CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 24, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #19,906 of 31,833
Now thinking of going for the Blon BL-03, having read various reviews as well as the mentions here in the last couple of pages. The only thing which concerns me is that the nozzles are reputedly short, which could be a problem for me unless I can get the right tips to deal with the situation. I had problems with the Akamates ANC earphones I mentioned not being able to get a seal, and actually falling out of my ears, and the nozzles look quite short on them. I now use a pair of wide Inairs foam tips, which work well enough. I'm not sure quite what the problem is with the shape of my ear canals - are they wide, or do I just need long tips to make sure the seal is deep enough? Anyway, I would hope that I could resolve this problem, if indeed it is a problem, with the right tips for the Blons. Would people recommend the much-mentioned Starline tips for them (in which case, has anyone got an Aliexpress link for them, as 'Starline' doesn't seem to be mentioned)?
Starlines is the nickname that have been given to the standard silicone tips, that come with KZ IEMs; they're nothing special, if they fit your ear canals great. For me, the large is too small for my left ear and they walk themselves out.

Here's a link to what I did, to get the "Goldilocks" fit, for my Blon BL-03
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...reference-list.805930/page-1318#post-15189237

Sep 24, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #19,908 of 31,833
Sep 24, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #19,910 of 31,833
Just trying to keep the dude from messing around with all this piddily stuff that 99% of the world don't want to mess with. It would be great if you could actually go somewhere and try before you buy, but you cant in most places. It would be great if Blon 03 fits stock, but for most people it doesn't. After buying a new cable some spacers and a slew of tips trying to get a correct fit, he has spent over $50.Fine for us here as we all are silly addicted and have many multiples or iems, cables and tips, but maybe not for a guy just wanting just one. It is so hard to rec stuff when everybodys ears are totally different in size and dimension. Tough.

Hopefully though he will get there and enjoy his music though. :)

Anybody listen to Classical and have insight on the Final Audio E3000? $54. No way it doesn't fit everybody perfectly. Flat neutralish signature?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #19,915 of 31,833
But isn't the cable useless? I see reviews that say you MUST replace the cable and very likely the ear tips...

Depending on your ears, it is not uncommon to need to try different tips with many iems. As for the cable, I am happily using the stock cable. The ear hooks shape nicely around my ears without adding unwanted bulk or weight. The angle of the connector also suits my ear shape.

The cable isn't completely useless at all. It works fine but depending on your fit to your ears (how it seats in your ear), the angled adapter where it attaches to the shell may get in the way or cause them to pop out of your ear prematurely. Some people have had issues. Others haven't.

I have had cables that will not sit properly over or behind my ear. I have had connectors that, as you mentioned, do not sit right... causing the iem to pull out or not get a good seal. This one for the Blon is perfect for my fairly average ears. I wonder if some people just think it does not look fancy enough. Personally, I think it suits the overall look.

The only thing which concerns me is that the nozzles are reputedly short, which could be a problem for me unless I can get the right tips to deal with the situation

I know that many people have been saying that the nozzle is too short but I find it to be the length that is commonly use with that type of shell. The inner surface of the shell is meant to be nestled tightly against your concha... meaning that it should not just be sticking out of your ear held in place by the tip. This is where I use a tip that seats nicely in the opening of the ear canal... not inserted deeply. So, the tip needs to be wide enough, and firm, yet at the same time soft and comfy. For me this would not be foams but a nice silicone.

Sep 24, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #19,916 of 31,833
Anybody listen to Classical and have insight on the Final Audio E3000? $54. No way it doesn't fit everybody perfectly. Flat neutralish signature?
I've tried. It is neutralish, but surprisingly bass-enhanced for such tiny drivers, not much highs present though.
I bought it as a "night sleeper", works for this purpose well (fits easily inside my ear) other than the fixed cables (which I must add scarily thin). E3000 should fit everyone I would think, just nothing special in sound for me.
Some similar form factor IEMs with "graphene" drivers which I bought under the name of i-Haper for ca. $12 impressed me much more.

BTW E3000 w/o mic is ca. US $45 even on Amazon Canada!

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #19,917 of 31,833
This hobby allows for customization of modular components to create a perfect experience for each individual. It’s odd that people give the BLONs the bad rap of being worthless dumpster fires without modding, and then cheerfully change everything about say the T800s while singing its praises. The question then is how much purchasing and time will be necessary to find your sweet spot on any given earphone. Few are perfect right out of the box, because makers usually spend time on the tech, not the tether.

Example: The MH755 cable is literally useless. Last night I learned to solder.

The BL-03 cable is useful, though less than ideal. For 8 bucks more and your favorite tips, you just got an IEM worth many times the cost. Do you have to? No, though reasonable minds can disagree.

I always swap out tips. Some never do and love stock. Find your go to tip then throw it on everything, or most things.

Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good... the quest for perfection will send you down the rabbit hole many of us have enjoyed falling into.

Totally agree.

No one bats an eye when they tip roll or change out the cable on KZs, TRNs, CCAs, and 95% of ChiFi.

Out of 100+ earphones, I can probably count on 1 hand the number of IEMs I actually kept the stock cable AND stock tips on. I’m not whining about it.

But for some reason everyone seems to be going bat-chit crazy on the Blon BL-03 because it can benefit from an upgrade to the tips or cable.

Those are ridiculously easy upgrades to make. Does it even matter in the grand scheme of things?! I don’t understand why this has become such a big deal?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #19,918 of 31,833
Most iems need a lot of tip rolling till I'm happy, some just work and I do appreciate that

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #19,919 of 31,833
To clarify on the blon cables, some of us thought that the sharp curve and the strong springiness of the hook exacerbated the fit issues. You can fix this to a large degree with a hair-dryer, a heat gun or a cup of boiled water. The fit of tips can be addressed by cutting strips from the bores of the second bag of paper thin tips (useless) that are included with the blon. Fix for both issues, not a dime extra :) I still think that the bass is a bit too much and even a single cello sounded like it had to blow its nose.

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #19,920 of 31,833
To clarify on the blon cables, some of us thought that the sharp curve and the strong springiness of the hook exacerbated the fit issues. You can fix this to a large degree with a hair-dryer, a heat gun or a cup of boiled water. The fit of tips can be addressed by cutting strips from the bores of the second bag of paper thin tips (useless) that are included with the blon. Fix for both issues, not a dime extra :) I still think that the bass is a bit too much and even a single cello sounded like it had to blow its nose.

Good "tips". As for the way you are describing the cello, it is possible that you have not yet found quite the right tips for it. No one has mentioned sources ... or I have missed it if they have. I wonder if these do better with something other than a phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back