Best headphones straight out of an iPod?
Aug 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

timmymagic07

New Head-Fier
Hello,

All in subject really, which are the best quality headphones for use straight out of an iPod using FLAC as source? Without the need for amping.

Will be using these on the tube, so closed back preferable, although I do not mind listening to the music slightly less loud if quality is that much better.

Any help appreciated,

Tim

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 14
Beyerdynamic T5p. Haven't heard them, but looking at the measurements and the very portable design, impedance and efficiency you can't go wrong.

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Having said that, what about the T70p?

I have some DT880s that I love, but at 600ohn and being very open they are impractical to take on the tube.

Sorry, can't help you there. My knowledge is limited to what I read with most headphones!

Rather than saying "best" though, it might help to mention the genres you listen to in your first post or even better the sound signature you're looking for. The genre you listen to strongly influences what would be the best headphone. The DT880 is more of a referency headphone so the t70p should be quite similar to the 880.

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #6 of 14
Haven't read a little I do notice that a lot, headphone choice depends on your taste in music and what you listen to. But I tend to listen to "anything that sounds good" to me, so generally an all round headphone would be preferable.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 14
Sennheiser Amperior

Sennheiser HD25 II

V-MODA M80

B&W P3 or P5

Cheerz !

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #11 of 14
I think D2000 - is nice, but leaks sound.

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #12 of 14
I'd agree with KBerube and say that Grado are my favorite unamped out an ipod, especially those like RS-1 & HF-1 with wooden housing that tames the treble and improves the bass.  Closed-back I'd go for Denons if you want bass but don't mind recessed mids or Shure 840/940 if you need to block sound.  For true isolation & portability iems are best imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back