CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 23, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #31,171 of 31,833
The zero had zero sub-bass

Can't vouch for the Truthear Zero as I haven't tried it, but the HEXA definitely has sub-bass.

Truthear HEXA.jpg

The HEXA doesn't have much mid-bass though, so if you want those thumping bass lines for EDM or hip-hop, the HEXA isn't a good option.

Dec 23, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #31,172 of 31,833
I have some budget IEM but want to learn what is their tuning so that I understand more what is next suitable for my preference.

Tin HIFI T3 plus
Bqeyz topaz
Tanchjim Zero
Final e3000
Bqeyz kc2
Er2se
Er3xr
Rechoo SG01
Tangzu shiminli

Actually your collection is quite nice. Covers a lot of sound signatures. What do you like or dislike about these IEMS you have? Is there any area you want to improve? What music genres do you listen to?

Dec 23, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #31,173 of 31,833
Oh i see, me personally i lean on newer stuff (maybe improvements in time), like in computer, an i7 processor 3 years ago is now comparable to i5 now, i do not know alot about cars also maybe the v6 twin-turbo landcruiser is now comparable to old v8 landcruiser (i like the looks of porsche 911 over the lambo haha)? About the rankings, i think timmy really likes treble so maybe he is biased on good treble/clarity/details and depends on the music he listens. What do you think the ranking in this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...J8G_WX1odnOYBJsBNbVskQVt8/edit#gid=1897980432 (precogvisions ranking from headphones.com)?

About the zetian wu heyday, i think the box is pretty haha and the accesories i really prefer it over my s12pro but i'm happy now with my s12pro unlike my first iem dunu (only lacks bass for me). In tuning i think i prefer neutral with bass boost (i really like balance clarity = bass with decent tonality) and i listen mostly in all kinds of music except metal, maybe i will upgrade if there will be new value hybrid iem under 200-250usd in a few years. Thanks alot for educating us here!
You may find their target curve from audio discourse, where antdroid is one of the reviewers there.

Here is some info about how to read their target curve. You may dig a bit futther following the link on that post too. By the way BGGAR is HBB’s channel name.

I have both SA6 and Anole VX, and it is very very hard to tell by any mean you can value SA6’s treble over Anole VX.

But it could be his other variables, such as music genre(type of road), playing source format (speed limit), DAP (actual driver’s skill), etc etc. If you are only comparing Porche 911 vs Lambo on street with 80km/hour speed limit, yes sure! Maybe Porche could be a winner.

But it is hard to say at serious race tracks with professional racing driver in charge, it is inevitable the Lamborghini is a mile far winner.

The playing source format (speed limit) is very important, I do listen both, for some tracks I can’t find from TIDAL’s Master SQ(there are normal (160kbps/apple music’s AAC level), Hifi(1411kbps/lossless quality), and Master (2304-9216 Kbps, the mastering studio’s original source class), I go youtube music premium or apple music for the streaming, aside from my old CP ripping tracks stored locally. When you A-B test with youtube music/apple music’s lossless/amazon music HD to Master class TIDAL, there is an undeniably huge gap in amount of information that each sound quality has to offer. A different speed limit.

I’m pretty fine with both SA6 and Anole VX on youtube music level (80km/hr), and both performs at good level, you can tell some texturing and layering, and resolutions on both belongs to different class, but when it comes to 9.6Mbps? A mile mile far difference.
So speed limit (playing source format) is a key variable too.)
FDB2021F-3672-4282-BE9D-A2735D3F4373.jpeg

About precog’s rating you may read the post above. His target curve is u12t style pinna gain dip style.

For $200-500 upgrades with balanced tuning, my recommendation is either AFUL Performance 5 or AKG N5005.

I have both noted.

AFUL Performer 5. Disregard silly brand naming, it’s an unfortunate lost in translation.

Before you read any about P5

P5 sound impression

N5005 sound impression

Some voice made me happy by sharing that N5005 impression

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #31,174 of 31,833
You may find their target curve from audio discourse, where antdroid is one of the reviewers there.

Here is some info about how to read their target curve. You may dig a bit futther following the link on that post too. By the way BGGAR is HBB’s channel name.

I have both SA6 and Anole VX, and it is very very hard to tell by any mean you can value SA6’s treble over Anole VX.

But it could be his other variables, such as music genre(type of road), playing source format (speed limit), DAP (actual driver’s skill), etc etc. If you are only comparing Porche 911 vs Lambo on street with 80km/hour speed limit, yes sure! Maybe Porche could be a winner.

