Best Setup for < $700
Jul 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pichu

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so right now I have some plain Ultrasone HFI 780's, with a Fiio e17 for my portable setup. I am looking for a setup at home. I will be using Foobar with FLAC Audio Files. I need a setup with a dac amp and headphones. I listen to electroci, DnB, trance, dubstep, you get the idea.

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:
Ok, so right now I have some plain Ultrasone HFI 780's, with a Fiio e17 for my portable setup. I am looking for a setup at home. I will be using Foobar with FLAC Audio Files. I need a setup with a dac amp and headphones. I listen to electroci, DnB, trance, dubstep, you get the idea.

With that kind of budget, I would go with either Sennheiser HD650 or HD600 with an amp like Matrix M-Stage. And if you still have some decent money left, you could throw the rest at a DAC in this price range.
By the way, I don't think this is really a "summit-fi" :p

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 17
BTW your less than symbol is backwards making it a more than symbol thus your title says best headphone under an unlimited budget. And $700 is definitely not summit fi some of the guys up at that level justify paying that much for just a cable or something.

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
700 for headphone =amp isnt high end?

Not in 2012 ir isn't. Audez'e and Sennheiser changed all that, and the amp makers obliged with 2-5K amps. We now have Fostex charging over 1K for a pair of headphones - thats showbiz. You and I really need to spend more money - a lot more. 

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 17
700 for headphone =amp isnt high end?
These days Summit-Fi is usually 1500-5000 for headphones or amps. All electrostats are welcome here and the Koss ESP-950 setup has been found for as low as 650. http://www.head-fi.org/t/581491/koss-esp-950-thread

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 17
That isnt the worst part - demand is so strong for many of the amps that, even if you DO have the money, you go on a six-month long waiting list. That's like paying for an 'unforgettable experience' only to be kneed in the groin.   
eek.gif

Whatever you might read about 'this economy' in your corner of the world, it doesnt seem to apply here. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

How about AKG K550 headphones and another E17 for the home setup.
That's way under your budget.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 17
Based on what I’ve used: here’s two options

Grado PS500 - use your existing E17 as amp/dac. alternately get the alessandro MS2. less bass and soundstage/refinement, but half the price.

Sennheiser HD600 (or HD650, if you can swing it or get it used) - use E17 for dac, get Schiit Asgard for Amp

Oh, and while I have not heard it, you may want to look into the Hifiman HE-400. it’s an ortho with not so hard amping requirements. there’s a thread with good info on it here.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 17
HRT Music Streamer II ($150)
Schiit Valhalla ($350)
Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm ($250)

Total: $750

Quote:

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
How about AKG K550 headphones and another E17 for the home setup.
That's way under your budget.

Again, what is this doing in 'summit-fi' ? I'm not being a snob here - I dont even own a pair of Audez'e cans, which must surely be the very definition of abject poverty in 2012 - but if we are to aspire to a 'summit', if you tell me that said summit consists of a pair of mid-level AKGs and a portable Fiio amp - regardless of how good that sounds to you - I will immediately start putting any disposable income towards a better speaker rig. If that is the summit, I'll stay in the valley. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #15 of 17
Again, what is this doing in 'summit-fi' ? I'm not being a snob here - I dont even own a pair of Audez'e cans, which must surely be the very definition of abject poverty in 2012 - but if we are to aspire to a 'summit', if you tell me that said summit consists of a pair of mid-level AKGs and a portable Fiio amp - regardless of how good that sounds to you - I will immediately start putting any disposable income towards a better speaker rig. If that is the summit, I'll stay in the valley. 

It's not. It got moved to the correct sub forum. No summit headphones getting listed here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back