Best overall heaphone? (under $200)
Mar 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Anonymous User

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for an overall headphone for under the $200 mark. I need a headphone that can deliver on pretty much ever spectrum of music as I listen to pretty much all genres. For some examples I listen to very low bass rap songs, I listen to some electronic music like Skrillex or Deadmau5, I also listen to artists such as In Flames, Disturbed, and some classic rock like AC/DC and Kiss. As you can see I listen to a variety of sounds. What I'm trying to get at is I want a headphone that can give me solid overall bass reproduction; I don't need thumping bass as I know if you want thumping bass and top notch sound it can get very expensive. I also want great overall high-end production for artists like In Flames and the like. Any suggestions? 

- As a side note I've done a little research into the Sennheiser 518's and they seem like they'd give me what I want, however I'm very new to the DJ/Pro variety of headphones, I've basically known Skullcandy so far.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 24
Audio Technica M-50 is usually always under $130 on Amazon and is pretty solid for the money.

If you can find it under $200, the ATH-A900X sounds incredible and can provide the bass when you need it.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 24
Actually thumping bass is not very expensive. Very few high end headphones have thumping bass; most of them are more neutral. Many audiophiles consider too much of a bass boost to be a trashy sound signature, so the market for bassy headphones is more consumer based. The Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohms might work well for you. They're very comfortable and durable in addition to sounding good, and will improve significantly with an amp.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
Actually thumping bass is not very expensive. Very few high end headphones have thumping bass; most of them are more neutral. Many audiophiles consider too much of a bass boost to be a trashy sound signature, so the market for bassy headphones is more consumer based. The Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohms might work well for you. They're very comfortable and durable in addition to sounding good, and will improve significantly with an amp.

Quote:
Audio Technica M-50 is usually always under $130 on Amazon and is pretty solid for the money.

If you can find it under $200, the ATH-A900X sounds incredible and can provide the bass when you need it.

+1
1. Audio Technica M-50
2. Beyerdynamic DT770
3. Audio Technica ATH-A900X

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 24
ATH-M50's bass is rather bloated and it is horribly squished together. For all genre listening, the HD558 are good for open headphone or like others said, HP100 for closed. 

Hope this help!
Billson

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 24
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely need a closed headphone as a lot of my listening is on the go and I don't want to annoy everyone around me. I mainly use my iPod for listening so will any of these need an amplifier to sound good?

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely need a closed headphone as a lot of my listening is on the go and I don't want to annoy everyone around me. I mainly use my iPod for listening so will any of these need an amplifier to sound good?

I stand by my suggestion of the SoundMAGIC HP100.  They handle pretty much any genre well due to neutrality, with amazing clarity and a better soundstage than pretty much any closed-back south of $300.  They are closed and have decent isolation, and they are easy enough to drive (32 Ohms).  Of course, you will definitely benefit from an amplifier, but you don't NEED one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back