Best IEM tips?
Jan 19, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #421 of 3,300
I went Amazon. Jp last pair M size just place an order. Aroma Audio IEMs using this and it was a good fit with the FH5

I bought aroma early and loved the tips, googled for the brand and now i am using it for all my iem.

I tried comply, spiral dot, spinfit, symbio, jvc, sony but they all changed the sound too much

Jan 20, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #422 of 3,300
Made myself some adapters to use T400 (5mm) size tips that I already had on my Westones, will also work for Ety or Shures.

#4 teflon bushing
.199" O.D.
.123" I.D.

Had to ream the bushing out slightly with a small round diamond file to about .125-.126" so it is a slip fit, but not too loose. Need to get a fingernail under them or twist and pull to remove from the IEM. Pushes the tip 2-3mm deeper into the ear canal, which may help or hurt fit depending on your ear canal.

20190118_183526 (1) (1).jpg

These adapters are cut out of a 1/8" polyethlene hose connector using a razor blade. Nothing else needed. Cut about 1/3 of the way down the last barb on each side, then in half.

20190119_190446.jpg

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #423 of 3,300
So, if anybody has a superior long and deep inserting isolation foam tip to Comply P-series, I'd love to find out about it. Not a single silicon, rubber or gel tip does it for me.

Westone has some longer foam tips, they are also much more durable and not porous. If you use the small diameter 3mm/t100 size tips, I'd recommend trying them.

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #424 of 3,300
Oh yeah youre right, i forgot to mention that you need the foam size half/1 size smaller than the silicone tips. For me, i go with spiral dots ML and put comply s type size M inside it. THe comply foam isnt so stiff
and yes, you can compress it before insertion, and let it forming back in your ear canal
Thanks for the clarification. So if I use same size then the pushing force will be higher like symbio. Interesting...

I only managed to get S100 M size and Spiral M size as well. Couldn't find any small Comply S series.

I'll update later when I do your mod :)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #425 of 3,300
Since many like hybrid tips and there have been a few posts about making their own with decored foams, I figured I may as well try and see if I like them.

Used my westone starlines and some generic ae foams. The small t400 size foams fits perfectly without decoring in my medium starlines, which saved me some effort (that and my t100 size generic foams haven't arrived yet).

I'm not a huge fan of silicone ear tips, the vacuum or suction effect bothers me. Otherwise the comfort is ok, a bit more pressure/expansion obviously due to the foam providing additional support. Not in a bad way as it doesn't hurt or cause discomfort. It's just different and has more isolation.

20190120_225311.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #426 of 3,300
Does trimming the top of Comply P series help with the treble problem? How about the Ts/Tsx series?

I find them to be most comfortable but I miss the treble and was wondering if trimming is worth it or just get the Ts series.

Jan 22, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #427 of 3,300
Does trimming the top of Comply P series help with the treble problem? How about the Ts/Tsx series?

I find them to be most comfortable but I miss the treble and was wondering if trimming is worth it or just get the Ts series.

It may. I use shorter shure olives or cheap AE foams which may not muffle sound as much as the sound doesn't pass through as much foam.

If you use T200 size tips have you seen the Flare Audio foam tips? They're more expensive than the Comply but seem to have a core design that may help.

https://www.flareaudio.com/products/audiophile-replacement-earfoams
1865-FLS-AUD-S_600x600.jpg

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #428 of 3,300
Hi everybody. My first post here :smile_phones: I just bought these:

MD-31394_20161122113237_989d1cb71dad2710.jpg

- Massdrop X Noble X IEMs based solely on reviews. I wanted sound on the smooth/polite side of neutral and wasn't disappointed. These are by far the best cans I ever owned and my second IEMs (first being cheap Sony some years ago). I spent a couple of hours recently setting EQ curves on my laptop (JRiver) and phone (Neutron). The sound is now really good although on both devices they needed some EQ-ing mainly to improve their low end which isn't that impressive (I'm not a bass head but I like even, well extended low frequencies). Yet I have a problem - I tried all 5 Noble tips that were in the Massdrop box and only the large silicone ones fit my ears (the large, black foam ones just fall out after a while). However after some experimenting I came to the conclusion that they might be not optimal either so I've browsed through the 29 pages of this thread :) The most recommended tips here seem to be Shure Olives or Black Foams and different Comply models. I will concentrate on the Shures as I don't fancy the idea of changing tips every 2 weeks or so which seems to be a necessity in case of the Complies. I wonder - first of all would the Sure tips fit my IEMs? And secondly are there any substantial differences between Olives and Black Foams as far as the sound quality and comfort are regarded (I can get both in Europe where I live)? I wouldn't mind a little more bass in particular low bass. Will appreciate your response, guys. Cheers.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #431 of 3,300
I wonder - first of all would the Sure tips fit my IEMs? And secondly are there any substantial differences between Olives and Black Foams as far as the sound quality and comfort are regarded (I can get both in Europe where I live)? I wouldn't mind a little more bass in particular low bass. Will appreciate your response, guys. Cheers.

Shure foams are meant for 3mm nozzles. If your iEM uses 100 size comply they will fit. Otherwise I'd recommend trying the cheap aliexpress foam tips or comply. I went from shure olives to the cheap ae foams recently and like them. They also seem to be washable. I've washed mine once or twice with no degradation so far.

I find foams more comfortable. I get the suction effect with any silicone tip and I can't stand it.

Foam tips in general accentuate the bass as they sometimes attenuate the mids/highs. Dependant on tip shape, opening dia, ear can, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #432 of 3,300
I tried a few different tips for my Sony IER-M9 and ended up with JVC Spiral Dots as my end game tips. They are fantastic and I recommend them to anyone. I have huge gaping ear holes and the large Spiral Dots are spot on for me. Spin Fits provided a good fit but thinned the sound too much. If the Spiral Dots change the sound it's for the better. The snout is super wide bore and shorter, putting the end of the IEM nozzle closer to the end of the Spiral Dot tip.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #433 of 3,300
Spiral Dots

Shure foams are meant for 3mm nozzles. If your iEM uses 100 size comply they will fit. Otherwise I'd recommend trying the cheap aliexpress foam tips or comply. I went from shure olives to the cheap ae foams recently and like them. They also seem to be washable. I've washed mine once or twice with no degradation so far.

I find foams more comfortable. I get the suction effect with any silicone tip and I can't stand it.

Foam tips in general accentuate the bass as they sometimes attenuate the mids/highs. Dependant on tip shape, opening dia, ear can, etc.

I tried a few different tips for my Sony IER-M9 and ended up with JVC Spiral Dots as my end game tips. They are fantastic and I recommend them to anyone. I have huge gaping ear holes and the large Spiral Dots are spot on for me. Spin Fits provided a good fit but thinned the sound too much. If the Spiral Dots change the sound it's for the better. The snout is super wide bore and shorter, putting the end of the IEM nozzle closer to the end of the Spiral Dot tip.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys, I will take them into consideration. If someone else would like to express his thoughts on the topic - I will appreciate it!

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #434 of 3,300
I'm looking for a set of wide boar eartips similar in size to the stock silicon tips (not the FA ones) that come with the Campfire Atlas but are more comfortable...any suggestions?

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #435 of 3,300
I'm looking for a set of wide boar eartips similar in size to the stock silicon tips (not the FA ones) that come with the Campfire Atlas but are more comfortable...any suggestions?

JVC spiral dots? or auvio, or symbio W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back