Best headphones under ~200 for the highs of trance and the lows of dubstep. ( Can't find thread on this. plz help)
Apr 25, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #16 of 131

Quote:
I feel that the 780s do most electronic / trance / dub music very well, They can get a bit bright for me on certain other genres though...

Awesome.  Thanks.  I think I'm going to take the plunge and go for it!

Quote:
Denon AH-D2000

Sick phones.  They're $290 though, and I bid on the ultrasones down to $180 from their usual 240, so I think I'm going to go with them.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #18 of 131
I've learn from my years of experience in e-shopping, first rule is to never make a purchase after midnight.. 90% of the stuff i buy after midnight i regret getting it or overpaying for it. 

The hfi dj1/580 and 780 is a good buy for trance music. they sale it on bhphotovideo for 137 and 150$ with free shipping in the US. so if you feel that you overpaid for them on ebay, maybe u still have a chance to cancel your order.

I bought the Dj1 at first, but after reading alot on this website, you will want to upgrade to something better. After owning the Dj1 for about 2 months, i upgraded to the Pro900, it's exactly what i am looking for. Both the Dj1 and Pro900 does not isolate the outside noise too well, so using it outside is not recommended.

so if you are like me and know that you are going to upgrade in the future, just go ahead and jump to a higher end headphone. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #19 of 131
^^^Listen to this dude he speaks the truth. I have seen the 780s go down into the 130ish range before on amazon and 580s into the $11X range. Ultrasones (at least the ones I tried) are the best for EDM/Hip Hop but can get bright... very bright. I really like brightness.
Quote:

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 131

Quote:
I've learn from my years of experience in e-shopping, first rule is to never make a purchase after midnight.. 90% of the stuff i buy after midnight i regret getting it or overpaying for it. 

The hfi dj1/580 and 780 is a good buy for trance music. they sale it on bhphotovideo for 137 and 150$ with free shipping in the US. so if you feel that you overpaid for them on ebay, maybe u still have a chance to cancel your order.

I bought the Dj1 at first, but after reading alot on this website, you will want to upgrade to something better. After owning the Dj1 for about 2 months, i upgraded to the Pro900, it's exactly what i am looking for. Both the Dj1 and Pro900 does not isolate the outside noise too well, so using it outside is not recommended.

so if you are like me and know that you are going to upgrade in the future, just go ahead and jump to a higher end headphone. 

HAhaha.  I always want to upgrade!   Even though this is my first nice headphone, I'm sure I'll want a better one.  Thanks so much for the help.  This site has been fantastic so far, as far as help.  (I'll have to be careful though, because everyone seems to want to help, but can offer differing opinions.)  

I just ordered the 780's for the $180 that I previously mentioned.  Oops!  BHphotovideo was out of stock anyway.  How did you know that BHphotovideo sells it that low?   I did a fair amount of research for pricing specifically, about half an hour, and never came across that.  Is that just a "go to" site?  Anyways, thanks again for the help.  There's no going back now, but I'm sure I will like them

I also ordered a pair of [size=small]V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone so I have a good phone ( i think) that I can wear around the city and not worry about breaking them.  Wonder if that was a good idea.[/size]

Quote:
^^^Listen to this dude he speaks the truth. I have seen the 780s go down into the 130ish range before on amazon and 580s into the $11X range. Ultrasones (at least the ones I tried) are the best for EDM/Hip Hop but can get bright... very bright. I really like brightness.

Cool man, thanks.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #21 of 131

Quote:

HAhaha.  I always want to upgrade!   Even though this is my first nice headphone, I'm sure I'll want a better one.  Thanks so much for the help.  This site has been fantastic so far, as far as help.  (I'll have to be careful though, because everyone seems to want to help, but can offer differing opinions.)  

I just ordered the 780's for the $180 that I previously mentioned.  Oops!  BHphotovideo was out of stock anyway.  How did you know that BHphotovideo sells it that low?   I did a fair amount of research for pricing specifically, about half an hour, and never came across that.  Is that just a "go to" site?  Anyways, thanks again for the help.  There's no going back now, but I'm sure I will like them

I would prefer the 580s over the 780s as the bass impact is better. But still, you won't go wrong with either one. You'll have a great time listening to your EDM tracks on an Ultrasone.

Just a heads up, both Ultrasone models come with a 3m straight cable. I had to braid my 580 to make it portable. :/

Edit: Checking the Ultrasone website, it seems the 780 now comes with a 1m cable and a 4m extension cord? 1m is a  little too short, and 4m is too long.

Straight cord (length ca 1m) / 3.5mm gold-plated plug incl. extension cord (ca 4m)

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #22 of 131

Quote:

I would prefer the 580s over the 780s as the bass impact is better. But still, you won't go wrong with either one. You'll have a great time listening to your EDM tracks on an Ultrasone.

