Best open all around headphones under $250
Jul 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #16 of 117
Quote:
And I have to point out, that I neither mentioned the HD598, which is actually far superior in any aspect compared to the K/Q70X, nor is the HD598 veiled. Actually, there is a 10k treble-spike, while the K701 is out of control. The earlier batches of the HD650 were a bit cold, but that doesn't affect the HD598... you know, it's a different phone.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf
... the HD 598 is actually a pretty good can.

I was talking about the Q701--not the K701 (2 versions earlier).  Have you spent some significant time with either/both the AKG's or are you just reading graphs?

You really think that the HD 598 beats the Q701 (or K702 for that matter) for clarity?  If so, you are in a distinct minority of those who have spent much time with these cans.

Both the HD 600 & 650 are entirely different animals than the HD 598--from release dates to specs to price, etc.--and most importantly with regard to how they sound.

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #17 of 117
in the following order:

yupp, 
nope,
yupp, 

and, while they might sell for a lower price I regard them over the HD650 in comfort, enjoyment and detail, and over the HD600 in enjoyment.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 117
At first I thought you meant "screamo and heavy metal" and was wondering why Grado hadn't been suggested yet (not that I buy the "Grados are for rock" myths, but they're a popular choice). :xf_eek:

Anyways, in terms of what you're describing, look at the following:

Ultrasone HFI-2400 (they aren't harsh up top, trust me)
AKG K701 or Q701
Grado SR-225i
or the HD 650 that you've already mentioned.

I would not get caught up in generalizing all open headphones into one category - there are some very distinct differences between various models (for example: I own three presently, they are not really similar to one another aside from all sounding "good" to me). As an all-rounder, I like any of the above, but the HFI-2400 are probably the best price/performance/comfort package at <$200, the SR-225 are next up, and then the AKGs. The Sennheisers at $500 kind of spoil the pot (when they were ~$300 that was a different story - the 701s are truly on their level).

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #19 of 117
Quote:
At first I thought you meant "screamo and heavy metal" and was wondering why Grado hadn't been suggested yet (not that I buy the "Grados are for rock" myths, but they're a popular choice).
redface.gif

Anyways, in terms of what you're describing, look at the following:
Ultrasone HFI-2400 (they aren't harsh up top, trust me)
AKG K701 or Q701
Grado SR-225i
or the HD 650 that you've already mentioned.
I would not get caught up in generalizing all open headphones into one category - there are some very distinct differences between various models (for example: I own three presently, they are not really similar to one another aside from all sounding "good" to me). As an all-rounder, I like any of the above, but the HFI-2400 are probably the best price/performance/comfort package at <$200, the SR-225 are next up, and then the AKGs. The Sennheisers at $500 kind of spoil the pot (when they were ~$300 that was a different story - the 701s are truly on their level).

The Grados are not good all arounders. Their anemic bass and lean sound makes it limited to genres (most rock, acoustics, metal, etc.) Ultrasone... I do not know. I know Tyll at Inner Fidelity regard most of the Ultrasone phones to be overpriced in general. Never heard them though. The HD 650 is really something you have to listen to before you buy them imo. They are very colored and it's a matter of taste whether one will like them. 

The HD598 I mentioned does not need an amp to sound good (though amp benefits greatly). That's why it's technically the cheapest option here. Unless.. does the topic creator already have an amp? Can't scroll up since I'm on the second page. I forget. 

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #20 of 117
yes I will be using a Fiio e17 with them. So now I have second thoguhts on the 650??? So have you guys thought of a clear winner? I listen to singers like
Eric Clapton
Santana
skrillex
Nero
Datsik
Luther Vandross
Some mainstream hip hop ( lil wayne, drake , kanye )
acoustic

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #21 of 117
Quote:
yes I will be using a Fiio e17 with them. So now I have second thoguhts on the 650??? So have you guys thought of a clear winner? I listen to singers like
Eric Clapton
Santana
skrillex
Nero
Datsik
Luther Vandross
acoustic

There are no clear winners for everyone.

Get the 2400 if you want slam and bass; get the Q701 if you want clarity and the ability to pick out each musical voice; get the 598 if you want balanced velvet smoothness with the Senn veil; get the more expensive HD 650 (or 600) if you want what many people thought (often along with the DT 880) to be the best dynamic cans of their time--not too long ago.

Get the amp that will power the can you pick.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #22 of 117
The Grados are not good all arounders.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The "Grados are for rock" is an unfortunate type-casting with a history in print journalism from maybe 10-15 years ago. Many people enjoy their Grados with a large variety of music and it's a dis-service to the brand to keyhole them into "rock only." I'm curious though, which Grados have you heard?

