CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 21, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #31,156 of 31,834
Such a nice chart of comparisons! Where can we find those? I'd like to see one for the Hook-X. Been having a hard time tip rolling with them recently haha.
Try some foams or double-flange as they are pretty versatile

Dec 22, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #31,157 of 31,834
Sorry! I have no hook-X. I found myself satisfied with Planars, Timeless, Wu Zetian, and planar hybrid i3 Pro. If only Raptgo released Planar IEM a bit earlier..
But I know some experts have completed most of Planar series.
You may hit up @Dsnuts @Redcarmoose @NymPHONOmaniac
Do you have the s12pro also the og s12? Want to know what score would you give, thanks alot!

Dec 22, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #31,158 of 31,834
Do you have the s12pro also the og s12? Want to know what score would you give, thanks alot!
Haha sorry, I already have similar one 7Hz Timeless, dry-neutral with sub-bass boost, Timeless was my endgame for about 1 year, that pulled me away from IEM rabbit hole. A+ in tuning, A in resolutions, A in geo-dynamics. From what I see on head-fi I would expect about same level of performance from S12Pro.

Dec 22, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #31,159 of 31,834
Yes you nailed my interpretations perfectly!
I personally feel resolving capabilities shall be separated from so-called technicalities because of its independence. Resolutions are hardly impacted by FR tuning unless you have 20db of bass floor with negative mid and upper. Resolving capabilities shall be there, it’s just a matter of relativity.

It’s less-elastic and shall be considered as independent technical aspect of an IEM, aside from geo-dynamism related expression skills.

Taking one of my another hobby, car as an example.

Resolving capabilities are like the horse power of your drivetrain, it’s a constant value, however, in order to let that horsepowers to kick the earth, you have very long way to let the power travel through complex mechanical & electrical systems to the contacting surface of the tires.

I tried to picture raw horsepower of an IEM, but as nobody is perfect, the horsepower is a guesstimate from the perception from what I felt from the vibrations from the steering wheel, and my body’s G sensors. That’s an ouput from the interactions of tire’s contacts (perceived resolution)with the roads (music).

Meanwhile, those geo-dynamic skills are more like drivability/cornering handling / steering agility/ acceleration & deceleration/ etc etc. It would impacted to some extent by how driver would handle the car (tonality & timbre)

If you EQ Stellaris to your personal HRTF preference, I can foresee near A geo-dynamism technicalities, aside from A- resolving capabilities.
Hi, I spent some time researching my HRTF and read over the resources in your signature, I think my hrtf may be a harmonic of 92hz. I tried implementing this in my eq but semingly "co-incidentally" this appeared to already exist in my preferences.

I wanted to ask if I was doing it right essentially I have a big gain spike corresponding to 92x2x2x2x2x2 which is 2944(pinna gain) and spike at 5888(the next harmonic) then at 11776 I have a preference where a dip occurs. Because its harsh and sibilant to me

My personal preference target is something similar to diffuse field but with a bass boost that cuts off exactly at 160hz.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #31,160 of 31,834
Haha sorry, I already have similar one 7Hz Timeless, dry-neutral with sub-bass boost, Timeless was my endgame for about 1 year, that pulled me away from IEM rabbit hole. A+ in tuning, A in resolutions, A in geo-dynamics. From what I see on head-fi I would expect about same level of performance from S12Pro.
Oh ok thanks, but i think the s12pro has 14.8 planar driver vs 14.2 from 7hz timeless vs 14.5 from zetian wu, maybe it has wider soundstage / better technicalities? Sorry I am really new into iems and what do you think about the rankings here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yezJ53hvwM0wMrptVxKo49AFI/edit#gid=2029568238

I think it is the best recent updated rankings (compare to crinacle and others), thanks!
Really interested in the wu zetian hbb heyday and gizaudio s12 collab

Dec 22, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #31,161 of 31,834
Hi, I spent some time researching my HRTF and read over the resources in your signature, I think my hrtf may be a harmonic of 92hz. I tried implementing this in my eq but semingly "co-incidentally" this appeared to already exist in my preferences.

I wanted to ask if I was doing it right essentially I have a big gain spike corresponding to 92x2x2x2x2x2 which is 2944(pinna gain) and spike at 5888(the next harmonic) then at 11776 I have a preference where a dip occurs. Because its harsh and sibilant to me

My personal preference target is something similar to diffuse field but with a bass boost that cuts off exactly at 160hz.
yes our ears know what’s beyond current science could reveal👍

I’ve studied AI and business at MIT, and from my experience interacting with class-leasing scientists and geniuses, we still know little about ourselves. Human. Nature.

Although I’m not acoustic expert, at least I can tell Sound wave is an extremely complex science subject that with current technology and science measurements/simulation, we still have limit in understanding the nature of wave functions.

