Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #2,221 of 7,916
Thanks for all the tips people, appreciate it :)

one more question: I like to buy a pair of over headphones for my V10 and maybe also for my S7 in a while (if they bring out a dual sim that is).

I am torn between the cheap AKG K545 for €100 or the AKG K845 Bluetooth. The AKG K845 for €250 also with my TV. What do you guy think, is the price difference worth it? I have never used BT headphones with high end music players, will there be a lot of quality loss?

Deep, 

I have tried out the AKG K550, K553 Pro, and the K845 Bluetooth headphones. What I can tell you is, the K550 and the K553 (virtually identical in looks...... the K553 Pro is the slightly improved version of the K550) are slightly bigger than the K545 and the K845, but they also offer MORE EXPANSIVE SOUNDSTAGE, which I love. The K845 is basically identical to the K545 in looks (I've never tried out the K545), and from the descriptions I've read, in sound too. 

Both are a bit more bassier than K550 & K553 are (they are VERY neutral headphones, but I mean that in a good way). What I've come to learn is, headphones that have any bass enhancement tend to sound less detailed because that bass can overshadow the mids and highs at times (especially on bassier songs), and even nice background stuff like guitar fills, harmonies, echoes, etc. AKG however is great at keeping the bass isolated, so I didn't hear that on the K845, but I still found the slightly extra bass a bit distracting. The slightly smaller soundstage didn't help either, but I did think overall they sounded great. I feel like the K550 & K553 give you the RIGHT amount of bass......never overwhelming, but never weak or lacking either. The K550 & K553 are also very comfortable to wear too. Like having 2 giant pillows over your ears. lol

The only MINOR cons of the K550 and K553 are that their cables are not detachable and a bit long (10 feet, or 3 meters), but I just tie up my cable. Until they release a version that has a detachable cable, this is the best you will find. I've pitted my $170 K553 against headphones more than twice its price..........the $400 Oppo PM-3, the $400 Mastery & Dynamic MH40, the Bowers & Wilkins P7, and the $250 Blue Lola.............. and it beats them all one way or another (usually on soundstage and/or bass isolation). They really are incredible! 

You can't get the K553 outside of the U.S. However, eBay does have sellers who sell internationally, so I would try there. Also, there's been some speculation that the K553 is the same as the AKG K550 MK II, though I can't prove this. Since you posted currency in Euros, I'm gonna assume you live in Europe, where the AKG K550 MK II is most definitely available on both UK Amazon and also eBay. Try for the K553 first, but again, if you check on Google, most people seem to think or believe the K550 MK II and the K553 are the same headphones. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #2,223 of 7,916

ZMan, 

That is very true! Unfortunately, BT headphones don't ever have very good or premium amp/DACs in them. I just wish they did. As time goes on, it will get better I'm sure. 

There are on-ear headphones that supposedly sound really great by XZT, the Divine. But they have yet to make an over-ear version. Hopefully soon. I'd be interested. The on-ear Divine has gotten much praise from at least 2 Head-Fi'ers, Giogio and Brooko. It seems very promising. Cables are no big issue for me, but I'd honestly love not to have to deal with them anymore. lol

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #2,227 of 7,916
  I just ordered a ZTE Axon ($199 on B&H Photo if anyone is interested) and it'll be here on Tuesday. It's by far the largest sized phone I've ever had, and it's far too large for my hands. But the performance, hardware specs, minimal UI, and much hyped hi-fi sounds will make up for that I hope. 

@shorty920

Hi
can you please share your opinion regarding Axon? either you did not post it or I could not find it!
cheers

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #2,228 of 7,916
by the way let me ask you all a question, my assumption that iBasso DX50 is a better performer than any given smartphone is wrong or correct? especially interested how will it stand its ground against Meizu MX4 pro

thanks ! 

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #2,229 of 7,916
by the way let me ask you all a question, my assumption that iBasso DX50 is a better performer than any given smartphone is wrong or correct? especially interested how will it stand its ground against Meizu MX4 pro

thanks ! 

Even a Fiio X1 ($100) is better than every smartphone I auditioned. You can't compare a dedicated dap with a smartphone. For e.g the LG V10 is for sure the best audiophile smartphone but it has a lot of flaws for a perfect listening on the go

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #2,230 of 7,916
Even a Fiio X1 ($100) is better than every smartphone I auditioned. You can't compare a dedicated dap with a smartphone. For e.g the LG V10 is for sure the best audiophile smartphone but it has a lot of flaws for a perfect listening on the go

Those flaws are easy fix...but if LG did not implement the Snapdragon DAC...it would be much better

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #2,231 of 7,916

thanks ! 

I think that was true in the past, but I wouldn't make that assumption anymore. I can't speak on Meizu's phones, as I haven't heard them, but I think the V10 for example easily matches or betters low-to-mid tier DAPs in sound quality. Of course, there are other factors beyond sound quality that could make a dedicated DAP better for certain situations, like the lack of dedicated buttons on smartphones. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #2,232 of 7,916
My ear would be so badass that I found meizu mx4 pro sounds better than all less than 300$ DAP. Damn my ear...

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #2,233 of 7,916
I think that was true in the past, but I wouldn't make that assumption anymore. I can't speak on Meizu's phones, as I haven't heard them, but I think the V10 for example easily matches or betters low-to-mid tier DAPs in sound quality. Of course, there are other factors beyond sound quality that could make a dedicated DAP better for certain situations, like the lack of dedicated buttons on smartphones. 

V10 second screen takes care of that :wink:

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #2,234 of 7,916
V10 second screen takes care of that
wink.gif

Not when it's in your pocket

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #2,235 of 7,916

thanks ! 

maybe power wise the ibasso has more output power for headphones with 300+ohms, then gain modes, etc. Dunno what the maximum output for  both is though (in high gain) though this probably only matters for cans and not IEMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back