CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 23, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #31,186 of 31,834
Also the nicehck nx7 mk4 looks like a deal (4BA + 2DD + PZT) not sure if it means anything. Thanks again!

The NiceHCK NX7 MK4 is a tunable tribrid that can give 3 potential sound signatures:
NiceHCK NX7 MK4.jpg

Graphs via IEC 711 coupler (7/8 khz region is a coupler artefact peak)

Essentially, using tuning nozzles, the NX7 MK4 can be tuned to be basshead (black filter), or balanced (gold filter) or treblehead (red filter).

Build and fit is good, accessories are nice.

Technically the NX7 MK4 is very good in imaging, instrument separation and micro-details. Albeit, the soundstage is a weakness on this set (in all 3 directions). But it makes up for weak soundstage with pinpoint imaging. Bass is tight and moderately fast on the gold (balanced) nozzle. Timbre is okay considering it has piezos inside. The red treblehead filter is a bit too intense for me, but maybe trebleheads will like it.

I think for $100 USD, it is quite competitive if you are looking for a technical tunable tribrid. Kind of getting 3 IEMS in 1 purchase since it can be converted via tuning nozzles on the fly.

Dec 23, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #31,187 of 31,834
The NiceHCK NX7 MK4 is a tunable tribrid that can give 3 potential sound signatures:

Graphs via IEC 711 coupler (7/8 khz region is a coupler artefact peak)

Essentially, using tuning nozzles, the NX7 MK4 can be tuned to be basshead (black filter), or balanced (gold filter) or treblehead (red filter).

Build and fit is good, accessories are nice.

Technically the NX7 MK4 is very good in imaging, instrument separation and micro-details. Albeit, the soundstage is a weakness on this set (in all 3 directions). But it makes up for weak soundstage with pinpoint imaging. Bass is tight and moderately fast on the gold (balanced) nozzle. Timbre is okay considering it has piezos inside. The red treblehead filter is a bit too intense for me, but maybe trebleheads will like it.

I think for $100 USD, it is quite competitive if you are looking for a technical tunable tribrid. Kind of getting 3 IEMS in 1 purchase since it can be converted via tuning nozzles on the fly.

That’s an excellent summation of what makes the NX7 MK4 good. It’s one of those sets that punches a class or so above its weight. It has options via nozzles and responds well to tip rolling too. Even the soundstage is presentable if you don’t compare it to home-runs like the OH10. I paid about $91US or so for mine shipped. Killer deal IMO. I’ve been using the gold filter recently but the black sounds great too.

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #31,188 of 31,834
Actually your collection is quite nice. Covers a lot of sound signatures. What do you like or dislike about these IEMS you have? Is there any area you want to improve? What music genres do you listen to?
I'm not really sure of them. I'm all over the place and haven't really give equal listening to them.

love the KC2 for vocal. sounds really nice even at lower volume. I have been using this for longest time and used to their signature.

I also like the topaz vocal although the treble is less exciting compared to KC2. The female vocal don't have that shoutiness that other IEM can have. I'm not sure but I think it sounds somewhat more natural compared to KC2.

The T3 plus I need more listen before I can comment on them. Best fit, ergonomics and isolation though.

E3000 at first I don't like them feels like lacking details but I comes to appreciate them now. They may feels muffled compared to others if I listen at my normal very low volume. Higher volume makes them feels better but usually I don't listen too loud.

SG01 a bit exciting and very easy to drive but when I listen to other IEM they did lack refinements.

Tanchjim zero sounds better using final e type tips.

I look more for iem that balanced male and female vocal so that duet don't sound off. Something natural sounding.

I am not sure what genre I listen to. Maybe folk and singer songwriter stuff the most.

Genre I don't listen to is metal, EDM hip hop.

Some of the artist I listen to now is Leonard Cohen, Johnny Indovina, Johnny Cash, Sivert Hoyem, Nick cave PJ Harvey, Tamino, Katie Melua,Sophoe Zelmani, Suzanne Vega, Joan Baez etc. The list always change but I usually don't like noisy, incoherent music.

Dec 24, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #31,189 of 31,834
I'm not really sure of them. I'm all over the place and haven't really give equal listening to them.

love the KC2 for vocal. sounds really nice even at lower volume. I have been using this for longest time and used to their signature.

I also like the topaz vocal although the treble is less exciting compared to KC2. The female vocal don't have that shoutiness that other IEM can have. I'm not sure but I think it sounds somewhat more natural compared to KC2.

