Best soundstage up to $225
Feb 7, 2011 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
looking for some suggestions on a set of closed back circumaurials with the best soundstage for the price.  Im looking for vast width height and depth with the best overall stage and immersion possible that is easily driven for the budget.  

am i to look at the D2000 and nothing else lol?

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 48
I was interested in the D2000 also. But the idea of the screw coming loose turned me away. I don't know how wide spread it is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000MVEC0Q/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_3?ie=UTF8&index=3

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 48
During the course of my recent research on Ultrasones I read a lot of praise for their closed models' soundstage.  I have not personally heard them, but I think it would be worth looking into them.  The HFI 780 and Pro 650 have retail prices that would fit within your stated budget.  

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 48
I have owned all the ultrasones and I love the sound, but the comfort is abysmal and makes them unusable.  I have not listened to a Dt770 in years and forgot what they sound like heh, but I know the D2000 is better in the staging, or at least on par

also, I really do not know much about the denon mods, how much do they usually sell for used around head fi?  Anyone have experience with it and know if the stage is significantly improved?  

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 48
I've heard the D2000 right when it first came out, so I have almost no memory of what it sounds like, and yes I have the Harx700 actually

my problem is immersion and stage depth, I've been unable to find anything suitable that is both vast in stage and very comfortable  

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 48

Quote:
I have owned all the ultrasones and I love the sound, but the comfort is abysmal and makes them unusable.  I have not listened to a Dt770 in years and forgot what they sound like heh, but I know the D2000 is better in the staging, or at least on par

also, I really do not know much about the denon mods, how much do they usually sell for used around head fi?  Anyone have experience with it and know if the stage is significantly improved?  

The stock D2000 tend to have rattling problem that could benefit from dampening. The template for the dampening can be found in head-fi itself at http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/352109/markl-mod-made-easy-d2000-possibly-for-d5000-template. It won't solve the soundstage problem, but it will improve the bass. 

To improve the soundstage, it is a simple matter of moving the driver away from the ear. In the case of d2000, the stock pad definitely need to be changed in order to improve it further. JMoney pad is definitely an option to look for. The replacement steps can be found at: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/443275/mini-review-jmoney-replacement-leather-ear-pads-for-denon-d2000-d5000-d7000

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 48
I shouldn't HAVE to mod such an expensive set.  I think I will stick with my D1100s for a while, they seem like the most well rounded cans right now.  

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #13 of 48
How about you get someone to sell you their MDR-R10s at a HUGE discount?
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 48
Now for a serious suggestion.  How about Audio-Technica's A900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back