Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #2,281 of 7,916
can't wait for huawei to offer their tablets and phones over here in canada
(just read they're really taking over in china and europe, even surpassing apple for sales in some areas)

just in today: google is releasing 2 new tablets in the next few months:
a 7'' one and and a more refined 8"'
huawei is in discussion with google to do the 8" version...cool!

http://en.yibada.com/articles/109189/20160312/google-nexus-2016-release-will-include-nexus-7x-8p-tablets-specs-features-and-pricing-to-watch-for.htm

Try Oppomart (fast shipping 2-5 days) you might wait for long in Canada

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #2,283 of 7,916
according to gsmarena HTC Desire EYE has a superb audio quality, read that just before pulling trigger on Axon and since Eye is on a sale now I can get it for 199$

not that I will buy it only according to gsmarena, so any experience anyone? 

thanx !

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2,288 of 7,916
interesting article on the possible future of modular phones:

LG G5, Project Ara and others: The modular smartphone revolution may come sooner than expected

[COLOR=22229C]http://m.tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/lg-g5-project-ara-and-others-the-modular-smartphone-revolution-may-arrive-earlier-than-expected-303928.html[/COLOR]

It will come the time when people would be like "oh shix...where is my radio reception module....dang it, forgot at a friend house" lol...

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #2,289 of 7,916
  according to gsmarena HTC Desire EYE has a superb audio quality, read that just before pulling trigger on Axon and since Eye is on a sale now I can get it for 199$

not that I will buy it only according to gsmarena, so any experience anyone? 

thanx !

posting on behalf of @thepooh 

"As far as audio is concerned, the Desire Eye is quite decent with better performance than previous flagships running Beats Audio.

You will like the 3D wide soundstage with high enough volume levels , but it sounds good only with mp3 through the stock player.

1st issue : I tried flac and it catched a lot of hiss, sibilances and harshness (with all my headhones), as if it was forcing the hardware to support lossless files.

2nd issue : overheating, I suppose that it has been corrected through FW updates.

3rd issue : tricky 4G and death grip wifi, even in full coverage 4G will work but once you restart the phone, it won't work anymore.

4th issue : the white version gets dirty very easily and not cleaning friendly

5th issue : some uneven lightning on the screen, the lower part seems to turn darler with a yellow tint, I saw this on 2 blue units but the red/white seems to have a better screen

Honestly, now that we are in 2016, the Desire Eye is considered as a mid range in terms of technology and entry level in terms of audio capabilities. You have better options out there (M8 should be available less than $300, A9 as the perfect alternative for a few bucks more"

hope this will be to someone as helpful as it was to me ! 

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2,290 of 7,916
am I the only one here that uses windows phone with a portable amp/dac? ever since windows 10 mobile you can OTG some audio from your windows handheld. I understand that there aren't many windows 10 handsets available or have windows mobile 10 (unless you are a windows insider), but my Lumia 950 XL has a built in EQ and when paired with a capable amp/dac provides an enjoyable listening experience. Now personally I am not a fan of EQing and like things flat and neutral, but my Nvidia Shield tablet and 5th gen ipod touch don't seem to produce better sound. the only edge they seem to have is a Tidal app and so far no windows mobile 10 love there.

I was just curious to see if anyone else used a windows 10 mobile device for the source for their mobile audio

this may get me flamed, but I'm a big boy and am wearing my big boy pants.

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,291 of 7,916
I think most of the people "Within this thread" are looking for an all in one device (best audiophile smartphone), which needs no stacking. If you have to stack your phone with any DAC/Amp, then seriously, anything (iPod Nano)....can be a transport just fine...:wink:

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #2,293 of 7,916
I think most of the people "Within this thread" are looking for an all in one device (best audiophile smartphone), which needs no stacking. If you have to stack your phone with any DAC/Amp, then seriously, anything (iPod Nano)....can be a transport just fine...
wink.gif

I understand that, but there isn't a phone out there (maybe the Lg G5, if and when the dac module is available) that can drive really high end headphones with authority... my windows phone does good with IEMs and low impedance dynamics, and like I mentioned there is even a built in EQ if that is your thing.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #2,294 of 7,916
I understand that, but there isn't a phone out there (maybe the Lg G5, if and when the dac module is available) that can drive really high end headphones with authority... my windows phone does good with IEMs and low impedance dynamics, and like I mentioned there is even a built in EQ if that is your thing.

You are missing out LG V10 ? Seriously ? G5 is not released yet, so V10 is still the king.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #2,295 of 7,916
in US, v10 is king. while outside, Meizu rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back