The T3 plus I need more listen before I can comment on them. Best fit, ergonomics and isolation though.

E3000 at first I don't like them feels like lacking details but I comes to appreciate them now. They may feels muffled compared to others if I listen at my normal very low volume. Higher volume makes them feels better but usually I don't listen too loud.

SG01 a bit exciting and very easy to drive but when I listen to other IEM they did lack refinements.

I look more for iem that balanced male and female vocal so that duet don't sound off. Something natural sounding.

I am not sure what genre I listen to. Maybe folk and singer songwriter stuff the most.

Some of the artist I listen to now is Leonard Cohen, Johnny Indovina, Johnny Cash, Sivert Hoyem, Nick cave PJ Harvey, Tamino, Katie Melua,Sophoe Zelmani, Suzanne Vega, Joan Baez etc. The list always change but I usually don't like noisy, incoherent music.
I think the truthear hexa is good choice if you want balance / natural sounding, i would pick that especially if you dont listen to edm or zetian wu for planar i think it will respond to eq well or the nicehck nx7 mk4 to try 3 tunings and really intrigues me. About the artist i think i am young here haha, i find alot of music suggestions kinda old but thats only my opinion. I only have 2 iems but those 3 to me looks good for the price.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #31,190 of 31,834

Try the IKKO OH2, grey version is really cheap now (under $35).
Mid-centric, non-fatiguing and great for vocals. They were good value at $80

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004707936271.html

I've bought two of the OH2 (plus an OH1) from this store, they've been quick and reliable.:L3000:

Dec 24, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #31,191 of 31,834
I think the truthear hexa is good choice if you want balance / natural sounding, i would pick that especially if you dont listen to edm or zetian wu for planar i think it will respond to eq well or the nicehck nx7 mk4 to try 3 tunings and really intrigues me. About the artist i think i am young here haha, i find alot of music suggestions kinda old but thats only my opinion. I only have 2 iems but those 3 to me looks good for the price.
I actually recently learn of those singer since I'm from Asia. Thanks to excellent youtube algorithm introducing me to them lol.
I am a bit scare of planar. I just recently tried the he400se headphone and feels some tinnitus like symptom which I'm not sure if it's related at all. Searching the net there are some people commenting that they experience the same when they start listening to planar headphone too. Only planar headphone though, not planar iem.

Truthear hexa seems good with favourable review. Sounds good at lower volume?

Dec 24, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #31,192 of 31,834
Try the IKKO OH2, grey version is really cheap now (under $35).
Mid-centric, non-fatiguing and great for vocals. They were good value at $80

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004707936271.html

I've bought two of the OH2 (plus an OH1) from this store, they've been quick and reliable.:L3000:
Thanks for the OH2 suggestion. I'll look into them.

I have the HD600 they are great except maybe the upper mids are too forward.

Dec 24, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #31,193 of 31,834

The HEXA is drivable from a low powered smartphone, but sounds meh in dynamics. It scales better when amplified.

Dec 24, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #31,194 of 31,834
That’s an excellent summation of what makes the NX7 MK4 good. It’s one of those sets that punches a class or so above its weight. It has options via nozzles and responds well to tip rolling too. Even the soundstage is presentable if you don’t compare it to home-runs like the OH10. I paid about $91US or so for mine shipped. Killer deal IMO. I’ve been using the gold filter recently but the black sounds great too.
I am waiting F1 more impressions. Same cool tuning nozzles. Seems just a few got that planar 😥 and its not that great. Discounted may be a good deal tho

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #31,195 of 31,834
The HEXA is drivable from a low powered smartphone, but sounds meh in dynamics. It scales better when amplified.
I'm afraid it will stay bass shy for my preference. Id EQ it... But its also tempting pay double for Zetian Wu with no EQ need, idk. It will be a choice for Chinese New Year sales anyway, maybe a new deal til then. I'll resist this hobby FOMO

Dec 24, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #31,196 of 31,834
I actually recently learn of those singer since I'm from Asia. Thanks to excellent youtube algorithm introducing me to them lol.
I am a bit scare of planar. I just recently tried the he400se headphone and feels some tinnitus like symptom which I'm not sure if it's related at all. Searching the net there are some people commenting that they experience the same when they start listening to planar headphone too. Only planar headphone though, not planar iem.