Just a heads up, both Ultrasone models come with a 3m straight cable. I had to braid my 580 to make it portable. :/

Edit: Checking the Ultrasone website, it seems the 780 now comes with a 1m cable and a 4m extension cord? 1m is a  little too short, and 4m is too long.

Straight cord (length ca 1m) / 3.5mm gold-plated plug incl. extension cord (ca 4m)

Good.  I already went with the 780's, and that might be better, cause I dont want to get a portable amp, and dont' know how to build one, either.  I can deal with the 3M cable, I'll just tuck it through my shirt and then pocket it.  Thanks for the info.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #23 of 131

Quote:

Αre you serious man?
Are we talking for the same headphone ?
DJ1 isolates pretty damn good..
I wear them every day outdoors,on the metro,on the bus and i can't hear a single thing except from my tunes..
Of course isolation works at it's best when music is played not when it is stopped..
And almost everybody who owns DJ1/580 can confirm that..

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #25 of 131
What do we think of the Sony XB700 Series, I like em for every bit of electronic Music I listen to, including Trance, Dub Step, DnB and some House. The Sony's are dark though although if you do a quick Mod on em they get a little brighter and have a little more Bass Impact, still though I'll admit the Sony's lack mid... and the highs are nice but not "sweet" still for $80 you get some SERIOUS bang for ya dollar

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #26 of 131
Here are my opinions of the headphones you mentioned in the first post:

[size=1.7em] Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones[/size]

Not bad, but a little muddy sounding. Their elevated bass has a tendency to drown out other frequencies, but this might not be a big issue for electronic music.

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD448 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone[/size]

I'd say this is a pretty bad choice since the bass is really sloppy and lacks control in these cans. Not a great can for electronic music, or any music IMO

[size=1.7em]Shure SRH840 Professional Monitoring Earphones (Black)[/size]
A great choice. Very clear-sounding headphone with slightly emphasized bass, but not overly so. Unfortunately, a lot of people have issues with their comfort level as they are quite heavy and the headband causes headaches for many (myself included).

[size=1.7em]Audio Technica ATHESW9A Portable Wooden Headphones[/size]
Never heard these.

[size=1.7em] beyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphones[/size]

The recessed midrange might be an issue but then again, it might not. It depends on your preferences. You'd also need to decide on what impedance version to get. With this said, this can is not great without an amp. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #27 of 131
Although I love my Sony's and I recommend them for any bass loving electronic listener, I am anxious my self to get  a pair of Beyerdynamic's I've heard good things about the 880 Pro's. Still though I'm always curious as to why no one EVER recommends the XB700's when Electronic Music is mentioned :/, alas though... until I get some more cash or better connections I won't complain to much... I need some listening experince under my belt before I can really support my Cans ^^

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #29 of 131

Quote:
My 780s came with a 1M cable and then an extension. I found it pretty nice for portable use.

I believe I remember reading that the first gen came with 2 models, one with 1M cable and one with 3 M cable.  They have now discontinued use of one of the versions IIRC.

Quote:
What do we think of the Sony XB700 Series, I like em for every bit of electronic Music I listen to, including Trance, Dub Step, DnB and some House. The Sony's are dark though although if you do a quick Mod on em they get a little brighter and have a little more Bass Impact, still though I'll admit the Sony's lack mid... and the highs are nice but not "sweet" still for $80 you get some SERIOUS bang for ya dollar

I looked into those.  I heard you get some killer bass, but lacking highs.  Still though, for 80 bucks its a good deal.

Quote:
Although I love my Sony's and I recommend them for any bass loving electronic listener, I am anxious my self to get  a pair of Beyerdynamic's I've heard good things about the 880 Pro's. Still though I'm always curious as to why no one EVER recommends the XB700's when Electronic Music is mentioned :/, alas though... until I get some more cash or better connections I won't complain to much... I need some listening experince under my belt before I can really support my Cans ^^

I've heard great things about Beyerdynamics also.  There is a guy on ebay named "razordogdeals" that is selling the 880's for $250.  I bid $180 on a $250 pair of phones and got it.  He has a "make offer now" function that allows you to make an offer and have him refuse/accept it right away.  Just FYI.  I eventually found my pair of phones for $150 from BHphotoandvideo afterwards anway.  Also, a lot of people recommended the XB700 during my four hour study session on phones.

Quote:
scratch the hd448 for your purposes..not enough bass

great headphone though for a "flat" sound..very very comfy

thanks.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #30 of 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theocrooks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe I remember reading that the first gen came with 2 models, one with 1M cable and one with 3 M cable.  They have now discontinued use of one of the versions IIRC.

I think they have discontinued the straight 3m cable version. It's a bit dodgy to be carrying around a headphone with such a long cable. Trust me, I've tried. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back