Best headphones ~$100-125
Jul 22, 2011 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Potamotrygon

New Head-Fier
My apologies if this gets asked incessantly, but I don't know what keywords to search for

I am looking for some headphones to replace the POS earbuds that came with my sansa MP3 player and also to use on my computer for music/gaming.

Recently I learned that the type of music is a relevant factor (very new to this audiophile business). I listen to Dream Theater, Ayreon, and other progressive rock/metal, sourced from my computer (FLAC). 

I like the look of Grados but am concerned about leakage when in public. I borrowed some ATH A700 from my brother, obviously they sound fantastic compared to garbage earbuds, but I am trying to stay impartial when judging brands. Are these still a good choice or are there better/newer options?

I don't intend to get an amp at this point. 

Thanks

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 16
Did you notice how much the Ad700 leaked? It's a LOT worse then Grado

my Ad500 vs. Sr80i:

Sound: Sr80i
Comfort: Ad500, but can get annoying. Grado can be worn for a LOOONG time
Build: SR80i

Go for some SR60i because they have more bass and then get a pair of L-cush pads to set on them. they don't need a amp and don't be afraid when people say they lack bass, they have enough bass to go for a long time. 

On leakage, I can barely hear them when I put them down and people around me can't hear them at all.

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 16
I tried the AD700s again and you are right, the leakage is very noticeable at higher volumes. 

Are the SR125i's worth the extra money, even without an amp? Or should I stay at the SR80 level?

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 16
shure srh440 perhaps.

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
shure srh440 perhaps.

With 840 pads? 
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I tried the AD700s again and you are right, the leakage is very noticeable at higher volumes. 

Are the SR125i's worth the extra money, even without an amp? Or should I stay at the SR80 level?

Buy the most Grado you can, but also think about future modding.

And a word from the wise, the right pads on a Grado do make the cans. My unmodded Grado sounded great, then I added custom earpads and the bass came out as did the clarity and separation even more.

Custom earpad instructions here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/562891/request-custom-earpad-tutorial-for-fullsized-cans

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
I got my Crossfade LPs (V Moda) for $120 on Amazon

They can't touch gloves with Grado's sound quality. 

but if you do care about looks, if you like the looks of Crossfade, you can't do better. But a lot of headfi'ers agree that Grado are nice looking headphones.

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 16
Why not get an A700? You already know that you like that sound.

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 16
I have been reading great reviews of the Ultrasone HFI-580, in particular that they are better than the AT M50s at a cheaper price. Thoughts? Strong bass doesn't bother me.

Quote:
shure srh440 perhaps.

Quote:

With 840 pads? 
wink.gif

I might as well just buy the 840, it's in my price range.

Quote:
Why not get an A700? You already know that you like that sound.

If i'd borrowed a pair of beats, I'm sure they would sound great too compared to cheap earbuds. I am also not fond of the very large circular earpiece things  (cups?)

Quote:
Did you notice how much the Ad700 leaked? It's a LOT worse then Grado

my Ad500 vs. Sr80i:

Sound: Sr80i
Comfort: Ad500, but can get annoying. Grado can be worn for a LOOONG time
Build: SR80i

Go for some SR60i because they have more bass and then get a pair of L-cush pads to set on them. they don't need a amp and don't be afraid when people say they lack bass, they have enough bass to go for a long time. 

On leakage, I can barely hear them when I put them down and people around me can't hear them at all.

The reviews I see indicate that leakage is significant compared to other headphones. Do modified/replaced pads reduce this?

thanks for all the assistance 

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:

Beats play rock about as well as a toaster can swim

I laughed.

To Op, stop worrying about Leakage. The AD700 leak like a boat and buckshot.

If you have Grado at a good volume, enough to hear everything, you can't hear them no more then 3 feet away.

Custom pads do diminish the leakage because the seal that the driver is pointing out of is better. Pleather pads are best for this. But seriously, Leakage is the LEAST of your worries. Custom pads just increase sound quality, I'm guessing on Grado about 1.5 times more. Other cans like the T50RP I used as an example gave out 2 times more.

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:

I laughed.

To Op, stop worrying about Leakage. The AD700 leak like a boat and buckshot.

If you have Grado at a good volume, enough to hear everything, you can't hear them no more then 3 feet away.

Custom pads do diminish the leakage because the seal that the driver is pointing out of is better. Pleather pads are best for this. But seriously, Leakage is the LEAST of your worries. Custom pads just increase sound quality, I'm guessing on Grado about 1.5 times more. Other cans like the T50RP I used as an example gave out 2 times more.

A700, not AD700.

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
I have been reading great reviews of the Ultrasone HFI-580, in particular that they are better than the AT M50s at a cheaper price. Thoughts? Strong bass doesn't bother me.

I might as well just buy the 840, it's in my price range.

i would definitely go with those if you find them for $125. mine cost $130 and they are amazing. some say rock sounds slow but i think otherwise.

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:

I love them. One good thing about the exciting sound signature is you can listen to them at lower volumes, and normal volumes they're one of the most funs cans at their price. Isolation is good, and they are super portable. But if you prefer highs to lows, you'd like the HFI-780 better. It's basically the same except for that difference and they have more detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back