Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2,206 of 7,916
  I had a Sony Z5 Compact and though it was not as bad as say a LG G4 they were not good either. I am currently using a V10 (single Sim German version) and my old iPhone 5. Its pretty hard to get good android phones with good sound quality.

The V10 is pretty good but the problem I have with it is that I listen to a lot of old recording of classical music from the 70s and 80s (the Karajan box for example). And some of these recordings are just not very loud. As a result I cant really enjoy them outside on busy streets with my V10. The old iPhone 5 on the other hard is very loud.

I unplug the left earpiece on my IEM's right now, and it put's the amp into high output mode.  I have a short, 6" cable, coming from China soon, that I will plug in, trick the amp into high output mode, then plug my IEM's into that cable.  It's short, fits in my IEM's case, and will solve my problem of fear of wearing out the connector on my left earpiece.  

Check your HiFi DAC button when you plug in.  If it says it's in "Normal" mode, you're not using the built in amp.  You have to get it to either the "High Impedence" setting, or the "External device" mode, to gain use of the built in amp.  There was a post in the V10 thread, if you're rooted, on how to boost the volume by going into the "mixer_paths.xml" file, and changing a couple settings in there.  

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #2,208 of 7,916
Thanks for all the tips people, appreciate it :)

one more question: I like to buy a pair of over headphones for my V10 and maybe also for my S7 in a while (if they bring out a dual sim that is).

I am torn between the cheap AKG K545 for €100 or the AKG K845 Bluetooth. The AKG K845 for €250 also with my TV. What do you guy think, is the price difference worth it? I have never used BT headphones with high end music players, will there be a lot of quality loss?

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #2,209 of 7,916

one more question: I like to buy a pair of over headphones for my V10 and maybe also for my S7 in a while (if they bring out a dual sim that is).

I am torn between the cheap AKG K545 for €100 or the AKG K845 Bluetooth. The AKG K845 for €250 also with my TV. What do you guy think, is the price difference worth it? I have never used BT headphones with high end music players, will there be a lot of quality loss?

S7 always has dual sims. The second sim slot is universal which can fit either MicroSD or a Sim. Headphones for V10 would best be MdR-Z7 :)

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #2,210 of 7,916

Bluetooth headphones won't use the DAC in the phone at all, they have their own built-in DAC, so it's kind of pointless. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #2,211 of 7,916

I would recommend the Sony range (from Z3 up to X performance) and the HTC One 8-9 models, where as especially the Sony ones have really good BT interfaces (called "LDAC").

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #2,212 of 7,916

I would recommend the Sony range (from Z3 up to X performance) and the HTC One 8-9 models, where as especially the Sony ones have really good BT interfaces (called "LDAC").

Of course you then need to buy headphones that support LDAC, not just any bluetooth headphones

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #2,213 of 7,916
Hi guys,

I need a new personal martphone. My ols iphone 4 is not very fast but I really like the way it sounds.

I live in Portugal and can go up to 500 euros but would prefer to spend much less.

I look for something small, thin and well built.

What would you recommend?

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #2,214 of 7,916
Small thin spend less would be vivo x5max or vivo xshot.

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #2,216 of 7,916
Apart from sound, please help review on camera quality as well cuz it is the main part samsung always take care of. It is still not avail in my country. :)

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #2,217 of 7,916
Apart from sound, please help review on camera quality as well cuz it is the main part samsung always take care of. It is still not avail in my country. :)

On Headfi we only care about sound quality my friend ! Try another dedicated forum to picture quality, www.gsmarena.com is your best bet as they mainly focus on smartphone cameras

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #2,219 of 7,916
  Tomorrow I book a samsung s7, I'm going to listen "flac" music with headphones grado sr225e, s7 should have a dac Lucky CS47L91, will equal to dac saber of lg v10?

I have to disappoint you, but there is no way that the DAC in the S7 is better than the one that is found in the V10.
The V10 is better, especially if you trick the phone into high gain mode.

In almost every other aspect, the S7(edge) is much better, I give them that.
  The quality of s7 of sound is good 'it is like the lg v10

It is mostly good, but not better than the V10 in HiFi mode. (In normal mode, I presume it is a bit better.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back