But it is hard to say at serious race tracks with professional racing driver in charge, it is inevitable the Lamborghini is a mile far winner.

The playing source format (speed limit) is very important, I do listen both, for some tracks I can’t find from TIDAL’s Master SQ(there are normal (160kbps/apple music’s AAC level), Hifi(1411kbps/lossless quality), and Master (2304-9216 Kbps, the mastering studio’s original source class), I go youtube music premium or apple music for the streaming, aside from my old CP ripping tracks stored locally. When you A-B test with youtube music/apple music’s lossless/amazon music HD to Master class TIDAL, there is an undeniably huge gap in amount of information that each sound quality has to offer. A different speed limit.

I’m pretty fine with both SA6 and Anole VX on youtube music level (80km/hr), and both performs at good level, you can tell some texturing and layering, and resolutions on both belongs to different class, but when it comes to 9.6Mbps? A mile mile far difference.

About precog’s rating you may read the post above. His target curve is u12t style pinna gain dip style.

For $200-500 upgrades with balanced tuning, my recommendation is either AFUL Performance 5 or AKG N5005.

I have both noted.

AFUL Performer 5. Disregard silly brand naming, it’s an unfortunate lost in translation.

P5 sound impression

N5005 sound impression

Thanks, really helpful, btw i find my ugreen (passive) dongle really better than jcally ja3 for my phone (huawei p30pro, s12pro) maybe will avoid cheap dongles now, I tried hiby player 24bit flac file to compare. I will still mostly listen to spotify (really good music discovery and dont want to download music manually) i really wish they could just upgrade to lossless (I share with my sister duo plan and she dont want to move to apple music), for now unless i can try cracked version of tidal.

Decide not to get the aful 5 first without trying planar first and samsung galaxy buds 2 pro is much cheaper in my country (around 100usd cheaper, bought the buds2pro for my cousin recently), maybe i will wait for new release (crinacle project red, sharur collab iem) and buy bangforbuck real endgame. Also the nicehck nx7 mk4 looks like a deal (4BA + 2DD + PZT) not sure if it means anything. Thanks again!

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #31,175 of 31,833
Thanks, really helpful, btw i find my ugreen (passive) dongle really better than jcally ja3 for my phone (huawei p30pro, s12pro) maybe will avoid cheap dongles now, I tried hiby player 24bit flac file to compare. I will still mostly listen to spotify (really good music discovery and dont want to download music manually) i really wish they could just upgrade to lossless (I share with my sister duo plan and she dont want to move to apple music), for now unless i can try cracked version of tidal.

Decide not to get the aful 5 first without trying planar first and samsung galaxy buds 2 pro is much cheaper in my country (around 100usd cheaper, bought the buds2pro for my cousin recently), maybe i will wait for new release (crinacle project red, sharur collab iem) and buy bangforbuck real endgame. Also the nicehck nx7 mk4 looks like a deal (4BA + 2DD + PZT) not sure if it means anything. Thanks again!
More driver don't mean anything, maybe worse! just my 2 cent

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #31,176 of 31,833
More driver don't mean anything, maybe worse! just my 2 cent
If only it comes with master class active passive crossover, capacitors, acoustic wave guide tube, and proper ear tips, number of high-end balanced armature does make difference in resolving capabilities as well as image textures/layering, less distortions, mate.

It’s just that those are only available at crazy prices at this moment. Probably lowest you can find is GS Audio ST10 for $430 (10BA), but it’s crossover is somehow low-end, let aside terrible tuning that’s a waste of VisionEars flagship copied BA config. At least at hi-res quality, I can tell that ST10’s backbone is “scary” good. A dragon’s tail of Anole VX is present.

Aside from that, a small friend circle of Aur Audio’s Neon Pro ($630) looks like a budget offer for TOTL hypercar class performance. Besides that I have no inputs about regardless of how much BAs you could jam into a shell, it doesn’t make huge improvements or maybe even a degradation in the performance for sub$500 segment

For GS Audio, don’t get GT12(12BA) it a mixture of belsing /sonion /knowles, I have both ST10 and GT12, although GT12 has got somehow agreeable tuning, the performance of GT12 is just average or even sub par considering its price offer at today’s market.

I do hope Truthear, to make a breakthrough. Making a hypercar at the price of general sports car. 10BA or 12BA high-end BA, properly designed active and passive crossover, decent capacitor for super tweeter to lower harmonic distortions, at price range of $200-300.

