Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #7,906 of 7,916
FYI: Gearbest has the Axon 7 Mini on sale for $159.99

GearBest has the ZTE Axon 7 Mini 32GB 4G LTE Unlocked GSM Android Smartphone for a low $159.99 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: "AXONH" (Exp Soon). This sells for $238 on Amazon, so you're saving $78 (32%) off and is the lowest price we've seen.
  • Unlocked GSM phone works with FreedomPop SIM, AT&T and T-Mobile
  • 5.2" 1920x1080 display, Android 6 OS, 2705mAh battery
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 617 1.2/1.5GHz Octa-Core w/ 3GB RAM
  • 32GB internal storage capacity, expandable via microSD slot
  • 16MP rear camera + 8MP front-facing camera, 4G LTE
It has very good audio through the jack.

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #7,907 of 7,916
Guys, do you think a Meizu MX4 Pro (ESS Sabre ES9018K2M + OPA1612) for $290 brand new is still a good smartphone to buy today? Or should i go with a Galaxy S7 (Cirrus Logic CS47L91) for $490? Want to know if they sound much different and if the price difference is worth it for the S7. The prices are high because the country i live has those insane prices.
Brazilian friend? I was with an LG G6 but I sold it and today my live xplay 6, I'm also Brazilian

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #7,908 of 7,916
Hejj there i have a question

I got my Sony xperia xz premium some days ago and i found something strange. I have some 3 Button ios remote headphones (Bose soundsport and V-Moda m100) and they dont seem to work at all with my phone. If i plug them in i can listen to the sound about 2 sec before the song pauses. i fiddeled a bit arouund with the middle button and i am able to play the song again for 2 seconds. After some more fiddeling with the buttons the music kept playing and the sony recognised my bose headphone as a sony headphone with built in noise cancellation. This situatiion i was not able to repeat.

the only way to listen to music is by pressing the middle button constantly and then pressing play on the phonescreen, the sound will then play as long as i hold the middle button.

With my etymotics with 3 button ios remote everything works as intended exept for the volume control which is obvious.

Has anyone of you a clue on how to listen to music with these 3 button headphones? i always tought at least playing music should always be possible.

with headphones without any remote or mic i have no problems at all.

Jun 13, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #7,909 of 7,916
I'm curious about high-resolution audio. I don't buy music anymore, I stream it from Spotify, and although Spotify (to my knowledge) does not currently offer high-resolution audio, they were testing offering lossless audio the last time I searched for information about Spotify and sound quality. Plus, I might try out Tidal. I don't know much about high-resolution audio, so I need to know what to look for in mobile devices. I've read that some people connect external DACs to their mobile devices; I hesitate to do that, because it sounds inconvenient, especially since I work out with my phone. I mean, imagine putting a phone into an armband case and going running, with the USB DAC connected. How would that work?
Still, I won't rule out a DAC if I can't get what I want built-in to the phone, especially DACs that are designed for portability (I'd probably keep it in my pocket all of the time, along with my phone) and work with Android and/or iOS.
I'm posting this to find out if anyone knows anything that I have missed. Also, I've read that Android does not support high-resolution sound; specifically, any sound that is higher than 16-bit or has a higher sample rate than 48 kHz gets converted to 16/44.1 during playback. I need confirmation of this, and if it is true, please tell me whether it is true of Android 7.x (Nougat) and of the Android 8 (O) developer preview, because the information that I came across was old.
I'm also curious about phones that can record surround sound via their internal microphones, and play it too (and while playing it over headphones or the internal speakers, virtualize the surround channels). After Googling [phones that can record surround sound], I found out about Lumia phones with "rich recording". As far as I understand, they are able to record and encode Dolby Surround sound. Unfortunately, they are Windows phones, and as a current Windows Phone user (technically, Windows 10 Mobile) I am planning on switching to either Android or iOS due to the app gap between Windows Phone/Mobile and the other two phone OSes.
In addition, I Googled [phones with Dolby Audio Capture] (that's Dolby's latest tech for recording 5.1-channel sound) and found some phones that can record 5.1-channel Dolby Digital Plus, and also support virtual Dolby Atmos over headphones (and maybe even over the built-in speakers, IIRC).
So, I'm curious about:
1. phones that support high-resolution sound
2. Phones that can both record and play surround sound (and when they play it, they should be able to virtualize the surround and center channels over headphones).
I'm posting this to find out if anyone knows anything that I have missed. Especially about high-resolution audio, as I know little- to nothing about high-resolution audio.
If I am missing any information that would help me with anything I've mentioned, please let me know.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #7,910 of 7,916
I think the HTC One M8 is by this price right now and it has the headphones amp, it's rootable and has the v4a support.

Hey, man, I'm from Brazil too. I know what you're dealing with and maybe I can help you.
As you may know HTC phones have pretty good audio, on ebay there're many sellers that ship to Brazil. Just got my M7 refurbished in pretty good shape, they taxed me but the ship box said 'refurbished smartphone' so it was inevitable.
At the seller's page you can find the M9 for $250. If you want we can talk via whatsapp, Skype or even email. Pass me your info in private.
I'm from Brazil too friend

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #7,911 of 7,916
Can someone reply with, or point me in the direction of, a full listing of Android devices that have a dedicated DAC? I'd be fine getting a used model as old as 2015 or so. Ideally I would like to spend only about $200 and am completely fine with used phones.
I have listened to the LG V20 and found the sound to be awesome. I have a Samsung S6 for work and don't find its audio to be all that special.
I plan to use a dac carrying phone as a dedicated Media player / DAP. Any help compiling a list of options would be great - this thread is a beast and searching through it all is info overload

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #7,912 of 7,916
Can someone reply with, or point me in the direction of, a full listing of Android devices that have a dedicated DAC? I'd be fine getting a used model as old as 2015 or so. Ideally I would like to spend only about $200 and am completely fine with used phones.
I have listened to the LG V20 and found the sound to be awesome. I have a Samsung S6 for work and don't find its audio to be all that special.
I plan to use a dac carrying phone as a dedicated Media player / DAP. Any help compiling a list of options would be great - this thread is a beast and searching through it all is info overload

I'm working on it. I will be posting as a new thread so that I can add an update in the future smartphone. It seems this thread's starter has been inactive for a long time and make passer-by reader feel reluctant to read thru load of information.

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #7,913 of 7,916
Jun 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #7,914 of 7,916
Hey, i see Huawei P9 Lite which according to many reviews, has a pretty decent audio quality, even some special audiochip, and cost about 160$ on aliexpress, which is affordable.
Any downsides from the sellers, why phone is so cheap, it cost about 260$ when released, why sudden drop in price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back