Best Headphones for Rock Around $50?
Aug 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 21
  Hey Crynix,

I have the At50s and I love em! they have a balanced up front presentation with treble extension that goes on and on and full articulated  bass. I have been searching for the perfect portable with similar dynamics and have just recieved my AKG K518 DJ LE red color from amazon for only $44.00 this morning! I still can't believe my ears right out of my ipone 4. If you love the AT50s as much as I do you will probably totally love the K518 DJs  as they also have crazy treble extension and FULL bass. The AKGs are much funner cans to listen to than almost anything else I have.  Right out of the box this morning I couldn't believe my ears (no burn in). I haven't found anything that comes close to these. I also have Denon D2000 (Awesome but could use a little more bass for me but awesome stage and treble), Sony MDR V-6 (overly bright and subdued bass for todays music my opinion only I don't even listen to these anymore), AT M50s (awesome, a lil more fun than D2000 but not as refined),

Portables: Sennheiser PX-100(old but still good. Balanced. age is showing in sound quality), Px-100 II (good bass but pulled highs makes some songs sound off), HD 238 (my favorite open port that I own. It has airy treble and stage for port. good and balanced with a bump in the bass/. almost everything I throw at these sound great.), AKG K 430 (similar dynamics to the K518s but the 518s are so much more refined still awesome though and more portable), AKG Q460 (sucks ass. no treble extension at all but great bass reminds me of beats solo), Ultrasone 15G (great dynamics but slightly diffused mids and slightly inefficient, still sound good) Audio Technica ES-55(Great closed can.Balanced, efficient, detailed, and isolation but more laid back than AKG. AKG has more treble extension and strongler bass. If I had to go and purchase headphones again knowing what I know now I could be very happy with just these and I've only had them for half a day! I just had to give a shout out on these wonderful cans that should cost the regular list price but since I stole these at $44 had to let you know.

there are some cons that I read a lot about. The clamping force is normal to me but a lot of peeps have complained. If you need to listen for just an hour or so you shouln't have anything to worry about

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #18 of 21

Quote:

Thw JVC HAS700 is much better in my opinion. I gave away the 201 as it has no bass and is hard to drive from a portable.

Yup, with some equalizer tweaks it sounds better than the 201's for rock...with some metal songs also. 

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 21
Got the V6 recently and I love it. My favorite headphone at the moment as it's not too expensive and full of detail. The only thing though is if your dad likes bass, he might not be that wowed by it. It's a little light on bass (although it is more realistic and it has great extension). Basically, if the track calls for bass, he'll feel it. It all depends on the recording.  

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #21 of 21
Ok just an update on my new AKG K518s. These phones have about twice the bass as the AT M50s much like an added sub. The M50s have better treble extension today not taking anything away from the already present shiny highs of the AKGs. (burn baby burn) The AKGs bring a glowing warmth to the presentation making everything so rich and luscious. I personally love them to pieces. These are I would say mid-sized closed cans. They fit on ear and clamp a bit. Oh and final note only certain colors are well below usual price. hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back