best wireless headphone system?
Nov 25, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #16 of 88
Scratched Cans
No positional audio...
Wireless Audio Semiconductor Chip Technology |Kleer| (exclude rs170/180; SA's a stand-out, Opera's S2 is it's 'top-end')
My Portable Wireless Headphone Amplifier & DAC - diyAudio

Can't find anywhere locally & CBF finding overseas and doing the MF thing, or hoping they ship etc.
AKG Hearo 999 review ---Head-Fi forums

Seems to be quite old, news & reviews are at least 3yrs old...
There's nothing on their site about wireless headphones, that doesn't inspire confidence.
Panasonic RP-WF6000 Digital 5.1Ch Wireless Headphones
Already ruled out 5500 on the assumption it's an even older model?
ATH-DWL5000 review ---AVS Forums ..... Retailer: AudioCubes
SE-DRS3000C review ---Lowyat Forums . Retailer: AudioCubes
Sennheiser in their wisdom left out positional audio for their top-end wireless cans.
RS 180 ---Sennheiser USA ....................
RS 170 ---Sennheiser USA ....................
So it's a choice between the top-end 'open' 180, or the 'closed' 170 that does have it.

So that's now whittled down from 9 to 5....
It would've been 4 but sennheisser is now two contenders instead of one.

Woohoo now we're getting somewhere! NOT :frowning2:
I'll pick this up again much sooner, time to knock this over once & for all.

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #18 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know there's never (well never say never) going to be a comparison...
I'm not looking for top-notch audiophile grade, as I'll eventually have a decent corded pair for Music.

But I do want something that can mix it with lower end audiophile grade corded cans.
And from some of the reviews I've read this is a reality, hence my interest in users experiences

Can't find anywhere on the net that actually compares a whole bunch of RF headphones! (not interested in BT)
At least not relatively recently... These guys seem to be the main players at a 'reasonable' price bracket...

Panasonic RP-WF5500 2.4GHz digital wireless
AudioCubes.com - Panasonic RP-WF5500 2.4GHz Digital Wireless

Panasonic RP-WF6000 Digital Surround 5.1Ch Wireless Headphones System
Panasonic RP-WF6000 Digital Surround 5.1Ch Wireless Headphones System (100V) (Free 220-240V Transformer) (Black) at AccessoryJack - Buy Online, Compare Prices and Shop for Deals at MyShopping.com.au in Australia - Christmas

Sony MDR-DS7000 Digital Wireless Headphone System
AudioCubes.com - Sony MDR-DS7000 Digital Wireless Headphone System -

Pioneer SE-DIR800CII Dolby Digital Surround
AudioCubes.com - Pioneer SE-DIR800CII Dolby Digital Surround

Audio-Technica ATH-DWL5000R Digital Wireless
AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-DWL5000R Digital Wireless

Pioneer SE-DRS3000C Digital Wireless Surround
AudioCubes.com - Pioneer SE-DRS3000C Digital Wireless Surround

AKG's HEARO 999 Audiosphere II
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f13/et...system-278501/

Beyerdynamic RSX 700 Wireless Headphones
Beyerdynamic RSX 700 Wireless Headphones – HeadphoneWorld.com - Products

Oh and the Sennheisers of course...
Review: Sennheiser RS130 and RS140 headphones - AVReview Accessories reviews

A new range coming out (RS 160-80), no reviews anywhere yet
Sennheiser USA - Wireless Stereo Headphones - Private Audio

This looks interesting too but I'm not a fan of in-ear earphones, & I'm not sure how good the DAC is compared to the aforementioned systems.
Purchase wireless headphones, earbuds, earphones, speakers from Kleer ideal for iPod™
Plus there's no DSP integrated for positional/multi-channel audio in Movies/Games.

This is even more intriguing as it lets you BYO headphones, but I'm guessing the DAC would be no better than the kleer, & again there's no DSP.
i2i Stream - Aerielle Technologies, Inc.

