Best iems under 150!
Sep 18, 2012 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Penguin1026

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I'm new here, and I'm looking for the best iem I can get for under 150. I need them to be durable, I would love to have a detachable cord, but it's not a deal breaker. I listen to mostly rock and electronic, but I listen occasionally to other genres. If there are any ?'s let me know.
Thanks for your help!

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 39
for under 150 there are several deals to choose from. Gr07 and R-50 are options to consider.
Also something like TF10 is suitable for rock as well
Personally I have not owned neither of those but read quite good positive responses.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 39
Well, yello, I was thinking of the gro7 or the tf 10 maybe. The problem with the tf10 is that it seems to have a lot of cord issues and durability problems. Haven't exactly read anything abou the Gro7, but now I might. I have never heard of the Dba-02, would you mind giving a reason or review or something.
Thanks for the replies!

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 39
It's the best sounding iem in that price range for me, and it is very well built. The sound is balanced but slightly warm.

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 39
Dba02 Mk2 is another one very great IEM but price is above 150US
if you could stretch budget to 200 or so you can check several other IEM. The one I owned and recommend is Ortofon e-Q5
they are usually priced at 250  but running on sale at Musicaacoustics
e-Q5 is very superb IEMs,  there are several great reviews on headfi. Also dba02mk2 has nice sound but a bit too analytical to my taste.
e-Q5 handles well electronic music; has a nice punchy base too

Sep 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 39
Very nice to hear about tthe ortofon iems. I have read about them a lot, and they do seem nice. Not sure about the price jump though. If their really worth it, maybe I can push the budget up to 200. If this makes a difference in the playing field, then let me know of any other ones.
 Thanks!

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:
Im curious if maybe it wold make more sense to order one of the cheaper custom iems, or to order like the e-q5 or the dba-02?

If customs are a consideration, be aware of silicone ear molds (audiologist) and shipping costs.

I own both the GR07 and the Fischer Dba02 mkii.  The fischer is by far the most detailed of the two, but if you like low frequency, the GR07 is your phone.  I prefer the fischer amped with a 8dB low frequency boost.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 39
Cosmic Ears Flex http://cosmicears.com/shop/flex/ would be a very good choice. For a little over 150 could get detachable cable and custom ear molds. 

Also I have some Monster Turbine Pro's (the original Gold version) and they are awesome for rock and electronic, they also lasted a long time of daily use in a Machine shop, I wasn't easy on them and they lasted over 2 years. They are still good I just need to recable them. 

Hope you find some that you like! 

-Nick

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 39
Thank you for the recommendation! I currently think that I may have to push the budget up a little more since the better options are more expensive. I guess this is why audiophilia is so expensive. Thanks for the input!

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 39
Stretch it $50 more and get the e-Q5, they're great with rock and electronic music.  If not the R-50 is good as long as your not a bass head, sounds a lot like the DBA-02 but with a bit more bass and less harsh highs but they still have a good amount of sparkle, personally I think both sound better than the GR07 and are 2 of the best you can get around your price range.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation! I currently think that I may have to push the budget up a little more since the better options are more expensive. I guess this is why audiophilia is so expensive. Thanks for the input!

It can be but you can find very good IEM's like the e-Q5 that can sound just as good as ones costing even twice as much imo.  

One more around the $200 mark you might look at is the Final Audio Heaven IV, great bass, unique detailed mids and a spacious soundstage like the e-Q5.  Between the e-Q5 and Heaven IV I feel the e-Q5 is a bit better over all with a more balanced and brighter sound but for a more relaxed warmer sound the Heaven IV wouldn't be a bad choice.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

If you have the audiophilia disease, and by all accounts you do, you're about to find out how deep the rabbit hole goes.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back