Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #2,251 of 7,916

I dunno bavnick. Guy told me it sounded the same as Mojo. Just saying the HA-2 rocks! 

Listening to the mojo day after day really starts to show you what Chord has achieved with the mojo. One or two listens will not impress, but spend some time with it and you might start to question what other companies are putting out....

that sure seems the consensus....the boys at chord really know their stuff...all that listening theory learning by Rob Watts in university, coupled with his knowledge of chip design and analog/digital technology ...all converging to help create a greatly innovative device

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #2,252 of 7,916
I've asked mom in U.S. to make me b-day present - headphones B&O H6 for my VIVO X6 Plus. She ordered from Amazon.
I'll be there only in July, though.
Now I'm still listening to it in my dynamic Sennheiser IE80 IEM. I've tried armatured IEM, but the sound was just a little better (more detailed on high frequencies, bass was less hollow): did not want to own two IEM, so refused to buy one more (but my next IEM will be armatured for sure).
All-in-all, VIVO X6 Plus is good. Though, no root, notifications do not arrive with screen off and AMOLED display in comparison with IPS is ugly... :frowning2:

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #2,254 of 7,916
  by the way let me ask you all a question, my assumption that iBasso DX50 is a better performer than any given smartphone is wrong or correct? especially interested how will it stand its ground against Meizu MX4 pro

thanks ! 

Thanks to everyone for the input !

Mar 12, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #2,255 of 7,916
I have a Huawei Mate 8 and it beats the crap out of every other phone I've had. My iPhone 6S Plus and Samsung S7 Edge sounds like crap compared to it. The depth in the sound is incredible in the Mate 8 and great dynamic sound. I'm pretty sure no other phone out there beats it today. It just sounds that good. Puts all my other phones to shame.

Try one if you can.

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #2,256 of 7,916
  I have a Huawei Mate 8 and it beats the crap out of every other phone I've had. My iPhone 6S Plus and Samsung S7 Edge sounds like crap compared to it. The depth in the sound is incredible in the Mate 8 and great dynamic sound. I'm pretty sure no other phone out there beats it today. It just sounds that good. Puts all my other phones to shame.

Try one if you can

I actually tried out this phone a few days ago while comparing it to my V10. And I must say the sound was clear and loud. I think the V10 had more depth to it and also more instruments were audible with my V10 (FLAC Song: Scheherazade Rimsky Korsakov). So although I agree with you that phone is really good I am not convinced that it is soundwise better than the V10 . 

Its a shame Huawei used IPS instead of OLED in Mate 8. I liked the Mate S display better.

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #2,257 of 7,916

Try one if you can.

Does it have dedicated DAC and Amp inside ? What is it

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #2,259 of 7,916
Does it have dedicated DAC and Amp inside ? What is it

Take a look at this link,
http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/comparison/9fad59a4b

its called a hisilicon hi6402

I personally like OLED screens better, the camera was also not the best. It had some problems with finding focus in the store (was a bit dark).
There is a 128GB version with DUAL 4g SIM and 4000mah though! Huawei really understands consumers needs.

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #2,260 of 7,916

I actually tried out this phone a few days ago while comparing it to my V10. And I must say the sound was clear and loud. I think the V10 had more depth to it and also more instruments were audible with my V10 (FLAC Song: Scheherazade Rimsky Korsakov). So although I agree with you that phone is really good I am not convinced that it is soundwise better than the V10 . 

Its a shame Huawei used IPS instead of OLED in Mate 8. I liked the Mate S display better.

I had the Mate S too but I did not like its Amoled panel. It was way too saturated for my taste and colors looked overblown. I prefer the display on my Mate 8 myself. But best screen of all is my S7 Edge. It's fantastic. The S7 Edge is pretty much the perfect phone for me, except the lackluster audio.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,262 of 7,916
  @shorty920

Hi
can you please share your opinion regarding Axon? either you did not post it or I could not find it!
cheers

Yeah I didn't post after that last one. 

So I had actually moved on from the Axon to a Samsung S6 2 weeks afterwards, but you may be happy to know that it's not due to the sound quality. The Axon is a well-built phone with a very minimal UI, sturdy construction, and performs well. However, it was just too big. The screen size is 5.5 inches, but it's closer in size to a 6 inch phone due to a thick bezel and metal grills above and below the phone

Now for the sound: I'm certainly no expert so I won't be talking about voltages or sound cleanliness or anything like that. But I can say that the Axon was probably the best sounding phone I've ever heard, even when comparing it to my Samsung S6 and previous phones (HTC One x, Samsung S2, LG G2, Moto X). Compared to the LG G2 and the Samsung S6, the Axon has a better amp (the phone was much physically bigger) and I didn't have to turn the volume as high to drive the same level of sound. The music experience was fantastic and was by far my favorite aspect of the phone. There is also a "Dolby Digital" sound feature that you can turn on and off (sort of like the Beats audio toggle on the HTC phones and HP laptops). When turned on, it adds an enhanced/exaggerated level of soundstage and spacy-ness that can sound amazing for some instrumental sounds, however it didn't work as well on pop and hip hop songs. I loved the Dolby Digital sound feature personally, and listening with my Philips X2 Fidelio headphones was a treat.