I'm happy to pay for one of the more expensive full-size wireless headphone systems.
So long as I can get some accounts comparing a few of them from users...

hi,
from my experience i should tell you what i thinks sucks and why as i have the sony mdr 6000, pioneer dir800c, 3000c, and even more wireless crappy crap,,, ok u mentioned sony mdr 7000, well if the build quality is anything like the 6000 u should stay away, the 6000 are RF surround sound 2.4 ghz and dont sound bad, have surprisingly more bass than either of the pioneers,, volu knob is good , but,,,,,,they are the loosest awkward just POS built wireless cans they will slip right off your head, i had to specially mod them with an old strap and zipties just to male it tight enough for my head and i have a pretty large head, whoever at sony designed those should be fired because they are WOW u screwed cans, indcredible bad design...
----the pioneer 800 and 800 II c are my favorite, they too are built like crap, and you will break them, however they are super light weight and tiny wonderful little phones, if only they were made with metal and not plastic,, the sound coming from optical reciever is crystal clear and they get plenty loud, the lack some bass, and i prefer bass, but with their light weight cupped design really wins me over, except as i beforementioned how cheap they are built, i broke mine and fixed it myself,, the joints are made of cheap plastic and tend to snap, i still prefer these over most wireless cans i have tried
----having liked the 800c so much and broke them, i figured i would try the pioneer 3000c, well that was a huge mistake, i dont know where they get off charging 500 dollars for that piece of crap, at least with the 800c you get a very solid reciever with headphone line out. not so with the 3000c , but yes with the 2000c,, the 2000c were IR and the #000c RF, they are both the same make and model of can, the only plus of the 2000,3000c recievers is that they have optical toslink passthrough whereas the 800c cII do not.
-----note many people have complained about the weak amp section of the 2000c an have even wanted the 800 c reciever as it is more powerful, even thought the 2000c has a 1/4 headphone jack out and optical passthrough, while the 800c only has a 1/8 jack and no passthrough,,,, i was very taken with the fact the the older 2000c IR system reciever had the 1/4 jack and the passthrough, but ive read its very weak, however you could very well use it as a pre amp dolby digital reciever as i do with my 800c station from time to time, and the plus is that if you get a special 1/4 to rca y cable, the sound will probably better than what im getting running a monster y cable from my pioneer 800c reciever and into my head amp for my lined cans. another plus for doing that in my case is that my headamp dosent except the dolby 5.1 surround sound system, so i just switch to its analog input and my 800c reciever can send the surround sound ssignal via its headphone output jack.
-------more importantly with the 3000 and the 2000c actual headphones is that the volume control on them is the most stupid terrible piece of garbage that actually score lower than the sony mdr design,, it is another WoW this is stupid,,, just imagine ahaving your cans at a high volume and your ears start to hurt, so quick you reach to the side for the volume control, adn instead of a nice fast easy scroll whell like on the sony's, instead there is a volume knob which you hold in the up or down direction and it slowly and i underscore slowly because it was a snail, slowly turned the volume down and left my ear durm hurting and me seriously pissed off, that is a fatal flaw for the 2000 3000c, well at least for the 3000c, i havent tried it on the 2000 but they should be the exact same phones just different RF vs IR signals,, i actually prefer IR for Wireless as it is much quieter.
---noise isolation,, wireless is notoious for having crappy noise isolation, at least in my experience,, the sony's provided close to 0 isolation as well as the 3000c pioneers,, the 800c actually provided a little isolation, and the way they cup around your ear helps sound benefit, whearas the 3000c pads rest on the ear and are not only uncomfortable but leak out sound everywhere and proovide 0 noise isolation,,,,last ill just say that the sony earpads arent nearly big enough and leave your ear restin on the inside up against the inner pad and is uncomfortable for long use, no t to mention heavy as heck...... i have voewd to neve ruse sony phones ever again, but their IR phones look a little enticing, but sadly i heard one of their top ir models didnt get loud enough, that is so very typical of sony to do some stupid ***** like that, sony will make the most stupid flaws, almost on purpose it seams, becaus enoone in thieir right mind would design a product like they do sometimes,,

-----If i were to ever purchase another pair i would definitley try those akg's but they are 1000 bucks screw that, cuz all wireless sucks, but at the same time everyone should at least own one pair,,,, i will probably end up buying a replacement can for my 800c , but ill go with the japanes model 800IIc, only difference is that it has a push button power not a switch.

havent tried the beyer dynamics, i have tried the jabra blutooth adapter which big surprise blu ttoh sound even worse than 2.4, again i stresss dont buy any of sony cheapper wirelss cans,, i would stay away from any of their cans which have in particular a single plastic headstrap as it will piss you off so much and be so loose and so cheap arrghh , once again big surprise sony,,
make sure you get one with a metal strap or at least the headstaps with the two slim bars going across similar to what the 800c look like but get better quality than that,,,,,,, i think i may even buy the 800c to somoene for christmas but it sucks cause i know in the end that he will break it as i did and most everyone else

-----if anyone has tried the akg, please let me know if they are anything special. or ay other wirelss cans for that matter ir rf ...
--is there anything better out there by now i mean come one ITS 2010 FOR PETE SAKE

hope this helps

Tally Ho!

