly. I guess I'm also a bit biased because I hate headphone + clip-on mic setups. If the OP didn't need Live-compatibility then there'd be so much more 'audiophillic' options.

(Also; not to hijack the thread, but I have a question: have you used clip-on mics on Xbox Live games Foe? Wondering what your gaming set-up is like.)

I didn't even realize he had a rather limited price range.....

Then the best option for strictly gaming for him would be the TB x4's - they support Dolby Headphone DSP for 5.1 surround. And allow him to hook up optical to his 360 into the TB's receiver. They retail for $150-200 usd. For what you are getting, that is a pretty damn good deal. But i would question whether they would be good for music. Also, everything else that TB has to offer in headsets are garbage (stay away from their x1-3's). They did get it right with the x4's.

For gaming i have a small receiver that supports Dolby Headphone, DD 5.1, DTS 5.1-6.1 and DPII. For headphones i use some Beyer DT880 '05s and have a headset boom mic that soldered and put together to work with the headphones and the 360 controller. I attached the boom mic under the headphone cable base (it looks very clean and performs very well, and can be removed). I used to use a zalman clip on mic, but i found myself talking rather loud so that others could hear me. For an amp i use a CI Audio VHP-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back