CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 15, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #16,846 of 31,833
The anti-hype train?

Well, at least, with IEM, and audio gear, I KNOW where I spent this money, there physical proof of my impulsive buy

....while there none left of it when my money is spent on beers.

OH. And yeah, new comers in my iem family is BRAINWAVZ KOEL AND BQEYZ BQ3.

Both are quite good, and I think I prefer KOEL to B200...wich is strange. Anyway, need more listen.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #16,847 of 31,833
The anti-hype train?

QUOTE]

It always becomes "cool" to bash hyped products after a while. Gets tiresome (from both sides) much like Brexit here in the UK (leavers Vs remainers)!!

You prefer the **** to the T2? I see crinacle just got the **** two days ago and didn't like it, and in fact he heard the bass as overwhelming rather than neutral.

I prefer the **** to the T2 also. I definitely wouldn't describe the bass as overwhelming, in fact most people initially described them as bass light.

There's always the possibility they've adjusted the tuning/components..

With regards to crinacle's comments, he's used to much higher end gear and to think a $25 iem is going to play anywhere near even his C rated iems is a stretch.

They're okay for audiophile peasants like me though!

2w3bbe.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #16,848 of 31,833
It always becomes "cool" to bash hyped products after a while. Gets tiresome (from both sides) much like Brexit here in the UK (leavers Vs remainers)!!

I prefer the **** to the T2 also. I definitely wouldn't describe the bass as overwhelming, in fact most people initially described them as bass light.

will post my impressions on **** when they're arrived. got T2 too here. but now im pessimistic since crin said its a crap, i feel like sucked and trapped into hyperbole hype hole. Crin's impression usually quite in line with the way i hear them too. maybe its not overwhelming bass seeing from the graph, i dont know why a lot people say its neutral.

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #16,849 of 31,833
will post my impressions on **** when they're arrived. got T2 too here. but now im pessimistic since crin said its a crap, i feel like sucked and trapped into hyperbole hype hole. Crin's impression usually quite in line with the way i hear them too. maybe its not overwhelming bass seeing from the graph, i dont know why a lot people say its neutral.

always trust your own judgement. just wait till your's arrive and decide for yourself :smile_phones:

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #16,850 of 31,833
With regards to crinacle's comments, he's used to much higher end gear and to think a $25 iem is going to play anywhere near even his C rated iems is a stretch.

He does like most reviewers have some inherent bias and preferences. Almost impossible to eradicate really.

But I would bet that if he were to test a random sample of those he had rated so far completely blind / unsighted and not even touching the earphones with his hands, I'm pretty confident that his opinions and ratings will vary. And most likely with some surprising new conclusions instead.

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #16,851 of 31,833
You prefer the **** to the T2? I see crinacle just got the **** two days ago and didn't like it, and in fact he heard the bass as overwhelming rather than neutral.
I think Crinacle is an exception. If you go to Audio Budget and look at the FR graph you will see a very flat response in the bass and that is how most hear it. I do not have the T2 to compare.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #16,853 of 31,833

They're okay for audiophile peasants like me though!

he prefers even the MH755 to the ****, FYI. And already having the MH755 for a week or so, I can understand why. I prefer it even compared to the CA Lyra II (which is honestly overpriced even at usd$500 and only had the treble going for it). Can't even believe I'm saying it, but it is what it is.

And there are lots of C+ rate IEMs for cheap, like the Final Audio stuff and consequently, the T2.

he bases his rank on sonic quality alone (according to his judgement) and does not take price or even anything else into consideration (he likes DD bass above all else, but all his S-class are all BAs, for example). If you trust his judgement and his tastes lines up with yours, sure, look to his ranking as a guideline. If not, then just accept the fact that his "sonic qualities" criteria is different to yours and look elsewhere for a review.

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #16,856 of 31,833
I have a pair in for review. They're good for $10. Pretty standard V-shaped tuning, agile bass, good build quality, low profile. Slightly grainy treble, channel matching could be better.
10247216.jpg
Ugly as hell! ;S

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #16,857 of 31,833
he prefers even the MH755 to the ****, FYI. And already having the MH755 for a week or so, I can understand why. I prefer it even compared to the CA Lyra II (which is honestly overpriced even at usd$500 and only had the treble going for it). Can't even believe I'm saying it, but it is what it is.

And there are lots of C+ rate IEMs for cheap, like the Final Audio stuff and consequently, the T2.

he bases his rank on sonic quality alone (according to his judgement) and does not take price or even anything else into consideration (he likes DD bass above all else, but all his S-class are all BAs, for example). If you trust his judgement and his tastes lines up with yours, sure, look to his ranking as a guideline. If not, then just accept the fact that his "sonic qualities" criteria is different to yours and look elsewhere for a review.
the reason i no longer use star or numerical ratings is because (a) it's seldom clear whether the rating is absolute (i.e. compared to the whole universe of iems) or relative to a certain price class and (b) the rating may unintentionally devalue a piece which would have considerable appeal to a particular listener for a particular use. ergo, on its own terms my kid's honda civic is an "A" vehicle, in that it's flawlessly assembled and does exactly what it sets out to do, which is to provide modest acceleration, comfort and ergonomics at a reasonable price. compared on purely objective criteria to say, a porsche or a lexus, the same honda might be a C-, which seems sorta arbitrary.

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #16,858 of 31,833
the reason i no longer use star or numerical ratings is because (a) it's seldom clear whether the rating is absolute (i.e. compared to the whole universe of iems) or relative to a certain price class and (b) the rating may unintentionally devalue a piece which would have considerable appeal to a particular listener for a particular use. ergo, on its own terms my kid's honda civic is an "A" vehicle, in that it's flawlessly assembled and does exactly what it sets out to do, which is to provide modest acceleration, comfort and ergonomics at a reasonable price. compared on purely objective criteria to say, a porsche or a lexus, the same honda might be a C-, which seems sorta arbitrary.

that's actually what I meant by "sonic qualities" in relative to crin's ranking. His ranking is purely that, a list of IEMs ranked in tiers based on their "sonic qualities" (criteria on how he judges this can be found in his thread, IIRC). That's why you see stuff like the $1800 Fender Thirteen 6 being ranked E and the $100 GR07 being B- (and apparently still his $100 benchmark).

Its not exactly scientific, quantifying IEM's ranking based on the criteria of one reviewer, but at least he's one I trust (one of few) based on my own experience of testing gears he reviewed (especially the high-end stuff, not enough of those)

head on over to his discord if you're interested in his methodology

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #16,860 of 31,833

I know, I was just being flippant. I have a lot of respect for someone as dedicated as crinacle, and his reviews contribute massively to this community. I wasn't for s minute suggesting he rates things by price.

My point was that he has a higher point of reference as he has experienced really top end gear, giving him a slightly different perspective to someone like me who hasn't, hence he may find flaws in something that sounds great to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back