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #19 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolph Duke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Pioneer and they are insane.
They are big and look silly- but you will find yourself
taking them off to check that the room speakers are tuned down.
I love letting other people try these- the response is usually- WOW!

which model did you have, i feel you may be exagerating heavily?
-- i do like the 800c but not the 3000c

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #21 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by CloneX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Panasonic RP-WF6000's and really like them. I use them mainly when watching concert videos and find the sound to be very good for music. On movies they do a creditable job of providing surround sound. Wireless range is excellent and I have experienced no interference from other wireless devices. There is a small amount of detectable hiss when the soundtrack is silent but it isn't noticeable generally.

A headphone not on your list that you might want to consider is the Amphony Model 2500:
5.8 GHz Digital Wireless Headphones, Model 2500
I haven't tried them but I have their Model 1500 wireless audio transmitter and it works very well. The audio is transmitted uncompressed unlike quite a few other wireless audio systems.

Hope this helps you in your search...

dont those panasonics get fatguing with long use, 380 grams ouch my sony 6000 i think are around 360 grams with battery and they are way way too heavy
--how does the panasonic 6000 compare to the older 5500, i looked and those are an astonishing 255 grams, perfect and they have toslink optical outs, perfect,, its a 40mm vs 50 mm driver situation,
---this thread has got me lookin at new wireless dang itt,,--
--- i did note and appreciate the new sony 7100 phones are 50mm drivers and weigh only 300 grams, That is pretty boss, but there current sony 6000 suck so hard, i vowed to never buy sony wireless again, if someone can prove that the strap isnt loose and that they dont fall off and that your ears dont rest on the inner pads, i would try them,,
---note i looked a the rf 5000 sony new model and it looks exactly to a t of the mdr 6000 crap model that i have only its side are painted white,, what a bunch of sneaky fr's. oh sony will you ever change.........
------my best advice is go lightweight and try to get the best noise isolation and good build.

Tally Ho!

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #22 of 88
Noise isolation is irrelevant for me, in fact more open headphones lend themselves to better sound quality normally anyway.
I do heed your points of making sure the build quality is decent/solid & that the chosen headphone rests nicely on or around your ears.

As far as I can tell the AKG is pretty much extinct...
There may be a few small retailers around that have some in stock but I can't be bothered searching.

I'm hoping that the Pioneer, Senn, & Sony models I listed are locally available so I can at least try them out.
I may try the Panasonic if I can be bothered, but they seem like much older models, judging by the age of reviews on the net.

Whichever comes out on top I will then compare it to the DWL-5000 & Hearo999.
"If" I can find anyone who can help me out there....

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #23 of 88
I don't get how modern RF systems can be such a regression sound-wise.
There's no technical basis for it assuming an end-user understands wifi and how to mitigate interference.
The IR = better argument is moot if one knows what they're doing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which model did you have, i feel you may be exagerating heavily?
-- i do like the 800c but not the 3000c

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #24 of 88
Quote:

dont those panasonics get fatguing with long use, 380 grams ouch my sony 6000 i think are around 360 grams with battery and they are way way too heavy
--how does the panasonic 6000 compare to the older 5500, i looked and those are an astonishing 255 grams, perfect and they have toslink optical outs, perfect,, its a 40mm vs 50 mm driver situation,
Tally Ho!

The RP-WF6000's are on the heavy side but I find them comfortable. Granted I only use them 1 to 2 hours at a stretch (a single movie or concert) and only a couple times a month. For general all-day use I have much lighter wired 'phones.

I haven't tried the 5500's so I have no comparison.

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #25 of 88
Well none of my finalist make/models are available in Australia except for the RS170/180.
So physically comparing any of them gets thrown out the proverbial freakin window!!
Why are we such a consumer tech backwater?!? Grrr......

That means I can only rely on reviews & comparative reviews from the net.
As you can see in my finalist list above, they're far & few between...
angry_face.gif

I'll keep looking a little longer, but everyone please share your experiences with the models in my list!

Thanks again.

Quote:

I'm hoping that the Pioneer, Senn, & Sony models I listed are locally available so I can at least try them out.
I may try the Panasonic if I can be bothered, but they seem like much older models, judging by the age of reviews on the net.

