Best open all around headphones under $250
Jul 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #106 of 117
If I wanted a pleather padded headphone, I'd have kept my D7000. That's the only reason I don't have them anymore. The Mad Dogs are pleather padded, meaning that no chance in hell I'm gonna try them until a velour pad replacement is available that doesn't hamper sound quality.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #108 of 117
You're speaking to the choir, my friend. If it ain't velour, I'm just gonna ignore. :D

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #109 of 117
You're speaking to the choir, my friend. If it ain't velour, I'm just gonna ignore. :D

Escaine. Nothing else compares. :p

But yeah, the Mad Dogs are closed and pleather - they'll get warm like most headphones of that type. I think the 701 are a good suggestion too, especially given the budget constraints. $200-$225 isn't uncommon, and they're really stellar.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #110 of 117
I love the Q701. It's missing very little. Could use more bass for my taste, but they are great all rounders when paired with the right amps.

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #112 of 117
Quote:

Don't feel bad or alone.  The Q701 is one of my favorite (here it comes) "mid-fi" can.  I love its clarity and it allowing me to hear each individual musical voice in the context of an excellent sound stage.

The HE-500 is great.  I have not found any negative aspects to it, except that it, being a planar can, is heavy and requires a substantial amp to power it.

Currently my K701 is driven by my Schiit Lyr which is know for having (my favourite word here) gobs of power.. ive also heard it drives them really well and with excellent synergy, which additionally encouraged me to consider them. Also the sound signature.. excellent detail and musicality at the same time. Tyll prefers the HE-500 to the HE-6 and HD-800 (i think)

Regarding the K701.. i think that different amps can drive them, but you really need to put effort into finding one. Overall, they are not worth the effort in my opinion, but I got very lucky with the Lyr. I think its probably the best amp for them. I really cant see the fatiguing sound that SS stuff gives... they are actually good even for rock for the first time. If there is any K701 enthusiasts.. I encourage them to try my combo.

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #113 of 117
Quote:

Currently my K701 is driven by my Schiit Lyr which is know for having (my favourite word here) gobs of power.. ive also heard it drives them really well and with excellent synergy, which additionally encouraged me to consider them. Also the sound signature.. excellent detail and musicality at the same time. Tyll prefers the HE-500 to the HE-6 and HD-800 (i think)

Regarding the K701.. i think that different amps can drive them, but you really need to put effort into finding one. Overall, they are not worth the effort in my opinion, but I got very lucky with the Lyr. I think its probably the best amp for them. I really cant see the fatiguing sound that SS stuff gives... they are actually good even for rock for the first time. If there is any K701 enthusiasts.. I encourage them to try my combo.

The problem for most is that the Lyr is almost exactly 2x the street price of the Q701 (surprisingly the the older K701/2 cost about $40 to $50 more).

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #114 of 117
Quote:

The problem for most is that the Lyr is almost exactly 2x the street price of the Q701 (surprisingly the the older K701/2 cost about $40 to $50 more).

Well thats definitely true... however I got my K701 for $350... cos in Europe they are quite expensive. Also I bought the Lyr and Bifrost as basis for future upgrade of cans, or maybe even intention to sell the K701.. but eventually I really liked them together.

The Lyr is hideously powerful.. it looks like a polite little amp but its actually a monster. My K242 HD survived the Lyr at full power and I still have no idea how!! (my friend accidentally maxed it) Proportional to their impedance, I think they got something like 4 watts/channel... no can can handle that. It also has decent quality for the price and paired with the Bifrost, it makes the ultimate entry level rig. I am also very curious how does it work as a preamp and what can I use it for.

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #115 of 117
What do you mean "what can I use it for"? :confused_face_2:

Regarding the 701s in general, as I've said before - I don't think a lot of the power myths are really true. They're a touch insensitive, but they don't require 4W or anything nuts like that. FWIW I've tried them on everything from my PDP to a 200wpc amplifier, and don't feel they're dramatically benefited by the additional hardware. They're very good, and I think (along with the SR-225) they are absolutely competitive with headphones that retail for much more (like those from Beyer, Sennheiser, etc). I'm not saying go dump your equipment in a lake mind you, I just don't see them as very hard to properly drive.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #116 of 117
Quote:
ok well i most likely will get these at the end of january at whatever price they are at................. is the fiio e17 fine for this ors hould i upgrade to the o2+odac combo for $300?

the headphone marketplace (and associated equipment such as amplifiers) is expanding very, very quickly

it's likely that by January, we'll see some very attractive new products

You might want to pick up a solid pair of mid price headphones for now
Grado's and Beyerdynamic's hold their prices well, though of course that's not a guarantee

Have yourself some nice cans to listen to for the next 6 months...
when January comes around, you can sell & upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back