Also, I'll add that imho Ultrasones excel at metal far beyond what a Grado can do. The bass isn't really "anemic" unless you're used to modern bass bloat as a signature of quality (this is just a result of shifting tastes - even modern speakers are moving in this direction; I'm a bit older, and just hear it as a lot of clatter - perhaps if I had been raised listening to hip-hop I'd feel differently (was just having this discussion in another thread come to think of it!) :)). It extends appropriately well, at least compared to similar headphones (like the K701 and various Sony high-end models that you can't buy anymore). The HFI-2400 are *much* bassier, even surpassing many closed headphones, true to their Ultrasone nature.

Ultrasone... I do not know. Never heard them though.

So why talk about them?

The HD598 I mentioned does not need an amp to sound good (though amp benefits greatly). That's why it's technically the cheapest option here. Unless.. does the topic creator already have an amp? Can't scroll up since I'm on the second page. I forget. 

The argument over "amp benefits greatly" is fairly subjective - technically speaking, nothing mentioned except the HD 650 need any special consideration at all in light of modern portable players and computers, and the HD 650 only need a thought or two given to their impedance. With a conventional hi-fi component, they are no problem, the same goes for most modern soundcards and similar devices. Most dedicated headphone amplifiers are overpriced tripe.

Eric Clapton
Santana
skrillex
Nero
Datsik
Luther Vandross
acoustic

For Clapton, Santana, Vandross, and other acoustic material I'm a big fan of the K701 or SR-225 (depending on what you "like" about those performers, I'd pick one or the other - the 701 have a bigger/better soundstage, the 225 have a more forward presentation). For Skrillex, Nero, and Datsik, I like all of the sets I suggested (I would probably personally preference the K701, but I think the more mainstream choice would be the HFI-2400; most people who like bassy music tend to lean towards a bassy presentation), for hip-hop I *really* like the Sennheisers, and the AKGs as a close second.

I think the 650 are a fantastic all-rounder (the HD 600 should also be considered, as they tend to cost less, and the 580, if you can find one used), and would do everything you've listed there exceptionally well. They would (imho) excel with performers like Kanye West, and perhaps be somewhat withdrawn or overly polite with Nero or Skrillex, but no worse for the wear. If you want more bass, the HFI-2400 get the nod, if you want a bit more analytical sound, the K701, and a more forward presentation, the SR-225 or SR-325 (I'm partial to the 225 because they're more comfortable and less bright, but both are good - I should qualify that I haven't heard the very latest 325 revision so maybe they've tamed it a bit (they've re-done this one a few times since the original goldies)). If the 598s are anything like their predecessors, they would probably be acceptable all-rounders as well, but not to the level of the 580/6x0 or 70x series cans, but for all I know they're magical world-beaters camouflaged with "European sports car" trim. :xf_eek:

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #23 of 117
well I already have the Ultrasoe 580 for dubstep. So I think I will go for the Grado SR 225 or 325 for my acoustic, rock, classic rock listening? For clarity and soundstage 325 or 225?

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #24 of 117
well I already have the Ultrasoe 580 for dubstep. So I think I will go for the Grado SR 225 or 325 for my acoustic, rock, classic rock listening? For clarity and soundstage 325 or 225?

The 325 are on the threshold of being too bright imho (they're the brightest Grado and one of the brightest headphones out there). The 325 do exceed your stated budget though, so if that's a hard limit, the 225 are the choice (the 225 are $200, the 325 are $295).

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #27 of 117
is it worth it though the extra $100? Can the highs be tamed through burn in?

Burn-in is fairly subjective, and basically if you don't like the way they sound out of the box, you won't like them after 500 hours - if you do like them, they can only improve. When I say they're "bright" I don't mean "harsh" mind you. They're along the lines of the MDR-SA5000 or other daylighters.

I'd also take KG's suggestion into account (I haven't heard the MS-2, but I'll take his word for it because he's not the only one saying it).

Sort of unrelated:
You have the PRO900 in your signature. Have you considered their open brothers, the PRO2900 - they're fairly competent all-rounders and overall headphones in their own right.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #29 of 117
yes I like the sound of the pro 900 and i am looking for an open headphone, but not over $500 for an open

Fair enough.

Based on your relative satisfaction with Ultrasones, I'd say try the 325s. They shouldn't seem dramatically brighter by contrast. Either that, or the HFI-2400 (to stick with Ultrasones and their features). The sound-staging between S-LOGIC and a Grado will be *very* different (imho both are good, really depends on mood as far as which one is "better" at any given point).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back