Me too im from philippines, just recently discovered iems, dunu titan s is my first iem, some say it is good beginner iem so i tried it and it was really better than my old jbl earphones, and i think dunu titan s is good in what your looking for, personally i like everything except the bass, wish it has more weight in it but overall not bad, its just that the hexa i think is newer and i think has better setup (but i dont have one unfortunately). Not really into expensive headphones, it is just too expensive for me and i want to bring my gear outside, dont want to rely and spend also on amp stuff, but if i am spending on headphones again maybe i will get the senheiser momentum 4, it is really perfect balance on what im looking for.

I think the tinnitus is caused by loud music listening, for me i just listen on what im comfortable. My second iem is planar but i dont worry about that.
I'm afraid it will stay bass shy for my preference. Id EQ it... But its also tempting pay double for Zetian Wu with no EQ need, idk. It will be a choice for Chinese New Year sales anyway, maybe a new deal til then. I'll resist this hobby FOMO
I was really close on buying zetian wu but decided to buy s12pro instead this 1212 sale. Maybe I will buy again maybe in 2-3years.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #31,197 of 31,834
would it be good from shanling UA3 dongle?

Me too im from philippines, just recently discovered iems, dunu titan s is my first iem, some say it is good beginner iem so i tried it and it was really better than my old jbl earphones, and i think dunu titan s is good in what your looking for, personally i like everything except the bass, wish it has more weight in it but overall not bad, its just that the hexa i think is newer and i think has better setup (but i dont have one unfortunately). Not really into expensive headphones, it is just too expensive for me and i want to bring my gear outside, dont want to rely and spend also on amp stuff, but if i am spending on headphones again maybe i will get the senheiser momentum 4, it is really perfect balance on what im looking for.

I think the tinnitus is caused by loud music listening, for me i just listen on what im comfortable. My second iem is planar but i dont worry about that.

I was really close on buying zetian wu but decided to buy s12pro instead this 1212 sale. Maybe I will buy again maybe in 2-3years.

There is a theory floating around on the planar infrasonic frequency and the driver ringing that is in all planar. But no one can be sure. All is speculation. I like natural more than neutral and I don't like thin sounding IEM or overly bright IEM. Ze tian wu is really interesting though.

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #31,198 of 31,834

I guess your IEM diversity with that “male and female duet to be equally balanced” part a hint where you may find the ideal curve for.

I’d suggest qdc tuning.

The best you can reach is Anole VX, mid budget options (DUNU SA6 ($560 )& SA6 Ultra (already sold out for $599 as it was 300set limited collaboration item). If a little bit more engaged, See Audio Bravery (OG $279, new shell around the same price)—still one of my endgame for vocal-oriented genre. It’s a bit high In hurdles, but I see a startup in Singapore (Aur Audio) makes Bravery on steroids,Neon Pro for $650. Someone have extensive experience mentioned if properly amped Aur Audio Neon Pro is par or above Anole VX (I’s take it because of slightly spiced up tuning of Neon Pro like Bravery has)

My understanding for qdc tuning is U-shaped with equal mid-uppermid plateau. This will bring you both excitement and equally balanced male /female vocals.

There is a budget option for that tuning, TRI’s Starsea.

If you are seeking more balanced tuning, You may hit Mangird Tea (OG) or AFUL Performer 5, both has very flat expressions across vocal range.

Tea (current $239) is replaced with XENNS Mangird Tea2(299), much smoother feeling of Tea2, in exchange of loss in male vocal range information density. Tea is 6BA+1DD 3 way design. It has TOTL class mid range, as they’ve spent 90% of their budget in midrange. Backed by 4BA of Sonion 2600, totaling 8BA left/right for vocal range, I have to emphasize Tea OG is vocal-beast.

For AFUL P5 going at $220, it has simple 4BA+1DD popular config, 2BA as tweeter, 2BA for mid, 1 DD for subwoofer. The mid-upper range is extremely neutral, but still enjoyable. What makes P5 special is speaker-like thumping subwoofer, which will add realistic touch to baritone region of which male vocal will gain benefit.

Also @baskingshark mentioned, HEXA is very vocal-neutral as well, with best cost to performance you could reach. A great option to bet. And it’s $79, a fraction of what the other options are offering.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #31,200 of 31,834
I don't think so. Bass is a lot easier to EQ than treble. On HEXA I just increase the mid and upper bass and the bass slams good! Meanwhile with some 3rd party eartips my 7Hz Timeless are not so easy to EQ the treble as sometimes it's shouty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back