Best soundstage up to $225
Feb 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #16 of 48
I've previously owned that as well and wasn't fond of it.  The stage is big, but the overall presentation was not to my liking.  Also, I should have specified that I wanted something lower profile like the phiaton ps500 or the denon d2000, something full size circumaurial, but relatively small in terms of the headband, conforming so to speak.  

The ps500 and d2000 both conform well to your head and dont leave large gaps on the side of your head.  The ad900 is too big to move around with :[

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #17 of 48
Klipsch Image ONE has wide soundstage but i think with AMPs (fullsize or portable) help soundstage improve more.

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #18 of 48
I have the LA2000s and they are truly amazing headphones...although I paid $600 for a used pair. The Markl Mod along with the cups, cables and JMoney pads makes a WORLD of difference to the SQ.
Besides the slightly uncontrolled bass and not so great sound seperation, the stock D2000 is a great headphone.

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #19 of 48
I own the DT770/600 ohm. They are sublime! You'll need a decent sound card in your PC or a seperate amp to drive them, but the staging is quite nice. Have you owned them previously? If not you should go audition them somewhere soon.

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #20 of 48
I've never owned or listened to the DT770 600 ohm, I have heard the 80 ohm a long time ago and I cant remember what it sounds like hehe.  The DT770 was on my possibilities list that include the D2000 and the phiaton ps500

its a tough choice heh, thank you guys for the support so far.  

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #21 of 48
The D770 is an extremely bassy phone, even more so than the Denons. The mids and highs seemed muddled to me and I got fatigued after a while. You definitely need to mod them unless you prefer a can with a lot of bass

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #22 of 48
Instead of the DT770, look into the DT150.  They have an astonishing soundstage for closed headphones, and they have really meaty bass.  They are a bit bulky and uncomfortable, if that's one of your main concerns, but I never found them that uncomfortable, and they sound awesome.

The other super-soundstage closed cans were the German Maestro GMP 450 Pro.  Hardly any bass, not great isolation, but truly incredible comfort and an uncommonly wide soundstage.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #23 of 48
Figure id also chime in about the D2000's I won a pair on ebay and remember being a bit nervous on whether i would like them or not. I was very happy with my M50's and was wondering if the D2000's would live up to the m50's.

Boy was i wrong with my worries. I received them and loved them instantly, more bass in quality and quantity than the m50 could dream of producing.

Then i started looking into modding them. Picked up some D7000 cups from MarkL and preformed the MarkL mod myself, its not that hard to do, just time consuming. But well worth it, improved bass control and balanced everything out better.

Then i put on the icing cake and ordered the jmoney pads. If you are interested in a large sound stage, definitely get the Jmoney pads for the denons, the sound stage is so large and enveloping with them. I couldnt be happier, the mods drastically improved the sound, I will never even consider selling these cans!

For fun I switch it up to the m50's to compare the sound, and they cant even touch the modded D2000's, i end up switching back to the denons within 30sec lol.

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #25 of 48
Fischer Audio FA-003s have great soundstage and sound really open

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #26 of 48

Quote:
Figure id also chime in about the D2000's I won a pair on ebay and remember being a bit nervous on whether i would like them or not. I was very happy with my M50's and was wondering if the D2000's would live up to the m50's.

Boy was i wrong with my worries. I received them and loved them instantly, more bass in quality and quantity than the m50 could dream of producing.

Then i started looking into modding them. Picked up some D7000 cups from MarkL and preformed the MarkL mod myself, its not that hard to do, just time consuming. But well worth it, improved bass control and balanced everything out better.

Then i put on the icing cake and ordered the jmoney pads. If you are interested in a large sound stage, definitely get the Jmoney pads for the denons, the sound stage is so large and enveloping with them. I couldnt be happier, the mods drastically improved the sound, I will never even consider selling these cans!

For fun I switch it up to the m50's to compare the sound, and they cant even touch the modded D2000's, i end up switching back to the denons within 30sec lol.

Couldn't have said this better. The J$ Pads make a world of difference to the soundstage.

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #27 of 48
dang this is one of the hardest choices I've ever had to make haha, usually I just buy for the experience but I am finally ready to settle down and stick with one set for a while.  I cant decide :[

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #29 of 48
It is also a discontinued set and one I have never actually heard but always wanted to try out.  I am really having trouble deciding.  Ive got too many grips and I am way too picky hehe.  

Anyone want to loan me a million bucks to develop my own set of headphones?  lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back