Overall I'd say that if you don't care about phone size, then the Axon may be one of the top sounding phones out there. Better than the Samsung S6 I'm currently using as the phone's size allows it to have a relatively powerful amp + great built-in DAC. The phone should also check off your other areas as well. It's a great value when at full price ($200-$250 depending on the sale), good screen, good camera, very sturdy construction (aluminum metal), very minimalistic UI, and great mid-level phone specs. The battery life is also fantastic, and I can get through a day with 40% charge remaining whereas my Samsung is at 5% by the time I get home. I use ATT in the NYC/NJ area

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #2,263 of 7,916
Hi,

thanks so much for your elaborated answer. First off, I am not an audiophil and I am not very verbose on this topic. However my ears are picky and I know very quickly when I like a sound profile and when not. Today I also tried the K845 and was disappointed as they sounded muffled and unlike K545 which sounded much cleaner.

I tried several expensive models but never liked them, I went as high as EUR800 with B&Ws I believe. The only 2 models that I like are K545 (EUR 175) and the NAD HP50 (EUR 240). Also tried Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and was again disappointed. The sound from the NAD was ok but K545 very good. Also did not like: V Moda, Urbanite Momentum. Finally, I also liked the Sony Z7, MDR-1A and a pair Beyer Dynamics. Not sure which model, the sound was good but cable was not detachable and the earpad was HOT (EUR125 I think)!

The ones I liked:

- Sony Z7 (over budget)
- Sony MDR-1A (comfortable, not sure if the sound stage was as wide as K545)
- AKG K545 (bulky but nice wide sound stage)
- NAD HP50 (terrible fit)

I am not sure about the sound profile but I think (1) wide sound stage (open headphones are not an option), (2) I love to hear high tones (3) I love separated base. When the base is not separated I find the sound "muddy" to hear.

So which headphones to consider?? Also, I read the recommendation list but the AKGs and Sonys are not mentioned at all. Do I have to worry I am making a misinformed purchase?

Quote:
  Thanks for all the tips people, appreciate it :)

one more question: I like to buy a pair of over headphones for my V10 and maybe also for my S7 in a while (if they bring out a dual sim that is).

I am torn between the cheap AKG K545 for €100 or the AKG K845 Bluetooth. The AKG K845 for €250 also with my TV. What do you guy think, is the price difference worth it? I have never used BT headphones with high end music players, will there be a lot of quality loss?

Deep, 

I have tried out the AKG K550, K553 Pro, and the K845 Bluetooth headphones. What I can tell you is, the K550 and the K553 (virtually identical in looks...... the K553 Pro is the slightly improved version of the K550) are slightly bigger than the K545 and the K845, but they also offer MORE EXPANSIVE SOUNDSTAGE, which I love. The K845 is basically identical to the K545 in looks (I've never tried out the K545), and from the descriptions I've read, in sound too. 

Both are a bit more bassier than K550 & K553 are (they are VERY neutral headphones, but I mean that in a good way). What I've come to learn is, headphones that have any bass enhancement tend to sound less detailed because that bass can overshadow the mids and highs at times (especially on bassier songs), and even nice background stuff like guitar fills, harmonies, echoes, etc. AKG however is great at keeping the bass isolated, so I didn't hear that on the K845, but I still found the slightly extra bass a bit distracting. The slightly smaller soundstage didn't help either, but I did think overall they sounded great. I feel like the K550 & K553 give you the RIGHT amount of bass......never overwhelming, but never weak or lacking either. The K550 & K553 are also very comfortable to wear too. Like having 2 giant pillows over your ears. lol

The only MINOR cons of the K550 and K553 are that their cables are not detachable and a bit long (10 feet, or 3 meters), but I just tie up my cable. Until they release a version that has a detachable cable, this is the best you will find. I've pitted my $170 K553 against headphones more than twice its price..........the $400 Oppo PM-3, the $400 Mastery & Dynamic MH40, the Bowers & Wilkins P7, and the $250 Blue Lola.............. and it beats them all one way or another (usually on soundstage and/or bass isolation). They really are incredible! 

You can't get the K553 outside of the U.S. However, eBay does have sellers who sell internationally, so I would try there. Also, there's been some speculation that the K553 is the same as the AKG K550 MK II, though I can't prove this. Since you posted currency in Euros, I'm gonna assume you live in Europe, where the AKG K550 MK II is most definitely available on both UK Amazon and also eBay. Try for the K553 first, but again, if you check on Google, most people seem to think or believe the K550 MK II and the K553 are the same headphones. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #2,264 of 7,916
deepocean, 

You're welcome. 