My ex-colleagues team were trying to find mechanism of blackholes by using simple water waves. Yes, we recently found Gravity will also taking a form of wave, not to mention what we see, light, what we use as telecommunications, electromagnetic waves. Our world is full of waves. Sound wave is a part of that great nature.

IEM is a great device of transducer /catalyst of wave reproduction.

Back to your resonance gain spot, due to the complexity of resonance waves, that method is overly simplified, but without knowing ones exact ear anatomical measurements and various parameters (DAP’s output impedance/LowPass filter setting/cables/trancuder type/ear tips/insertion depth/room temperature/your body temperature etc etc) it’s almost impossible to have exact guesstimates. So please take it with a grain of salt, it’s a wild and rough guess you could have 2.944kHz pinna gain resonance peak, and likely 5.888kHZ -edgy sensors, 11.7khz —fatigue sensors.

I can see you are more inclined to detail-oriented micro-dynamism from that preferred curve, you may love Thieaudio’s Monarch siblings

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #31,162 of 31,834
Oh ok thanks, but i think the s12pro has 14.8 planar driver vs 14.2 from 7hz timeless vs 14.5 from zetian wu, maybe it has wider soundstage / better technicalities? Sorry I am really new into iems and what do you think about the rankings here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yezJ53hvwM0wMrptVxKo49AFI/edit#gid=2029568238

I think it is the best recent updated rankings (compare to crinacle and others), thanks!
Really interested in the wu zetian hbb heyday and gizaudio s12 collab
Driver size of that few mm difference is at least to my ear, inaudible, I’m not confident enough in telling the driver’s size with it’s sonic performance associated with, unless 6mm DD vs 10mm DD class huge difference. It’s not like car world, the higher the rev-counter, higher horsepower in a particular converts to more power.

For that ranking list, I see Timmy is inclined tonality/timbre over what IEM has to offer with their combination of drivers/crossovers/passive-crossovers. You see he ranked 4BA+1DD as S-. Among other EST hybrids and 6BA +multi BA models. I do it too, my backend computation of final score is 80:20. Timbre/Tonality vs Technicalities. But his weight could be higher.

Most of his top S tier is Elysian, which tells his biases toward certain tuning.

And from objective observation for Scoring DUNU’s SA6 ultra as S- noting with Anole VX-ish tuning, and Actual Anole VX as A-, is a solid evidence that ranking has “significant” bias weight in tonality over hardware specs.

To put this in a plain English, Timmy the car reviewer guy, is saying “I think Porche 911 V6 engine, is a better performance car over Lamborghini Sesto Elemento (V10). “ you can see that’s not hardware spec evaluation.

So I’d first find if Timmy’s tonality preference is in alignment with yours. If it matches to a great degree with yours with those common denominators, yea you’d probably find it very reliable. Otherwise I’d take it with tonality-favor biased ranking list.

For Wu Zetian’s Heyday edition, as someone went thru this industry from time where IEM hasn’t existed yet— That HBB’s safe tuning for heyday pulled the plug of Wu’s beauty.

Nothing personal, and not meant to offend someone who purchased. To me, heyday is a “Not worth a try”.

Tangzu’s recipe for Wu, as current owner, is Warm-neutralish tuning without sacrificing sense of staging, and detail articulations.

What HBB did is killing that sense of sensation, because he doesn’t like anything hits over his target curve. And nerf’ing warmth that Wu had, for less colorations.

It is an act of ripping Wu’s make ups off.
From this
6A6EFDC4-58AD-403D-BA3C-C519485C8C3C.jpeg

To this
300603DA-7961-4C9E-A5BC-227BAD09906A.jpeg

It’s understandable and his virtue toward colorless tuning to his HRTF is well executed in many Collaborations IEM, I like his DQ6S tuning (64 audio u12t copy though).

But in making beautifully tuned Wu, to colorless Wu, is highly questionable. Yea different taste, warm-harman curve taste. Nicely tuned by boring warm-harman curve that we see it in almost every pricing segments, just another harman spinoff.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #31,163 of 31,834
Driver size of that few mm difference is at least to my ear, inaudible, I’m not confident enough in telling the driver’s size with it’s sonic performance associated with, unless 6mm DD vs 10mm DD class huge difference. It’s not like car world, the higher the rev-counter, higher horsepower in a particular converts to more power.

For that ranking list, I see Timmy is inclined tonality/timbre over what IEM has to offer with their combination of drivers/crossovers/passive-crossovers. You see he ranked 4BA+1DD as S-. Among other EST hybrids and 6BA +multi BA models. I do it too, my backend computation of final score is 80:20. Timbre/Tonality vs Technicalities. But his weight could be higher.

Most of his top S tier is Elysian, which tells his biases toward certain tuning.