That will be revolutionary.

It’s not impossible, they’ve done it with HEXA.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #31,177 of 31,833
If only it comes with master class active passive crossover, capacitors, acoustic wave guide tube, and proper ear tips, number of high-end balanced armature does make difference in resolving capabilities as well as image textures/layering, less distortions, mate.

It’s just that those are only available at crazy prices at this moment. Probably lowest you can find is GS Audio ST10 for $430 (10BA), but it’s crossover is somehow low-end, let aside terrible tuning that’s a waste of VisionEars flagship copied BA config. At least at hi-res quality, I can tell that ST10’s backbone is “scary” good. A dragon’s tail of Anole VX is present.

Aside from that, a small friend circle of Aur Audio’s Neon Pro ($630) looks like a budget offer for TOTL hypercar class performance. Besides that I have no inputs about regardless of how much BAs you could jam into a shell, it doesn’t make huge improvements or maybe even a degradation in the performance for sub$500 segment

For GS Audio, don’t get GT12(12BA) it a mixture of belsing /sonion /knowles, I have both ST10 and GT12, although GT12 has got somehow agreeable tuning, the performance of GT12 is just average or even sub par considering its price offer at today’s market.

I do hope Truthear, to make a breakthrough. Making a hypercar at the price of general sports car. 10BA or 12BA high-end BA, properly designed active and passive crossover, decent capacitor for super tweeter to lower harmonic distortions, at price range of $200-300.

That will be revolutionary.

It’s not impossible, they’ve done it with HEXA.
I honestly dont know what the purpose of the parts are, maybe i still need to do more research but thanks again, really better here than on reddit by far!

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #31,178 of 31,833

From my with NiceHCK IEM…they are the “jam whatever together in a shell” type…their cables are good.

If your main environmental is spotify, of course I have the account, I’d say SQ is indifferent with Apple Music’s standard AAC, pretty much all you need and those codes has high gain and compressors to make up tonal presentations pretty vivid. For a Noise Cancelling TWS, yea galaxy buds pro, sounds like good choice.

If you can a discounted AKG N400, around $50-100USD(MRSP was around $150-200USD) , I’m pretty sure that’s as good as Galaxy Buds Pro. AKG /Harman is M&A’d by Samsung years ago.

As Samsung is pulling the plug of N400, there maybe a wagon sale for third Party distributors.

For Planar, Tangzu Zetian Wu, is a good match to spotify, it’s the only planar which doesn’t make “metallic” planar weakness, yet providing realistic and fast transient response with energy of dynamic driver. For Spotify I believe Wu is a good choice.
Here is Wu’s full coverage:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tangzu-audio-zetian-wu.25979/review/29673/

Planar has speed x power.

SPEEED
56A02693-2A8D-47AC-B719-A3A1DF60EFEE.gif

X

POWERRR
F8C01CF3-E2EF-4787-B3C5-7ED4ADEEC3D8.gif

And lastly a quick history of what happened to portable audio industry.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...dac-amp-dongles-list-etc.805930/post-17249277

(Some info of japanese brand’s fall isn’t 100% accurate, but you get the point)

Good luck👍

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #31,179 of 31,833
I honestly dont know what the purpose of the parts are, maybe i still need to do more research but thanks again, really better here than on reddit by far!
Haha hope you enjoyed, native-audiophile rabbit hole of head-fi!

Whenever I try to data mining for audio gadgets, and reached reddit, the information over there is very pale… maybe 1 or 2 experts, but vast majority is just consumer observers throwing whatever comments.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #31,180 of 31,833
From my with NiceHCK IEM…they are the “jam whatever together in a shell” type…their cables are good.

If your main environmental is spotify, of course I have the account, I’d say SQ is indifferent with Apple Music’s standard AAC, pretty much all you need and those codes has high gain and compressors to make up tonal presentations pretty vivid. For a Noise Cancelling TWS, yea galaxy buds pro, sounds like good choice.

If you can a discounted AKG N400, around $50-100USD(MRSP was around $150-200USD) , I’m pretty sure that’s as good as Galaxy Buds Pro. AKG /Harman is M&A’d by Samsung years ago.

As Samsung is pulling the plug of N400, there maybe a wagon sale for third Party distributors.