I owned the Sony MDR-1A, for several months actually, and it was great, but Sony IMO (like some other companies do too) adds a bit too much bass to their headphones, and because it's not well-isolated enough, the bass ends up spilling over to the mids and highs, which I find unacceptable. 

I haven't tried the K545 but I've heard it's very similar to the K550 and ($170) K553, just a bit smaller (and a bit smaller soundstage too) and slightly bassier. It is more portable than the K550/K553, but I don't believe it has a detachable cable (right?), so for me, I'd rather have the bigger more spacious soundstage that the K550/K553 offer. I bet the soundstage on the K545 is better than the 1A, but not 100% sure.

Yeah I've heard the HP50 is a bit big & bulky, and not all that comfortable. The Z7 looks cool but yeah it's pricey (and if it's bassy like the 1A, I wouldn't want it anyway). The AT M50x............ I had it, and for as popular as it is, it was my least favorite headphone ever. The soundstage was awful. Very boxed or closed-in sounding. Yuck. 

All I know is, after trying more expensive headphones like the ($300) 1A, the ($400) Oppo PM-3, the ($400) Master & Dynamic MH40, the ($250) Blue Lola, and the ($400) Bowers & Wilkins P7, none of them had the soundstage and/or the bass isolation (or both) of the AKG K550/K553. I could hear details with the AKG headphones that were simply drowned in bass in the more expensive headphones, and/or the sound just wasn't as spacious. 

What list? Screw that list. lol Any list that doesn't have AKG on it to me is a joke.

So yeah, try the AKG K553 or else in the UK area, the AKG K550 MK II (see links above to buy). Make sure you have a good premium player or like me, a solid amp/DAC, like the Oppo HA-2. Let me know if you have more questions. 

Update: Deep I checked, and the K545 DOES have a detachable cable. While I still would favor the K550/K553, since you said you felt the K545 was "bulky but with a nice soundstage", then maybe the K550/K553 isn't right for you, only because it is slightly bigger than the K545 (though they all have 50mm speaker drivers, which contributes to the bigger soundstage these AKG models offer up). The K545 has a bit more bass to it, and slightly less soundstage, instrument separation & comfort, but only slightly. Aside from that, it appears to be pretty much identical to the K550/K553.

I think we both know it's the best overall choice out of the 4 that you mentioned. So just get that I guess.

Note: It's best not to use a cable with an in-line remote in it. Since the K545 comes with 2 cables that both have remotes, I would recommend buying this cable to use instead (or this one). Some of the people here on Head-Fi claim that the in-line remotes introduce a mild amount of distortion into the sound. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #2,265 of 7,916

Yeah I didn't post after that last one. 

So I had actually moved on from the Axon to a Samsung S6 2 weeks afterwards, but you may be happy to know that it's not due to the sound quality. The Axon is a well-built phone with a very minimal UI, sturdy construction, and performs well. However, it was just too big. The screen size is 5.5 inches, but it's closer in size to a 6 inch phone due to a thick bezel and metal grills above and below the phone

Now for the sound: I'm certainly no expert so I won't be talking about voltages or sound cleanliness or anything like that. But I can say that the Axon was probably the best sounding phone I've ever heard, even when comparing it to my Samsung S6 and previous phones (HTC One x, Samsung S2, LG G2, Moto X). Compared to the LG G2 and the Samsung S6, the Axon has a better amp (the phone was much physically bigger) and I didn't have to turn the volume as high to drive the same level of sound. The music experience was fantastic and was by far my favorite aspect of the phone. There is also a "Dolby Digital" sound feature that you can turn on and off (sort of like the Beats audio toggle on the HTC phones and HP laptops). When turned on, it adds an enhanced/exaggerated level of soundstage and spacy-ness that can sound amazing for some instrumental sounds, however it didn't work as well on pop and hip hop songs. I loved the Dolby Digital sound feature personally, and listening with my Philips X2 Fidelio headphones was a treat.

Overall I'd say that if you don't care about phone size, then the Axon may be one of the top sounding phones out there. Better than the Samsung S6 I'm currently using as the phone's size allows it to have a relatively powerful amp + great built-in DAC. The phone should also check off your other areas as well. It's a great value when at full price ($200-$250 depending on the sale), good screen, good camera, very sturdy construction (aluminum metal), very minimalistic UI, and great mid-level phone specs. The battery life is also fantastic, and I can get through a day with 40% charge remaining whereas my Samsung is at 5% by the time I get home. I use ATT in the NYC/NJ area

Thank you so much for such a detailed information !!!
I own at this moment Zte Nubia Z7 and it sounds good indeed ,so your post helps me to make an easy choice and go for Axon as I decided that it is a time for a new phone and anyway 5.5 is a size of phone I do prefer
once again thanx a million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back