And from objective observation for Scoring DUNU’s SA6 ultra as S- noting with Anole VX-ish tuning, and Actual Anole VX as A-, is a solid evidence that ranking has “significant” bias weight in tonality over hardware specs.

To put this in a plain English, Timmy the car reviewer guy, is saying “I think Porche 911 V6 engine, is a better performance car over Lamborghini Sesto Elemento (V10). “ you can see that’s not hardware spec evaluation.

So I’d first find if Timmy’s tonality preference is in alignment with yours. If it matches to a great degree with yours with those common denominators, yea you’d probably find it very reliable. Otherwise I’d take it with tonality-favor biased ranking list.

For Wu Zetian’s Heyday edition, as someone went thru this industry from time where IEM hasn’t existed yet— That HBB’s safe tuning for heyday pulled the plug of Wu’s beauty.

Nothing personal, and not meant to offend someone who purchased. To me, heyday is a “Not worth a try”.

Tangzu’s recipe for Wu, as current owner, is Warm-neutralish tuning without sacrificing sense of staging, and detail articulations.

What HBB did is killing that sense of sensation, because he doesn’t like anything hits over his target curve. And nerf’ing warmth that Wu had, for less colorations.

It is an act of ripping Wu’s make ups off.
From this

To this

It’s understandable and his virtue toward colorless tuning to his HRTF is well executed in many Collaborations IEM, I like his DQ6S tuning (64 audio u12t copy though).

But in making beautifully tuned Wu, to colorless Wu, is highly questionable. Yea different taste, warm-harman curve taste. Nicely tuned by boring warm-harman curve that we see it in almost every pricing segments, just another harman spinoff.
Oh i see, me personally i lean on newer stuff (maybe improvements in time), like in computer, an i7 processor 3 years ago is now comparable to i5 now, i do not know alot about cars also maybe the v6 twin-turbo landcruiser is now comparable to old v8 landcruiser (i like the looks of porsche 911 over the lambo haha)? About the rankings, i think timmy really likes treble so maybe he is biased on good treble/clarity/details and depends on the music he listens. What do you think the ranking in this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...J8G_WX1odnOYBJsBNbVskQVt8/edit#gid=1897980432 (precogvisions ranking from headphones.com)?

About the zetian wu heyday, i think the box is pretty haha and the accesories i really prefer it over my s12pro but i'm happy now with my s12pro unlike my first iem dunu (only lacks bass for me). In tuning i think i prefer neutral with bass boost (i really like balance clarity = bass with decent tonality) and i listen mostly in all kinds of music except metal, maybe i will upgrade if there will be new value hybrid iem under 200-250usd in a few years. Thanks alot for educating us here!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #31,164 of 31,834
In tuning i think i prefer neutral with bass boost (i really like balance clarity = bass with decent tonality) maybe there will be new value hybrid iem under 200-250usd. Thanks alot for educating us here!

Neutral with sub-bass boost = check out the Truthear HEXA

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #31,165 of 31,834
Neutral with sub-bass boost = check out the Truthear HEXA
I bought the s12pro really good deal like 100 usd and the hexa was not available locally, i like to upgrade the bass (better than dunu titan s) and i think hexa is around same or just slightly better, in the rankings of timmy, the s12 has better bass than hexa not sure if im right and i think s12pro fixed the treble from og s12. Thanks!

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #31,166 of 31,834
I bought the s12pro really good deal like 100 usd and the hexa was not available locally, i like to upgrade the bass (better than dunu titan s) and i think hexa is around same or just slightly better, in the rankings of timmy, the s12 has better bass than hexa not sure if im right and i think s12pro fixed the treble from og s12. Thanks!

S12 Pro is V shaped, HEXA is neutral with sub-bass boost. In terms of technicalities, the S12 Pro is slightly better, but S12 Pro has a slightly more artificial timbre. Both are really good sets at the $100ish price range. But if you want a bit more midrange to be showcased, the HEXA is better as the S12 Pro is a bit too V shaped in this aspect.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #31,167 of 31,834
S12 Pro is V shaped, HEXA is neutral with sub-bass boost. In terms of technicalities, the S12 Pro is slightly better, but S12 Pro has a slightly more artificial timbre. Both are really good sets at the $100ish price range. But if you want a bit more midrange to be showcased, the HEXA is better as the S12 Pro is a bit too V shaped in this aspect.
I think i agree on the timbre part but overall for me still good (maybe the timbre is the next upgrade i want), i really considered the hexa its just not available right now or not fairly priced in my country. I prefer the midbass (weight) over subbass rumble and i think the planar bass is really good (sounds really clean) and has good details / maybe technicality not really sure on what im saying haha. thanks!

Dec 23, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #31,169 of 31,834
Dec 23, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #31,170 of 31,834
Aful P5, amazing! Supreme imaging and mesmerizing bass and mids! :)

20221223_080004.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back