For Planar, Tangzu Zetian Wu, is a good match to spotify, it’s the only planar which doesn’t make “metallic” planar weakness, yet providing realistic and fast transient response with energy of dynamic driver. For Spotify I believe Wu is a good choice.
Here is Wu’s full coverage:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tangzu-audio-zetian-wu.25979/review/29673/

And lastly a quick history of what happened to portable audio industry.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...dac-amp-dongles-list-etc.805930/post-17249277

(Some info of japanese brand’s fall isn’t 100% accurate, but you get the point)

Good luck👍
Can you recommend the nicehck n7 mk4? is that better than olina se or it can compete on zetian wu, s12pro? Oh apple music max at aac 256 on desktops (i use windows 11)?, did not like anc on the buds2pro, i tried it and my cousin also didnt like it not sure if anc can be adjusted, it is not comfortable for us (i didnt try it long enough and without music). akg n400 is around 77usd here, i will keep that in mind if im on a market for tws, or maybe an tws adapter like hiby wu1 so i can get better SQ or something like fiio btr3k?

I decided to get the s12pro because of the 14.8 planar driver and listen for myself what 'metallic' timbre sounds like also dont know what would i pick unless i tried them both. This help me made my decision on planars: (his preference is the s12pro and p1max), i will try to recommend the zetian wu if i can sway my brother / cousins in the iems so i can try it for myself also, thanks!

Haha hope you enjoyed, native-audiophile rabbit hole of head-fi!

Whenever I try to data mining for audio gadgets, and reached reddit, the information over there is very pale… maybe 1 or 2 experts, but vast majority is just consumer observers throwing whatever comments.

Yup, i really do because i cant ask these questions on reddit! Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-23 at 21-58-12 Review LETSHUOER S12 Pro – PLANARy Session Headphonesty.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-23 at 21-58-12 Review LETSHUOER S12 Pro – PLANARy Session Headphonesty.png
    195.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 00-32-28 Planar In Ear Monitor Comparison - Feat 7hz LETSHUOER RAPTGO...png
    Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 00-32-28 Planar In Ear Monitor Comparison - Feat 7hz LETSHUOER RAPTGO...png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #31,181 of 31,833
Can you recommend the nicehck n7 mk4? is that better than olina se or it can compete on zetian wu, s12pro? Oh apple music max at aac 256 on desktops (i use windows 11)?, did not like anc on the buds2pro, i tried it and my cousin also didnt like it not sure if anc can be adjusted, it is not comfortable for us (i didnt try it long enough and without music). akg n400 is around 77usd here, i will keep that in mind if im on a market for tws, or maybe an tws adapter like hiby wu1 so i can get better SQ or something like fiio btr3k?

I decided to get the s12pro because of the 14.8 planar driver and listen for myself what 'metallic' timbre sounds like also dont know what would i pick unless i tried them both. This help me made my decision on planars: (his preference is the s12pro and p1max), i will try to recommend the zetian wu if i can sway my brother / cousins in the iems so i can try it for myself also, thanks!

Taste is subjective but I personally think the NiceHCK NX7 MK4 sounds excellent and can play in the same league as the ones you mentioned. It could use a larger sound stage but the tune is really good. At least to my ear.

Dec 23, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #31,182 of 31,833

I haven’t try MK4 because of terrible disappointment from their other models.

Yea S12Pro sounds like a plan too. It’s colorless if not a bit too dry. If you liked it, like I did with Timeless, that’s a deal. If you feel the metallic tonality is not ringing your bell, then Wu sits on the other side of the table.

Good luck!

Dec 23, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #31,183 of 31,833
Taste is subjective but I personally think the NiceHCK NX7 MK4 sounds excellent and can play in the same league as the ones you mentioned. It could use a larger sound stage but the tune is really good. At least to my ear.
Oh thanks! i am waiting for more reviews on youtube and want to see where would they rank it (preferably gizaudio or nymz or precog). I will keep in mind that also.

I haven’t try MK4 because of terrible disappointment from their other models.

Yea S12Pro sounds like a plan too. It’s colorless if not a bit too dry. If you liked it, like I did with Timeless, that’s a deal. If you feel the metallic tonality is not ringing your bell, then Wu sits on the other side of the table.

Good luck!
Thanks alot!

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #31,185 of 31,833

I have both noted.

P5 sound impression

N5005 sound impression

I forgot to mention Antdroid got a nice looking ranking visualization

https://www.audiodiscourse.com/p/antdroid-iem-ranking-list.html?m=1

Hope he could have some updates there.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back