Best IEM tips?
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #451 of 3,311
Forgot to ask: What size do you recommend for both tips? Or does it work with all sizes, as long as they're both the same size.

around same size or slightly smaller foam size, I use ML size spiral dots and put in M size memory foam inside. too big inner foam can cause discomfort, feels like too much pressure from inside the eartips

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #452 of 3,311
around same size or slightly smaller foam size, I use ML size spiral dots and put in M size memory foam inside. too big inner foam can cause discomfort, feels like too much pressure from inside the eartips
Much appreciated. Answered just in time before I ordered both the same size :)

I tried searching for the comply foam S tips and found S-400 and S-500. Any specific ones in particular you prefer?

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #453 of 3,311
Much appreciated. Answered just in time before I ordered both the same size :)

I tried searching for the comply foam S tips and found S-400 and S-500. Any specific ones in particular you prefer?

Im not sure about differences between S400 and S500, maybe just different size for different fit of earphone nozzle

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #456 of 3,311
Excellent. Is there one specific diameter size that will work with the spiral dots? Or would any of them work

i use S400 bvut also not wide bore, i think any size will do since you can stretch it up

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #457 of 3,311
i use S400 bvut also not wide bore, i think any size will do since you can stretch it up
True, but stretching the core will increase the re-bounce (does this even make sense?) so it might decrease the amount of expanded foam which might result in lesser comfort.
This is just my experience when messing around with both comply, dekoni, and symbio. If the foam press too hard (dense foam like symbio or too compressed foam) then it might cause ear pain.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #458 of 3,311
True, but stretching the core will increase the re-bounce (does this even make sense?) so it might decrease the amount of expanded foam which might result in lesser comfort.
This is just my experience when messing around with both comply, dekoni, and symbio. If the foam press too hard (dense foam like symbio or too compressed foam) then it might cause ear pain.

you're correct, but isn't that the rebounce effect will applied to bore neck (pressed the nozzle) not our canals, i'm not so sure though, but 1 thing for sure if the foam inside is too big, it will give pressure to outer side which is our ear canals and might cause discomfort.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #459 of 3,311
you're correct, but isn't that the rebounce effect will applied to bore neck (pressed the nozzle) not our canals, i'm not so sure though, but 1 thing for sure if the foam inside is too big, it will give pressure to outer side which is our ear canals and might cause discomfort.

it should apply equal force to both the bore and the flange (the outside thingy of the eartips ?). Difference is the nozzle can't feel the pain after a while :)

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #460 of 3,311
it should apply equal force to both the bore and the flange (the outside thingy of the eartips ?). Difference is the nozzle can't feel the pain after a while :)

on second or third thoughts, maybe yeah after all they are using more material on small bore size and if we stretch it up means more volume that spread out. At first i thought memory foam is the special foam that if we push on 1 side, it only effected on that area, delivering only small pressure to other area unlike normal foam, like a memory foam pillow. but yeah on second thoughts still give pressure to outer side.

sorry for out of topic, so @Omega139 better choose foam that closer in size.

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #461 of 3,311
Feb 16, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #462 of 3,311
Hey man,

Following up with you on the mod. I tried doing it but the comply had a plastic tube thing in the middle that prevented me from putting it on the spiral dots. Any input?

just gently and slowly push the foam down (circular motion around the tube). It's hard to describe but it's like trying to undress a tight dress (god helps me). Work around the tube and slowly :)

you should see/feel the foam slowly move away/apart from the tube

p/s: this is just how I did it since the core of comply is too small, couldn't fit into spiral wide bore; so I take the comply tube out, leaving just the foam to fit onto spiral (the foam shouldn't tear)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #463 of 3,311
Hey man,

Following up with you on the mod. I tried doing it but the comply had a plastic tube thing in the middle that prevented me from putting it on the spiral dots. Any input?

yeah just peel it slowly with your nail..

just gently and slowly push the foam down (circular motion around the tube). It's hard to describe but it's like trying to undress a tight dress (god helps me). Work around the tube and slowly :)

you should see/feel the foam slowly move away/apart from the tube

p/s: this is just how I did it since the core of comply is too small, couldn't fit into spiral wide bore; so I take the comply tube out, leaving just the foam to fit onto spiral (the foam shouldn't tear)

lol at undress a tight dress

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #465 of 3,311
Man, I can't do the mod for the life of me. I managed to remove the inner plastic tube, but the foam becomes squashed. Any tips?

Squash it flat so the hole remains and push it on? Then let it expand to fill the silicone tip.
Slide it onto a 'pin punch', chopstick, or other cylinder like object of a size slightly larger than the core it's going onto and slide it off directly onto the new tip?
Use very small needle nose, hemostat or maybe even blunt tweezers work the foam onto the silicone tip core.

Maybe even a combination of all three...

I lucked out when trying this on my Westones T100 silicone tips, as foam T400 tips slide right onto them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back