Best soundstage up to $225
Feb 11, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #31 of 48
If you increase you're budget a bit, why not try Audio-Technica's W1000X?  Or if you're willing to wait a bit you could try Shure's new SRH940.  If the SRH840 is any indication, then the SRH940 should have a very impressive soundstage among other advantages.

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #32 of 48
If I were to pick three, they would the the Fischer Audio FA-003, Beyer DT770/600, and the D2000. I've heard the D2k but I didn't like the recessed mids and slight resonance. Otherwise, they were pretty good. Soundstage wasn't killer but it was pretty decent for a closed headphone.

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #33 of 48
I agree I should look into that fischer audio Fa003.  It seems to have 90% of everything I want.  It's comfy, light, designed for a human head and not a radar dish.  But, I am not a fan of neutral sound.   I have a lot of requirements and I am desperately trying to match them, as this is the first time in about 6 years that I am trying to buy a set of headphones for myself lol, one that will be used hours every day for music enjoyment.  I have been unable to find a set includes a good percentage of all my requirements.  Having reviewed so many sets over the years, I've become so picky and extremely bias towards what I would want in my own set :wink: 

Requirements :

-Bass is not important, but is appreciated, I am not a bass head but it cant LACK bass
-middle ground presentation, not neutral, but not overly colored
-short cord 3.5ft ideal ( willing to cut and resolder a long cord ) 
-no antennae 
-closed back
-full size circumaurial pads
-headband that does not have gaps between your head and the band itself that makes you look like a radar dish.  Sets like this DT150 and sadly the Shure 840 are absolutely out of the question.   I prefer a design like the Phiaton or Denon lineup ( most of them ) that conforms to your head and has no gaps.
-Soundstage that is large, deep and immersive

The FA003 looks really tasty, but i fear i will find myself not enjoying the neutral sound.  If it isn't fun to listen to, I dont think I would be interested but I still want to give it a listen.  The DT770, the D2k, and the Phiaton PS500 are my top picks right now due to having the most of my requirements met.  I feel bad for being so picky, like i said this is the first time I have purchased a set for myself in a very long time haha

thanks for the help so far guys :wink:

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #34 of 48
You would probably find the DT250 a bit dull, given the rest of your requirements.  I understand why you might not be thrilled about the DT150, they are definitely an example of function over form.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #36 of 48
I've never actually looked for a set for myself, I mean "actually shopped for myself"

No closed back set that I have owned or reviewed was capable of producing a vast stage, or at least one of a size I am looking for.   So, I would say no to the amp and the source being the reason why I haven't found anything suitable.  I am really only interested in low impedance sets, as I said I was looking for low profile sets that conform well to your head, and have a short portable style cable.  Whatever set I decide on will be used while moving around, amping and large source is out of the question.  
:)

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #37 of 48
You lost me.

In a nutshell I'm saying you're not hearing all these headphones to there full potential if you're just plugging them into an MP3 player. I understand compromise, for my on-the-go listening I use Pro-fi 5 direct from my Zune and make do. Back when I owned Denon's D2000s I had a solid state Corda headfive where they sounded kinda flat and flabby, and also owned a Singlepower PPX3 SLAM where they really opened up... therefore the amp dictates how they sound... I think they call it transparent sounding. With this in mind I found headphones like the JVC RX700 didn't improve with beefier amps which tells me they're running at their best regardless of the system behind it.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #38 of 48
I am fully aware that amping and source helps.  But, my main focus as I mentioned a few times already was that this set needs to be full size like the phiaton ps500, d2000 or similar in terms of design, but also be easily driven.  :)

95% of all my reviews used an MKii as the primary amp, and my home desktop as my source until I lost them in a disaster a few months ago, after which I was only able to use the IBasso and the Headsix.  

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #40 of 48
I just hope that everyone in this thread knows that any single open headphone will trump any closed phone in sound stage (and usually SQ too at the same price point).

With that said, its hardly worth trying to find a closed phone with the best sound stage, as most closed phones will have very similar sound stage constraints, you should be looking for a phone that will suit your music preference in terms of frequency response.

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #41 of 48

Quote:

Just wondering, why do you need these to be closed? Please tell me you aren't wearing these things in public...talk about looking like an idiot LOL.  These are about the ugliest headphones I have ever seen.

Would you want to wear open headphones as your portable set?  Take note to the large, bold text area from one of my posts at the top of this very page, lol.

Quote:
I agree I should look into that fischer audio Fa003.  It seems to have 90% of everything I want.  It's comfy, light, designed for a human head and not a radar dish.  But, I am not a fan of neutral sound.   I have a lot of requirements and I am desperately trying to match them, as this is the first time in about 6 years that I am trying to buy a set of headphones for myself lol, one that will be used hours every day for music enjoyment.  I have been unable to find a set includes a good percentage of all my requirements.  Having reviewed so many sets over the years, I've become so picky and extremely bias towards what I would want in my own set :wink: 

Requirements :

-Bass is not important, but is appreciated, I am not a bass head but it cant LACK bass
-middle ground presentation, not neutral, but not overly colored
-short cord 3.5ft ideal ( willing to cut and resolder a long cord ) 
-no antennae 
-closed back
-full size circumaurial pads
-headband that does not have gaps between your head and the band itself that makes you look like a radar dish.  Sets like this DT150 and sadly the Shure 840 are absolutely out of the question.   I prefer a design like the Phiaton or Denon lineup ( most of them ) that conforms to your head and has no gaps.
-Soundstage that is large, deep and immersive

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #42 of 48
 The jecklin floats are uglier. and i mob my Open headphones portably all the time... But  Closed headphones with a Big sound stage give me more of a Immersed Kinda Hidden Deep within the Music kinda feel. The Open headphones give me a Nice sound stage but, i understand what this dude it talking about.  Closed with wide sound stage feels like your lost in the music and isolated from everyone.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #43 of 48
So does the ESW9 fulfill your criteria/expectations? They're not circumaural but they're one of the more comfortable supraaural sets I've come across.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #44 of 48
Yes, they do and its something I always knew was true since the first time I heard them.  I am just not a fan of on ear sets, but jeez the EWS9 is so hard to beat in terms of comfort.  Its so smooth and silky, and has the sound I've always looked for.  Not too colored, not neutral.  Bass quality is excellent, not lacking but not overpowering as I am not a bass head and I prefer the balance of all three lows, mids and highs.  The highs surprised me, I haven't heard the 9s in a while and I expected them to have harsher highs but man, my EQ on my clip has the bass and highs completely maxed out and its just lovely.  No sibilance issues what so ever even with maxed out highs, and very little distortion in the bass.

On a final note, I've come to the conclusion no portable full size set exists that will satisfy my wants and needs for a budget under $300 in the closed back world.  I've literally tested 99% of them heh.  I came right back to the Esw9 when it came down to choosing a set to settle down with for myself.  Its one of the perfect sets for my tastes and I couldn't be happier.  Outside of not having circumaurial pads, I have no complaints at all.  It met 99% of all my requirements.  

:D  

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #45 of 48
I guess I should revive this topic, I got the K701 and im not sure if it has a stage that makes me happy.  I was expecting a lot more of it and I really dont want to spend even more on amping just to make them sound their best.  Im having difficulty finding anything with an nice, airy and vast sound stage.  I like them a lot, but I think they are too heavy for my extended listening hours.  

any ideas?  Same budget applies, roughly $225 or trade worthy for the K701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back