Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #2,240 of 7,916
Even a Fiio X1 ($100) is better than every smartphone I auditioned. You can't compare a dedicated dap with a smartphone. For e.g the LG V10 is for sure the best audiophile smartphone but it has a lot of flaws for a perfect listening on the go

i have tested lg g4 with x1 and x1 totally nails the soundstages.Phones needs better implementation of DAC's. I was under the impression that my mi3 is better than x1 but i was wrong when i used some high end over the ear headphones.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,241 of 7,916
i have tested lg g4 with x1 and x1 totally nails the soundstages. Phones needs better implementation of DAC's. I was under the impression that my mi3 is better than x1 but i was wrong when i used some high end over the ear headphones.

Do you know what you are talking about ? LG G4 has not the ESS Sabres ES9018K2M DAC inside it, let alone the Amp ES9602 , the V10 does...so if you are implementing on that the smartphones including V10 need better implementations you are wrong. Other smartphones, sure, the V10 does not....and to compare the V10 against Fiio X1 would be absurd, because V10 sound quality is into mid-tier DAP and not low tier devices.

The problems with V10 is that it needs tweaks for the high quality ESS DAC to function with 3rd party app, and to trigger the amp high gain modes. Complains all you want, there is no phones like that in the US market. Once the V10 DAC works properly, it sound quality is competing agains mid tier DAP.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #2,242 of 7,916
I suppose the big problem is that most manufacturers have it back to front, relying on people buying third party earphones to make up the missing SQ, which in the head fi realm doesn't work...

The Sony Z5 cheats its way around this with DSP, the LG V10, as noted has the potential - other than that, you're running into flaky territory with unknown brands, or massive compromises elsewhere on the handset...

Now I'm on my third iPad (Pro this time around) I have to give kudos to those in Cupertino, they know how to get it right, if they could get the SQ of the iPad into their smaller devices, now that would be something to talk about.

These days I don't really feel the need to take my portable stack around with me, and that is a very positive outcome for this thread.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #2,243 of 7,916
I suppose the big problem is that most manufacturers have it back to front, relying on people buying third party earphones to make up the missing SQ, which in the head fi realm doesn't work...

The Sony Z5 cheats its way around this with DSP, the LG V10, as noted has the potential - other than that, you're running into flaky territory with unknown brands, or massive compromises elsewhere on the handset...

Now I'm on my third iPad (Pro this time around) I have to give kudos to those in Cupertino, they know how to get it right, if they could get the SQ of the iPad into their smaller devices, now that would be something to talk about.

These days I don't really feel the need to take my portable stack around with me, and that is a very positive outcome for this thread.

That would be the iPhone 6S. I agreed that the apple devices sound quality are great....but how come no removable microSD....and the iTunes library sync :frowning2:

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #2,246 of 7,916
gugman, 

I tried out the $200 iBasso DX50 against my now former Sony Xperia Z3 phone, and to me, I could NOT tell a difference between the two. So the DX50 was returned. It wasn't until I spent another $100 on the Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 that I finally noticed a difference. So for players I wouldn't go below $300

Hope that helps!

It's not a matter of price range and some dedicated daps below $300 sounds better than some above $1000 (...e.g Shozy Alien...) , Ibasso DX50 is not one of the best in this range neither, I invite you to try more stuffs before giving such statements.

The Z3 sounds very very good for sure, but it lacks the micro details that a simple Fiio X1 can produce. Reason : the Fiio has a real 24/192khz Dac with a real amplifier.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #2,247 of 7,916
Ok dude. lol

I've tried the Cozoy Astrapi, and it WAS impressive. But it wasn't better than my $300 Oppo HA-2. But my HA-2 sounded as good as the $550 Celsus Sound Companion One, and one guy on here said it even sounded as good as the Chord Mojo. So I guess it all just depends. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #2,248 of 7,916
  Ok dude. lol

I've tried the Cozoy Astrapi, and it WAS impressive. But it wasn't better than my $300 Oppo HA-2. But my HA-2 sounded as good as the $550 Celsus Sound Companion One, and one guy on here said it even sounded as good as the Chord Mojo. So I guess it all just depends. 

Ya, it doesn't sound as good as the mojo. Mojo is a seriously impressive device; might be game changing in the long run.

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #2,250 of 7,916
I dunno bavnick. Guy told me it sounded the same as Mojo. Just saying the HA-2 rocks! 

Listening to the mojo day after day really starts to show you what Chord has achieved with the mojo. One or two listens will not impress, but spend some time with it and you might start to question what other companies are putting out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back