Best IEM tips?
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #481 of 3,313
Mar 26, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #482 of 3,313
Sharing my best tips so far, may not works for everyone since our canals are unique.

The real Best of two world is here!

JVC spiral dots known for producing best sound, wider soundstage, reducing harsh peaks, and cut mid bass bleed, however for some people its isolation isnt the best to offer.
I got idea from my sony hybrid, and I bought symbio W also, took out symbio W orange memory foam and put inside JVC spiral dots, works quite good actually but a bit stiff.
So i got my spare comply memory foam S series, the one with wider pore. cut it, and put into JVC spiral dots. The result is amazing!! you got the best from JVC spiral dots with extra isolation and extra fit but not too tight and smoothly molded to your ear canal shape.

Here my tutorial with picture :

very nice. how did you remove the core from the foam?

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #483 of 3,313
very nice. how did you remove the core from the foam?

just peel it slowly, its easier than its look, they just glued the foam on the plastic stem

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #486 of 3,313
Can someone help to know the measurement of Spiraldot and Acoustene medium eartips. I have spiral dots medium and thinking to buy AET07 medium.
if anyone having experience with both eartips, a brief review is appreciated. I like Sprialdots very much. Most of my earphone are wide bore and sprial dot best suited for me. Heard good things about Acoustene AET07 and just wanted to give it a try.

Apr 21, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #487 of 3,313
Can someone help to know the measurement of Spiraldot and Acoustene medium eartips. I have spiral dots medium and thinking to buy AET07 medium.
if anyone having experience with both eartips, a brief review is appreciated. I like Sprialdots very much. Most of my earphone are wide bore and sprial dot best suited for me. Heard good things about Acoustene AET07 and just wanted to give it a try.
Both are the same size. Aet07 will have slightly sharper treble

Apr 22, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #489 of 3,313
This is probably a silly question, but...in terms of comfort and sound is there any difference between genuine Sony Hybrid tips and the innumerable knockoffs?
yes. Sony Hybrid (new ones that come with IER line) are a bit softer and smoother to the touch. Brings out treble but not too much. Less bass though. Seal very well without sticking to your ears (if you get the size right). Isolation is OK
Here's my moded Sony Hyrbid with Shure olives foam. Best tips i've ever tried (Symbios hurt my ears or else they're probably my favorites)
20190422_094217.jpg 20190422_094117.jpg

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #490 of 3,313
yes. Sony Hybrid (new ones that come with IER line) are a bit softer and smoother to the touch. Brings out treble but not too much. Less bass though. Seal very well without sticking to your ears (if you get the size right). Isolation is OK
Here's my moded Sony Hyrbid with Shure olives foam. Best tips i've ever tried (Symbios hurt my ears or else they're probably my favorites)
How did you remove the plastic bore from the foam tip? I'm interested in trying this too.

May 13, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #492 of 3,313
After going through the usual names, I ended up with Azla SednaEarfit. Fits me like a glove and didn’t change the sound imo.

Before the Azlas, I was quite content with Spiral Dots and Ortofons. But after someone mentioned about the Azlas in one of the threads here I gotta try it out cause I’m a sucker for JDM tips.

May 13, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #493 of 3,313
How did you remove the plastic bore from the foam tip? I'm interested in trying this too.
you can also use Comply as well (and it's easier). Shure olive stick very hard to the plastic tube so I had to push down the foam in circular around the tube (push from the bottom of the tip toward the top). It took awhile

May 15, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #494 of 3,313
For those that have both is there much difference in symbios and spiral dots? I can get symbios easily, but getting spiral dots means ordering from penon which I haven't done before. Anything to look out for whilst ordering from Penon? Ie will I get a phone call from the bank, or will using paypal be ok?

Thanks

May 15, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #495 of 3,313
For those that have both is there much difference in symbios and spiral dots? I can get symbios easily, but getting spiral dots means ordering from penon which I haven't done before. Anything to look out for whilst ordering from Penon? Ie will I get a phone call from the bank, or will using paypal be ok?

Thanks

For me, these are quite different.

Symbios W (peeled) have a stiffer silicone, are slightly smaller in OD and the bore though on the larger side is smaller than the Spiral dot. The sound effect for me is that the mid bass is slightly accentuated, highs fairly controlled if not attenuated slightly and the soundstage is medium sized. In my opinion, the New Bees tips are darn near identical in sound and construction but use a softer silicone which for me is more comfortable for prolonged listening. The New Bees sizes are a tiny bit larger. I use the large tips in both.

The Spiral Dots have a softer silicone, hence are more comfortable than the Symbios and New Bees and the bore is larger with the Spiral dot pattern. The mid bass is flatter allowing more subbass presence and the highs extended giving a larger soundstage. I consider these tips more neutral with the largest soundstage of tips I've tried. The OD of these tips larger than the equivalent Symbios and New Bees sizes and for me are a better fit and provide a better seal.

With most IEMs, when new, if they have too much treble, I'll use a Sony Hybrid tip, MH755 tip or Symbio/New Bees to control the treble. I've found once burned in, if the treble subsides, i switch to the Spiral Dot and that will be my preferred to unless i want to kick up the low end and attenuate treble. You don't have to believe in burn in, but that's my experience and I have a couple data points supporting this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back