Best Grado Headphone..?
Sep 27, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #46 of 56

Quote:
I've only heard the RS1 briefly so I'll just comment on the 225(i). The HF2 one is definitely a warmer headphone compared to the 225. The bass on the HF2 has much more impact. Some of that might be a mid bass hump, but it doesn't really intrude on the mids. I think with the richer mids the HF2 is more balanced than the 225. I'm not pretending the HF2 is a balanced headphone or loses the Grado family sound, I'm just saying, to me, it's a bit more balanced. The HF2 is quite a bit more refined overall also. The highs aren't as aggressive (harsh?). The HF2 is truly a great Grado. I often miss them. They also improved (mainly soundstage) with the jumbo pads, IMHO, where other Grados did not or made the sound worse.

So why did you give them up?

I like the MS2i's but I think I preferred the 225 and I've been told that the HF2's are very similar in signature to the 225's just with better bass and mids. If I have a criticism of these MS2i's it's that they dont have as much bass impact as  I wish they did, but they are silky smooth and synergize well with a good deal of my library. So if I opt to go to the HF2 it will be to satisfy my desire for more bass impact but does that then mean I have to compromise on something else?

The other thing is spending $200 for a pair of new 225's or a used pair of MS2i's is quite a bit different than dropping twice that amount for a pair that's probably similar to both in many ways. Although I see from your sig that you were willing to spend even more than that. Which is why I suppose you gave them up. Do those things sound as sweet as they look. And if you find yourself missing the HF2's is it because you get a lot of bang for your buck?

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelJung  

" So why did you give them up?
I like the MS2i's but I think I preferred the 225 and I've been told that the HF2's are very similar in signature to the 225's just with better bass and mids. If I have a criticism of these MS2i's it's that they dont have as much bass impact as  I wish they did, but they are silky smooth and synergize well with a good deal of my library. So if I opt to go to the HF2 it will be to satisfy my desire for more bass impact but does that then mean I have to compromise on something else?
The other thing is spending $200 for a pair of new 225' s or a used pair of MS2i's is quite a bit different than dropping twice that amount for a pair that's probably similar to both in many ways. Although I see from your sig that you were willing to spend even more than that. Which is why I suppose you gave them up. Do those things sound as sweet as they look. And if you find yourself missing the HF2's is it because you get a lot of bang for your buck?"

At that time I had too many full sized headphones. My preference has moved from the more fun sound of the Grado to more neutral sounding headphones. So the HF2 was just sitting on it's stand and not getting any used. I had since picked up (again) and sold the SR-225i to try returning to the Grado sound. Unfortunately I just couldn't go back to the colorful 225i. That said, if I would ever return to any Grado, the HF2 would be it. The HF2 is just a terrific headphone. Especially with the jumbos. If you want richer bass, the HF2 is the way to go.

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #48 of 56
Thanks Baka. I'm really leaning heavily toward getting a pair. In the mean time I've also really started to enjoy the MS2i's I picked up which is making me reluctant to spend more money on headphones, because I will have to sell them to help recoup the cost of the HF2's. Me thinks I've fallen down the head fi rabbit hole. Oh noooooooo
eek.gif

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #49 of 56
I have read some articles about drilling holes into the back of sr80i headphones for more bass! But none of the posts I could find said what size holes, but the amount of holes varied from approx., 2-10, holes from what ive read, so I drilled 3 holes, with the driver wire facing down at 9,12 and 3 oclock I drilled 9/64 size holes through the felt on the driver housing. I definitly!!! have more bass and warmth, but I feel I lost that signature sound that I really liked prior to doing this. Also on some recordings the very low frequencys are distorted and muddy, and the music that really jumped out at you is now lost, they dont have that punch anymore. (Bad move IMO). Can someone please comment on what size holes maybe I should have drilled also how many? Also what kind of results did you encounter wit this mod? Thanks.                                                             

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #51 of 56
  Just recieved my first Grados today. A pair of 325is.Already modifing with G cushions & snap on padded headband cushion.What can I expect for burn in time?

Congrats....you just got yourself an amazing pair of cans.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #54 of 56
I voted for the SR60 (or SR60i, doesn't matter). Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather own an RS-1, but the SR60 is the best Grado ever made. There's no other headphone that puts so much hi-fi in a person's hands for less than $100. I've given away dozens of pairs to friends and family over the years. They all love the comfortable pads, the fact that they're open and they can still hear other people with them on, and most importantly, they sound freaking good.

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #55 of 56
  I voted for the SR60 (or SR60i, doesn't matter). Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather own an RS-1, but the SR60 is the best Grado ever made. There's no other headphone that puts so much hi-fi in a person's hands for less than $100. I've given away dozens of pairs to friends and family over the years. They all love the comfortable pads, the fact that they're open and they can still hear other people with them on, and most importantly, they sound freaking good.

Yea....for the price...everybody should own the SR60!

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #56 of 56
Me too, I have a pair of the 80's too, and can't tell the difference. My 60's are at least 15 years old and have been thrown around in my electronics lab-office for the last 10 years. They are on their 3rd set of ear pads, and they still sound great, these darn things are durable. I really should try and listen to some more expensive ones but these are so good I'm not sure there is much point. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back