Best Headphones for Rock Around $50?
Jul 19, 2011 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Crynix

New Head-Fier
My father is in the market for headphones, he wants to use them at home and at work without disturbing other employees. He does not have an external amp or dac so they will have to sound decent out of a work computer. He will be using them with Spotify so sound quality isn't his #1 priority. They have to be decently comfortable and he will primarily be listening to rock from the 80s. I let him try my M50s and he said he wanted the exact pair (except for the price tag). I'm thinking the MDR-XB500's might be for him because he said he likes the bass, but any recommendations would be great!

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 21

JVC RX700
Cheap, durable, comfortable,  and won't hit you for using a low quality source.  The sound in general is quite respectable for the price.

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 21
Look into ATH SJ5's, Senn HD201's, and Panasonic RP-HTX7's. I like them all. Although isolation on the senns are adequate for an office but not really good otherwise when commuting. The most comfortable of the three though.

EDIT: Just reread your post and saw that your dad wants bass, so forget the 201's since they're a bit bass-shy. That leaves the sj5's and the rp htx7's. yay for rock music from the 80's 
tongue.gif

Aug 5, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 21
You might check Sonystyle to see if they have any refurb MDR-V6s in stock. Last I saw they were going for $40. It's a very good headphone, especially at that price.

Aug 5, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 21
Agreed 100%. I used these cans extensively and they aren't terribly revealing (avoiding the negative side effects of that), but they have excellent response across all ranges including bass, and a very attractive soundstage. They're also dirt-cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX700-High-Grade-Full-Size-Headphone/dp/B0013OWPV4

Quote:
JVC RX700
Cheap, durable, comfortable,  and won't hit you for using a low quality source.  The sound in general is quite respectable for the price.

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 21

if he likes how the m50's sound, id go with the m30's as well... i personally like a good soundstage with 80s rock so id suggest sennheiser hd515 (its open-aire) or the grado sr60s

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 21
For $50 there is nothing better than a Kicker Hp541.. It will even give your M50 a run for sounds.. No joke.. It will do rock actually better than the M50 as it has the most authoritative mids..And believe it or not better BASS than the m50 I know as I have both.. You might even like em once you get em.. I agree that the HARX700 is a good bang per buck but they are huge on the head..  The kickers will shock you how good they are for the little bit extra..

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:

if he likes how the m50's sound, id go with the m30's as well... i personally like a good soundstage with 80s rock so id suggest sennheiser hd515 (its open-aire) or the grado sr60s

its already been established he cant disturb his co-workers, so open-air 'phones are outta the question.

i second the MDR-V6s. Might need to get it refurbed to keep it under $50, but the V6s are worth every penny of it's new price anyways. there's a reason why its been around for so long... people protest when Sony tries to discontinue it.

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 21
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between two headphones, the Sennheiser HD 201's and the JVC HAS700. My budget is $30, and the 201's are 22, the HAS700 are 30. Plan to use them for everything (music/games/movies) and I listen to mostly light rock and just a song here and there from different genres. Any more suggestions are welcome as well, as long as they don't exceed their budget.

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 21
JVC HARX7000, $33 and change shipped free on Amazon. End of story, no need to look further.

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between two headphones, the Sennheiser HD 201's and the JVC HAS700. My budget is $30, and the 201's are 22, the HAS700 are 30. Plan to use them for everything (music/games/movies) and I listen to mostly light rock and just a song here and there from different genres. Any more suggestions are welcome as well, as long as they don't exceed their budget.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
You might check Sonystyle to see if they have any refurb MDR-V6s in stock. Last I saw they were going for $40. It's a very good headphone, especially at that price.

Quote:

i second the MDR-V6s. Might need to get it refurbed to keep it under $50, but the V6s are worth every penny of it's new price anyways. there's a reason why its been around for so long... people protest when Sony tries to discontinue it.

A 3rd vote for the MDR-V6.  

65.00 shipped from top dealers like Amazon, but they're a far better value at that price than any headphones I know of selling for 50.00.

Excellent headphones for rock music, well made, proven over many years.
They'll also last a long time, even if not treated very well.

Keeping it at 50.00 I'd lean toward the Beyer DT235 or Yamaha RH5MA.  
(The Yamaha is "semi-open" but has very little sound leakage; inaudible from a few feet away.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back