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #26 of 88
Quote:

I don't get how modern RF systems can be such a regression sound-wise.
There's no technical basis for it assuming an end-user understands wifi and how to mitigate interference.
The IR = better argument is moot if one knows what they're doing...

not if you live in an apartment complex, m2.4 wirekess is way better than the old style i had with my sony rfk model(terrible), i could actually here all my neighbors phonee calls, super annoying,\

oh yea i checked and my sony mdr600 are 285 grams i think and i find them really heavy, i noticed that alot of medls wigh even more, 260 i think is too much, the good thing is that in the near future battery power will decrease adn lighter wireless phones will be available ass a result, or maybe the tech is already here and these companies are cheap bastards, most wireless cans are cheap

ir is indeed more quiet imo, regardless if you live in apartemnts or not, it is less succepetable to interference from your own equipment like blutooth devices and microwave, but strangely has interference with plazma

but hey i have ir and rf, when im in front of my tv i use dir 800c and when im cooking working out or in the other room i use the mdr 6000( which i had too mod the headstrap as it was too dangb loose) but sounds good with more bass than other wrieless cans ive tried.

i mainly just use the 800c when im eating or when i multi taskingg and dont want to be bothered with chord, and i also use its 1/8 heaadphone outjack when i wi dont want to unplug mylined cans from my head amp, or whe i want to use the dolby headphone on some iem's. the amp out put is plenty loud, but mediocre if compared to a dedicated headphone amp,

ive told people that the 800c system is worth buying just for the bass station reciever, and i still say that, it is very solid and mcuh better built the the cans
i only wish it had toslink pass thru,, i still cannot find another bradn which offer the dolby headphone, which i actually really love, i do wish it had a remote,, the 2000c ir system has a remote!! i dont think the 3000c does if i can remmeber correctly, also it has a 1/4 head jack output which i would much rather have as i defthink the sound quality woul dbe better for lined cans and iems , even having to use adapter for the iem obviously.
i esepeceiall love dolby headphone switches for live news and or talk radio, it sound really good, for music no, for movies sometimes, but if i listen to music or watch an action film i always use my denon 7000.

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #27 of 88
Quote:

Noise isolation is irrelevant for me, in fact more open headphones lend themselves to better sound quality normally anyway.
I do heed your points of making sure the build quality is decent/solid & that the chosen headphone rests nicely on or around your ears.

As far as I can tell the AKG is pretty much extinct...
There may be a few small retailers around that have some in stock but I can't be bothered searching.

i think the dwl o raudio technica is the only other wireless phone i could find that had the dolby headphne 1,2,3 options but for a 1k, you could get some really awesome lined cans that would blow those away!!!!!
why not get some editions 8's or some denon 7000?

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #28 of 88
Have you tried the latest Senn. RS160 which apparently has decent hi-def stereo, but also does positional/multi-channel audio? Not Dolby Headphones it seems, but something similar.

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #29 of 88
Quote:

Well none of my finalist make/models are available in Australia except for the RS170/180.
So physically comparing any of them gets thrown out the proverbial freakin window!!
Why are we such a consumer tech backwater?!? Grrr......

That means I can only rely on reviews & comparative reviews from the net.
As you can see in my finalist list above, they're far & few between...
angry_face.gif

I'll keep looking a little longer, but everyone please share your experiences with the models in my list!

Thanks again.

you should try out some sennheiser and let mo know how they sound,
i heard bad review once of their 130 model or 140 maybe i cant remeber for certain, but there more expensive models look like they may fair far better
try em out and return em if you dont like other wise i would try the Panasonic 5500, then i try the 800c, but the panasonic 6000 looks like it may soudn best but at that wight i would pass, at further glance the sony 7000 headstrap looks flimsy like my previous sony,,, the best deal would be the sony mdr6000, you can get them really cheap right now and they sound great but man like ive said the are designed like crap, but that dosent mean they will break, they are stury and will not break like the pioneeer 800c, i still prefer the whole pacakge of the 800 c although the sound on the sony is =>, the sony def have more bass and over all warmth, while the pansonic prove ultra clarity and much better isolation

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #30 of 88
What, where did you see that it supports this?!
If you saw my earlier posts everything I read suggests it's quite limited with its dolby features.

This is exciting news, please be right!
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm pretty sure I could get these for a lot cheaper than $1k as I have contacts in Japan :wink:

Quote:

i think the dwl o raudio technica is the only other wireless phone i could find that had the dolby headphne 1,2,3 options but for a 1k, you could get some really awesome lined cans that would blow those away!!!!!
why not get some editions 8's or some denon 7000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back